The versatile christmas box and its myriad uses

Shaezus

Well I get back off night shift and get woken up by the postman after two hours' sleep. Stagger downstairs all bleary eyed and fuzzy and...oooohhh it's a big box from GW! Now I am wide awake!

Oh but hang on what's this???

Pfft.

Pfffffft.

Pffffttttttt.

Well that's the disappointment out of the way. My Sanguinary Guard edition has arrived and seriously GW, are you taking the piss?

The box it arrived in is humungous. There's enough room in there to fit a bloody Furioso. Anybody have any ideas what I can do with my shiny new space box with its lovely pink nebulae?

Camp out on the street and claim to be William Shatner's lovechild?

Yep I basically paid an extra £50 for a fancy cardboard box and some prints which now that I've seen them am never going to look at again. Oh yeah and a christmas card from GW which is actually the coolest part.

The cover on the standard dex is better than this one IMO.

So yeah, I feel ripped off big time. Hello ebay.

Rant over. Off to read that dex :)

Well I get back off night shift and get woken up by the postman after two hours' sleep. Stagger downstairs all bleary eyed and fuzzy and...oooohhh it's a big box from GW! Now I am wide awake!

Oh but hang on what's this???

Pfft.

Pfffffft.

Pffffttttttt.

Well that's the disappointment out of the way. My Sanguinary Guard edition has arrived and seriously GW, are you taking the piss?

The box it arrived in is humungous. There's enough room in there to fit a bloody Furioso. Anybody have any ideas what I can do with my shiny new space box with its lovely pink nebulae?

Camp out on the street and claim to be William Shatner's lovechild?

Yep I basically paid an extra £50 for a fancy cardboard box and some prints which now that I've seen them am never going to look at again. Oh yeah and a christmas card from GW which is actually the coolest part.

The cover on the standard dex is better than this one IMO.

So yeah, I feel ripped off big time. Hello ebay.

Rant over. Off to read that dex smile.png

This is why after getting the Limited Edition Dark Angels Codex I have not got a 40K one since.

If the book was in bold full of Sanguinary Guard Artwork and say an extra 10 pages saying the Legend of the Guard themselves with some of their named members which was hinted at in the last Codex we had. (Blind *insert name here* who swore he fought better without his eyes)

That Would of made it worth buying, as it is it does not even look Sanguinary. :(

I remember when a Limited Edition book really looked good, remember the Fantasy 8th edition, huge, leather bound, parchment, metal clasps and decoration, cost les that these different slip cover servsions of the codex and thats why I don't like the new ones.

Feel free to add some extra rant at the end of this because I'm still going, I just can't keep typing as I am at work. :P

You hit the nail on the head right there brother. I was expecting an extra wedge of SG-related stuff too, even that alone would have brought the extra quality one would expect. Instead of quality we just get shiny. Sorry Gdub but the two ain't the same.

They could have sated my childish thirst with some objective markers and some reference cards I could use in game, but none of that either. Are we the first release not to have objective markers included with limited edition?

At least the gold edgings are quality. Humbug.

I ended up choosing the standard edition after reading that the Sanguinary edition was a big waste of money. The cost isn't an issue, rather the of charging so much for so little.

Hopefully they'll be stuck with a bunch they can't move and will improve their limited edition offerings in the future.

You hit the nail on the head right there brother. I was expecting an extra wedge of SG-related stuff too, even that alone would have brought the extra quality one would expect. Instead of quality we just get shiny. Sorry Gdub but the two ain't the same.

They could have sated my childish thirst with some objective markers and some reference cards I could use in game, but none of that either. Are we the first release not to have objective markers included with limited edition?

But thats the problem, it does not even look like the Book is Sanguinary Guard so why the hell is it the Sanguinary Edition?

Give us gold!...

This entire new codex has pushed us away from Assault troops and even to a less extent Death company due to their loss of Reclus, Lemartes becoming a full Elites Choice and losing rerolls to wound unless Astorath is in the unit.

Hell even feel no pain went from a 4+ to a 5+ in this edition as well.

As a whole DC have went down but Jump packs became cheap, due to this DC and Guard are your main heavy hitters, BA terminators are kinda Meh compared to other options.

Personally I see the main Strength in a Astorath or Lemartes DC with Dante Sanguinary with Librarian dread and Priest. After that its just filling core to me. :P

But thats the problem, it does not even look like the Book is Sanguinary Guard so why the hell is it the Sanguinary Edition?

Give us gold!...

