DTs allowed in formations?

bushman101

Example: The Blood Angels Battle Company formation contains lots of units but no Rhinos, Pods or Razors in its entry. However the seperate unit entries allow these individual units to take various vehicles as Dedicated Transports.

Can I take DTs for these units and still run the formation?

Yes, because the transports would still belong to legal units for the formation:

"Sometimes a unit entry will include a transport option, allowing a vehicle to be selected together with the unit. These Dedicated Transports do not use up a slot on the force organization chart..."

As long as the Detachment doesn't specify that you can't use DTs, then you can per the rules for selecting DTs.

Ok, cool

I read that part of the rules, but discounted it since formations don't technically have slots. Just a list of units that must be taken

They do have Slots, they just aren't Role Slots like a standard Detachment, but rather UNIT Slots that list required units (DTs included unless otherwise specified as Bryan mentioned).

It gets complicated when the formation restricts the equipment of the squad. For example the Void Claws Formation requires all WGTDA to have 2LCs. Now does that mean this equipment and nothing else or does it mean they must have at least 2LC? Could you add 1 CML per 5 models? I'm inclined to say it is the former, because the formation also requires at least 5 WGTDA models, giving us the option to add more but no other options are explicitly noted. By extension this would mean that the void claws cannot take a DT, but both issues need to be clarified by GW.

hmmmm, interesting...

So its safe to assume that I can take gear unless its specifically not allowed by the formation?

Provided that the units listed HAVE options and those options aren't specifically forbidden, yes.

Now, most Formation data slates that have units like that usually include those options in their list as well.

Archived