New BA formations in WD 47

SonOfThunder

This is interesting, as a drop pod is an assault vehicle

No GW drop pods are assault vehicles. BA, DA, SM and SW drop pods are vehicles (open topped, transport) and have three special rules drop pod assault, immobile and Inertial Guidance System. None of them allows disembarking units to charge.

@Jolemai: To arrive from deep strike you have to have the deep strike or similar special rule. Tactical squads and Sternguard squads do not have that rule. So those units at least cannot arrive from deep strike. They (and it would not make sense for ASM to behave differently) simply arrive embarked in the drop pod, which arrives via deep strike.

In order for a unit to be able to Deep Strike, all models in the unit must have the Deep

Strike special rule and the unit must start the game in Reserve.

[...]

Deep Strike and Transports

Units do not confer the Deep Strike special rule onto a Transport vehicle they are embarked inside. A Transport vehicle with Deep Strike may Deep Strike regardless of whether its passengers have Deep Strike or not.

Only if the passengers do not arrive via deep strike can both rules apply. They simply appear on the battlefield in the drop pod and must disembark immediately following all rules for disembarking (i.e. no charging).

All open-topped vehicles are Assault Vehicles.

I am going through my entire collection today and updating baggies and boxes to bring the queue into line with the new codex.  I am also going to be reallocating my excess models over to Flesh Tearers.

Formation Question:  Say I run the Blood Rain Formation, but I want to include more than just what's listed.  Do I have to run another Formation/Detachment/Thingy to get the rest of my army?

Yes. You need another detachment with their included tax.

Or you could go unbound. The units from the formation would still get all the benefits of being a formation. The additional units however would not receive any detachment benefits like Red Thirst.

Unlike other Detachments, Formations can also be taken as part of Unbound armies. If they are, their units maintain the special rules gained for being part of the Formation.

Archived