This entire new codex has pushed us away from Assault troops and even to a less extent Death company due to their loss of Reclus, Lemartes becoming a full Elites Choice and losing rerolls to wound unless Astorath is in the unit.

Hell even feel no pain went from a 4+ to a 5+ in this edition as well.

As a whole DC have went down but Jump packs became cheap, due to this DC and Guard are your main heavy hitters, BA terminators are kinda Meh compared to other options.

Personally I see the main Strength in a Astorath or Lemartes DC with Dante Sanguinary with Librarian dread and Priest. After that its just filling core to me. :P

The term 'Sanguinary Guard edition' really was misleading!

Limted ed farce aside (but don't forget the handy page marker) the new dex is a lot easier when building lists. Plenty of positives about it.

I would rather see artwork than photos in unit descriptions. There isn't a lot of artwork really but what there is is both brilliant and absolutely beautiful. That two-page spread on p.4 & 5 is what I have always wanted to see; it has death company, glorious Sanguinary Guard, a psyker letting rip and the marines in red drawing their blades as they charge into the fray with fury and determination. Those are my boys.

The FNP hasn't changed in practice, this was just bringing the old dex into line with the 6th ed FNP nerf.

I found DC with reclusiarch or chaplain were just too strong. They would swat through anything in one round and then be exposed in the enemy shooting phase! Also at 90 points for ML2 I just love dem new libbys.

The product description told you exactly what you were getting.

That's why I didn't buy one.

You also chose to get the big christmas box, you had the option not to get one on the checkout menu :)

Hopefully they'll be stuck with a bunch they can't move and will improve their limited edition offerings in the future.

I think theyre still on sale, eh? Unlike all the other limited ed stuff, which sold out within a day.

The product description told you exactly what you were getting.

That's why I didn't buy one.

You also chose to get the big christmas box, you had the option not to get one on the checkout menu :)

Ooooooh, that's me told isn't it? :p

Okay so I was wrong to assume we would get objective cards like every bugger else.

I was wrong to assume 'Sanguinary Guard edition' meant it actually had something to do with the Sanguinary Guard, and was not just as effectively arbitrary as calling it 'squid edition' or 'Steve Irwin does surfin'' edition. Hey-ho.

And I was wrong to assume that the box was actually related to christmas in some way and may even have held something equivalent to the missing £50. Hey-ho-ho.

Mine's all going on ebay soon as I've milked the painting guide then I'll get a regular dex.

It is funny how GW manages to do something right the first time and mess it up the second time when they should have done the exact same thing. 

Wolves got a brilliant limited edition dex (two infact!) with a really minimalist and cool looking cover, lot's of artwork, obj markers etc. We only got one and the one we have is white and has a tactical marine on the cover while being the sanguinary guard edition. 

This is not rocket science GW. Do the exact same thing and change the logo and you are done. Why are you making everything so complicated for no reason.

Fancy names and the expectations conjured by them are not GW's fault. These super shiny limited editions that GW releases for each army are just fancier shells that contain the same mildly updated guts of the last codex. Sure, GW offers you neat little metal objective counters, a different cover, a book mark, or perhaps some posters, but at the end of the day all you're doing is shoveling out way more money than you need to in able to get the rules for the army. When it comes to GW, I feel there are at least two rules of thumb. Of course your mileage may vary, but, if the customer is honest with themselves, I feel at the most basic level these are true. 

1) Treat each new release with disinterest even if it's your favorite army. Your wallet, your wife/gf, and your future self will thank you.

2) Buy objectively. Fancy covers and artful trinkets are great and all, but ultimately what is required by the player is a functioning rule book for their army.

Ooooooh, that's me told isn't it? :p

Okay so I was wrong to assume we would get objective cards like every bugger else.

I was wrong to assume 'Sanguinary Guard edition' meant it actually had something to do with the Sanguinary Guard, and was not just as effectively arbitrary as calling it 'squid edition' or 'Steve Irwin does surfin'' edition. Hey-ho.

And I was wrong to assume that the box was actually related to christmas in some way and may even have held something equivalent to the missing £50. Hey-ho-ho.

Mine's all going on ebay soon as I've milked the painting guide then I'll get a regular dex.

Sadly, while I agree that our special edition was significantly lacking, GW very clearly listed its contents. You get a LE codex and paint guide, and some fancy art prints. I so wanted a LE codex, supplement, and objective markers.

The box was just a cool Christmas box for free if you spent over $150. I actually think it will make a great photo station/light box frame.

Maybe our next limited edition codex aye?

Archived