Supplement?

Praefectus Invictus

seems like it'd be pretty cool for games of about 2k (basically the smallest I play these days anyway)

spend about 1200 on the ravens, then use either the archangels detachment to take a karlean and some terminators.

three ravens can lay down a lot of firepower, 3 tactical squads in them will need to jump out ASAP to get the most use out of them, but having objective secured is really handy. Then the terminator units (assault terminators probably!) wade into melee turn 2 when they arrive.

Due to increased turn length in 7ed, most tournaments use 1500-1750. At that point, tripple SR with two tacs in too expensive. Also, if you want SW with low tax, go Champions of Fenris an buy two solo naked servitors. 10 points each. 20pts, bam, requirements fulfilled. Now stack up on killer HQ and FA.

As for Exterminatus, GW has done good job not overdoing it. Also not 'underdoing' (new word) it. They fluffy, situational, a nod at previous incarnations from 5ed and have good use a big 3k games while stopping from exploding the tournament scene like Eldar did. They are keeping it constant on the level of 7ed codecies.

This is why it is so frustrating. I was secretly hoping for a game changer, but it won't be the case.

The only reason why I won't be running the spearhead formation is because despite owning 7 or 8000 points of BA, I don't have any stormravens!

If I did, the formation would be an auto-take alongside an Archangels detachment with squads of Vanguard Vets/Terminator Assault Squads. Vanguard Vets might be better due to their cheaper cost and ability to multicharge without penalty.

Archived