New BA formations in WD 47

SonOfThunder

Posted · Hidden by Morticon, December 17, 2014 - unconstructive
Hidden by Morticon, December 17, 2014 - unconstructive

I would have used the Angel's Fury formation IF IT WERE IN THE GODDAMN 30 QUIDS CODEX LIKE IT IS SUPPOSED TO. As is, I won't pay to support a DLC model for a tabletop game, censored.gif you very much GW. I'll wait for the day it gets released for free, or die waiting.

Holy crap, I can't believe how enraged I am. God damn it, Day One DLC bull:cuss in a tabletop game.. Unbelievable. It's a whole new low, AFAIC.

If it was supposed to be there, it would be.

As an aside, some people really need to chill out a bit as it's only a game. It's a tiddly little optional extra that makes White Dwarf somewhat interesting this month. Whoopie do.

Give me one good reason why it wouldn't be, considering it is released in the same week? This is the GW equivalent of selling DLC codes to unlock content on a game disc. It's bull:cuss. Pure, unadulterated, anti-consumer bull:cuss.

I'm not sure you get my idea - I fly in my 3 stormravens turn 1, then drop 2-3 drop pods without scattering and charge your serpents with DC (the only reliable way to kill those bastards)!

I don't think this will work. The formation special rule overrides the rule that you cannot assault on the turn you deep strike. It does not override the rule that prevents a unit from assaulting the turn it disembarks from a Pod. IIRC this is part of the Pod's rules and nothing to do with Deep Strike.

Would runing 2 formations work? 3SR+3tacs and the terminator formation+termi Libby.

I don't see why not. I think you can make an army of just formations if you want. I don't remember a rule that you must include a detachment.

A Formation is a Detachment.

Drop Pods are open, so you can charge from them just fine ;D 

I see what you mean about the formation special rule, your idea would work if there was not a rule listed under drop pod that specifically says "A unit arriving via drop pod cannot assault on the turn it arrives"

Look up drop pod assault rules! listed under the drop pod itself.

Against Eldar, at least one SR will be shot down and their fast movement will allow them to dominate the capping game.

Against Tau, two Ravens will go down T1-2.

You simply have too few units on the field and the Ravens do not posses enough firepower to make a difference.

Sorry guys, we can't beat Tau or Eldar.

Pack up your stuff and sell the army and burn the Codex.

It's time to go home.

As awsome as it sounds I don't think I could use turn 1 drop pod assaults with death company on someone! It would be to broken and nobody would want to play with you for very long!

I never got why 1st turn annihilation through CC is so much worse than 1st turn annihilation through shooting.

f-f-f-f-f-f-f.... special rule on special rule are you sure drop pods still have that line in there? I didn't even know about that one (and wasn't not really necessary except for this formation now) -.-

As awsome as it sounds I don't think I could use turn 1 drop pod assaults with death company on someone! It would be to broken and nobody would want to play with you for very long!

I'm building lists for the national and european tournaments, everything goes ;P

Sorry guys, we can't beat Tau or Eldar.

Pack up your stuff and sell the army and burn the Codex.

It's time to go home.

I already managed to build some armies that could beat eldar, it just takes some practice and a bit of luck :D

I never got why 1st turn annihilation through CC is so much worse than 1st turn annihilation through shooting.

I guess you have a point. How ever its pointless debating it as we cant do it!

f-f-f-f-f-f-f.... special rule on special rule are you sure drop pods still have that line in there? I didn't even know about that one (and wasn't not really necessary except for this formation now) -.-

I don't have my new dex on me to check, I did only read it in the regular space marine dex, I'm pretty sure they are identical, but would pay to check if someone has the new codex handy.

Might keep your hopes up for a little longer anyway!

Probably because whatever survives 1st turn shooting can still do things, but whatever survives 1st turn CC is still locked in combat and all it can do is continue dying.

What can charge when will be an issue with this formation. It's not meant for drop pods, that's for sure, it's meant for assault troops coming through deep striking themselves. Assault turn 2. Which is still great, but not as broken since the opponent at least has one turn to try to run or nuke your ravens. I think this can use a FAQ from GW. Drop pods can still fall without scatter turn 1 though, which is already very good too, even if they can't assault.

But isn't the TDA Librarian out of any formation/detachment, thus making the army unbound?

How do you mean?

Can you have detachments (formations for example) in an unbound army?

The Unbound method is the easiest way to organise an army: simply use whichever units from your collection you want. Besides being a quick way to get your models on the tabletop, the Unbound method also allows you to try out exciting combinations in your army, such as fielding a whole force of Tanks or Flyers, or even of special characters.

This says nothing about being allowed to group some of your units into a detachament and reap that detachment's benefits.

A player using the Battle-forged method must organise all the units they want to use into Detachments. Detachments are made up of units that conform to various requirements.

So two formations plus a libby cannot be a battle-forged army.

Probably because whatever survives 1st turn shooting can still do things, but whatever survives 1st turn CC is still locked in combat and all it can do is continue dying.

What can charge when will be an issue with this formation. It's not meant for drop pods, that's for sure, it's meant for assault troops coming through deep striking themselves. Assault turn 2. Which is still great, but not as broken since the opponent at least has one turn to try to run or nuke your ravens. I think this can use a FAQ from GW. Drop pods can still fall without scatter turn 1 though, which is already very good too, even if they can't assault.

Well some armies are better at CC and others are better a shooting. If a unit that arrives 1st turn charges and remains in CC, it has not reached the goal of annihilating that unit. Not only has the enemy the ability to deal damage in his turn he also had the ability to do so on the charger's turn. With shooting you have no option to retaliate on the opponent's turn. If the charger has destroyed the enemy unit, it is out in the open and can be shot at and charged normally on the opponent's turn.

Also don't forget reserve manipulation. IIRC the formation has to roll on turn 1 to come in. Another thing is interceptor fire. That can ruin the tactic before it even started.

You can have Formations in an Unbound army.

Please quote that rule. AFAIK unbound armies can only consist of units, not of detachments in general or formations in particular.

Unlike other Detachments, Formations can also be taken as part of Unbound armies. If they are, their units maintain the special rules gained for being part

of the Formation.

you don't need to skies of fury, you count radius off effect for those that are transported as emanating from the hull of the vehicle. 

so they can stay onboard.

Thats a stretch since the raven isn't a model equipped with a teleport homer. Standard language for THs state the bearer must be on the battlefield fyi. I'd be happy to be proven wrong with a rules reference but I'm pretty sure that type of thing is all but eliminated in 7th. 

Either way I see some shenanigans with GKs rites of teleportation in the near future!

I see Assault Centurions finally not being laughably bad.

Archived