Victory if last model dies on Sabotage?

Captain Antiochus

So my friend and I have an argument. Maelstrom. He has a tactical objective and it is a mysterious objective...it was also rolled as a sabotage. Okay so, he has 1 model left, that dies on the sabotage.. does he still collect the victory point even though his model/unit dies?

It was just the secure objective x card. I say logically if you die, you can't hold an objective ... however he says under page 137 of the BRB on achieving tactical objectives it states victory points are added to the VP pool. So.... if he dies, can he still claim the victory points?

Secure Objective gives you 1 Victory Point if you control the Objective at the end of the turn.

"You control an Objective Marker if there is at least one model from one of your scoring units (see below), and no models from enemy scoring units, within 3" of it."

At the end of the turn the model was dead and removed, not within 3" of the Objective Marker, so no Victory Point is earned.

First paragraph of what? We don't all use the print editions.

It was one of these objective types he was claiming he'd achieved, right?

Type: Capture & Control/Take & Hold/Storm & Defend

A vital objective has been identified in your vicinity. You are ordered to hold it at any cost.

Score 1 Victory Point if you control Objective Marker X at the end of your turn.

No arguing with that. He moved onto the Objective and died. At the end of his turn, there was no model controlling it, therefore no victory point.

Page 137 in the first paragraph states that you claim the victory point immediately, which tells me it happens before anything else including sabotage.

You claim it immediately, but the victory point is not scored until the end of turn. There's a big difference between claiming objectives and scoring victory points.

Page 137 in the first paragraph states that you claim the victory point immediately, which tells me it happens before anything else including sabotage.

The book says " If you can achieve a tatical objective at the end of your turn you must immediatly score victory points for it".

Right. Immediately. Just as soon as it becomes the end of your turn.

I don't have my book handy, so be sure to double check the sabotage and TacO rules to be sure ...

If they both happen at the same time -- in this case the end of the turn -- then the controlling player decides the order.

[found my book]

Almost.  The start and end of a turn are different.  Roll off to decide which happens first.

You claim an objective when you move onto it, but you only gain the tactical point at the very end of the turn. As Sabotage is an action in tha game turn it happens just before the turn ends. As sabotage killed the model on the objective there was no model claiming the objective at the turn end, so no victory points are scored.

The order is such: claim objective>sabotage>turn end and calculation of victory points.

It does help to have all of the rules ...

"Sabotaged! At the end of the turn in which the objective was identified,"

Type: Capture & Control

A vital objective has been identified in your vicinity. You are ordered to hold it at any cost.

Score 1 Victory Point if you control Objective Marker 1 at the end of your turn.

If these things occur before or after the game, or at the start or end of a game turn, the players roll-off and the winner decides in what order the rules are resolved in.

So there you go. Unless someone else knows another rule which should be included in the discussion.

I just want a definitive answer that i haven't gotten.

why wouldn't you get the point.

Basicly I'm saying if you die at the end of the turn at the same time your collecting the point from the objective how does the point get denied?

Merged double post, Dam13n.

The book says " If you can achieve a tatical objective at the end of your turn you must immediatly score victory points for it".

If we're going to quote the rules, how about we finish the sentence?

If you can achieve a Tactical Objective at the end of your turn you must immediately score Victory Points for it - you cannot choose not to achieve a Tactical Objective at the end of your turn.

This sentence, in context, spells out the fact that you have to claim your Victory Points for Tactical Objectives on the turn that you achieve them - no waiting for the next turn. It has nothing to do with the sequence of events in a turn. Since Jacinda has already laid out the details on sequencing, it should be clear that in this particular case, you will need to roll off to see what event happens first.

Nothing I have says they happen separately.

It is in the rule book under Sequencing. If you have nothing that says one happens before the other, then you do not have the rule book. I have quoted as big of a block as I care to. You know where the rule is; borrow a book if you have to.

The Rules > The Turn > Sequencing.

Nothing I have says they happen separately.

It is in the rule book under Sequencing. If you have nothing that says one happens before the other, then you do not have the rule book. I have quoted as big of a block as I care to. You know where the rule is; borrow a book if you have to.The Rules > The Turn > Sequencing.

Cool. This is what we ended up doing that night anyway. I know for a fact he has two 7th edition rulebooks actually, thanks for clarifying things.

Doesn't give you a ticket to even be subtlely hateful. Don't be that guy.

Archived