Shield of Baal fiction?

ServoBadger

I read tempestus and deathstorm, have all the rest too.

Tempestus was quite good, no BA involved but does a pretty good job of showing how inquisitors can mess up without being bad guys.

Deathstorm was actually enjoyable, quite nice character progression in it and I liked how the BA are represented.

I just finished Deathstorm, and it's really good. I particularly enjoyed the glimpse into the mind of marines (and a dreadnought!) consumed by the Black Rage. They really came across as tragic figures, more lost and confused than frothing madmen. I mean, they were also frothing madmen, but they were sad and confused frothing madmen. It was really very sad.

The necrons were never meant to fight the BA on Gehenna. The silent king was using the mass amount of humans there as bait to draw in the tyranid hive fleet so he could destroy it. He fundamentally believes that all tyranids have to be destroyed as their sole purpose is to consume life. He meets with Dante, Tycho, and a random 3rd BA to discuss an alliance. As part of the meeting, he has a mask of Sanquinuis created from when he met the primarch milennia earlier. Dante gets pissed about it cause his death mask is one that shows the primarch's rage while the silent king's is that of the primarch at his most benevolent and peaceful.

It continues and says that the SK thinks that had his alliance with Sanguinius had worked, the tyranids would never had come to this end of the galaxy. He also says he would have made a better emperor (he being Sanguinius). He also says that he hopes one day there will be reconciliation with humans and necrons.

It ends up that the necrons start to fade out when it's clear that they will win, leaving the planet to the BA. Dante had plans of killing the silent king when they met up after the battles but never had the chance. The silent king actually spoke to Dante, telling him that the tyranids are the rising storm and that he must become the shield.

Just finished reading word of the silent king.  It's pretty interesting and sadly too short (short story, eh?).  It does clear up the necron blood angel brofist and that it wasn't much of a stable alliance.  The dialogue is interesting to see humans and necrons communicating, though most of the talking is done by a newly introduced necron leader.

I'd summarize it more and give a better synopsis but I dont know how to do spoiler tags on here.

Edit: Here's the spoiler (thx ElectricPaladin!):

Just finished reading word of the silent king.  It's pretty interesting and sadly too short (short story, eh?).  It does clear up the necron blood angel brofist and that it wasn't much of a stable alliance.  The dialogue is interesting to see humans and necrons communicating, though most of the talking is done by a newly introduced necron leader.

I'd summarize it more and give a better synopsis but I dont know how to do spoiler tags on here.

Switch to HTML mode and do [*poiler] [/*poiler], but *=s.

Archived