What Is Jump Infantry?

Jolemai

From the Sanguinary psychic discipline:

Wings of Sanguinius is a blessing that targets a single friendly infantry unit within 12". Unless locked in close combat, the target immediately makes a move of up to 12"...<snip>

This has spawned a discussion on the Blood Angels board about what Jump Infantry is. People believe/hope that Jump Infantry is a subset of Infantry and thus, can be moved by this power.

What say you?

Personally, I feel that Infantry and Jump Infantry are two separate unit types - as detailed in the BRB - and therefore the power can not be used on them.

...Unlike most other unit type categories, 'Jump' is not a classification in and of itself. Instead, you'll find it occurs before another category - commonly Infantry, sometimes Monstrous Creatures and perhaps, rarely, other things. Jump units therefore share two sets of rules, the Jump unit rules, and those of their base type. Jump Infantry would, for example, follow the rules for Jump units and Infantry.

(emphasis added)

As appears on the page opposite the one where the Winfs of Sanguinius power is listed :

The Angel's Wing

<skip the fluff>

A model with the Angel's Wing gains the Jump unit type as described in Warhamm...

It doesn't change from Infantry to Jump Infantry, it simply gains Jump. IMHO, this clearly shows that they (the Design Studio) knew Jump Infantry would be covered too.

Does this apply to other unit types as well? Mostly thinking of bikes here, which I believe are truly not infantry?

No, this is specific to jump.

It applies to Jet Pack and Characters, too. Vehicles also have a subset, too, such as Walker, Flyer, etc.

Bikes, Cavalry, Beasts, Monstrous Creatures, and Flying Monstrous Creatures are all unique unit types with no connection to each other, but can be modified by the sub-types of Jump, Jet Pack, and Character.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the best description I've seen so far was under Transport Capacity:

"Only Infantry models can embark upon Transports (this does not include Jump or Jet Pack Infantry), unless specifically stated otherwise."

This expresses that Jump and Jet Pack Infantry are still considered Infantry, and necessitates an exclusion regarding them from being embarked in Transports. 

EDIT: Spelling and spacing.

Personally, I feel that Infantry and Jump Infantry are two separate unit types - as detailed in the BRB - and therefore the power can not be used on them.

Well, they sort of are two seperate unit types.  But then units often do have more than one type. Jump is a type and Infantry is a type.  Jump Infantry are models that have both types. 

They are affected by rules that affect Infantry.

They are affected by rules that affect Jump.

Yes, however we do not know how units with multiple types interact with powers/rules that only work on a specific type. Do they simply check if the specific type is present in a model and disregard any other types, or do they check that a model is of a certain type and not of any other type.

I'd lean to the former interpretation, but that is far from clear.

Yes, however we do not know how units with multiple types interact with powers/rules that only work on a specific type. Do they simply check if the specific type is present in a model and disregard any other types, or do they check that a model is of a certain type and not of any other type.

I'd lean to the former interpretation, but that is far from clear.

They are still classed as being of all types listed. It's quite clear. Dante is still Infantry even though having Character and Jump. Your Sergeants don't stop being Infantry or Bike just because they are Characters.

In the case of Transports, it's the Jump/Jet Pack that blocks their entry in to Transports/Buildings, not being Less than Infantry.

• 2 weeks later...

Character is not a unit type, jump however is (kind of). That#s the problem, we are never told whether a unit can have more than one type and if that is possible, who such units are to be handled.

As for the transports the rulebook does not say anything about jump/jet pack infantry and transports, it's the rule for a piece of wargear, the jump pack, that removes that option. As far as I can tell the Tau do not have such a restricting equipment on their jet pack infantry units. So what happens if a Crisis Team wants to embark on an allied transport? Codex Tau skirts the issue by disallowing bulky+ models (which all jet pack units are) in their only transport.

Woops I missed that. The problem remains though that a unit cannot at the same time follow the rules for jump units and infantry units, if the rules differ. It would have been so much clearer if Jump was just a set of additional rules like character or tank that some units of a certain type can have.

Woops I missed that. The problem remains though that a unit cannot at the same time follow the rules for jump units and infantry units, if the rules differ. It would have been so much clearer if Jump was just a set of additional rules like character or tank that some units of a certain type can have.

But, it is. The introduction of Jump and Jet Pack make that perfectly clear.

Part of the thing is there are Jump Monstrous Creatures and Jet Pack Cavalry, and that is why those two, along with Tanks and Characters, are additional unit types that work in conjunction with other unit types.

The only difference is they aren't parenthetical.

Archived