How to run our Captains?

Theduke08

So with the new dex ive been considering running a Captain but I cant really decide where to put him...  

Im planning on running him with Artificer armor, Valors edge, Inferno pistol, Jump pack and maybe some other things.

Where would you put this character?

Im leaning towards putting him in with either some Sang. Guard or with a Van. Vet squad?  Still not sure though.

That is likely the best build, the SS is not realy needed when its between that and an extra attack which also has the melta rule.

I would say Digital Weapons may come in useful though.

I would prefer to run I libarian over the Captain though, the extra wound does not bring allot more to the table and for what you are getting he does not even buff units like a Priest, Chaplin or Librarian could.

So, back in the old 'dex I used to run a captain on foot with a power fist and a lightning claw. He had a ton of attacks and he could chose which weapon to use based on the circumstances. He hung out with assault terminators and a sanguinary priest, usually coming out of a storm raven (but sometimes a land raider). If I were to run the same model today, I'd probably add artificer armor.

With the new 'dex... I'm not sure. Priests and librarians are such great support HQs. I almost feel like with the two of them together, either can be as good as a captain. Or, frankly, the sergeant of the squad they are hanging out with can be as good as a captain. In that case, what's the point of a captain if he costs you access to the Sanguinary Discipline or the +1 WS/FNP buff of a priest?

My Captain's loadout is:

- Infernus Pistol

- Artificer Armour

- Valor's Edge

- Angel's Wing

costs a meltabomb plus a squad of Sang-Guard. Expensive? Probably. This Captain has become incredibly killy, though.

Let's have a look. I used to run him in a squad of Sang Guard with a Priest. Still gonna do that, and deepstrike them. 4 of the Warlord traits in our book benefit himself or his weapon(infernus re-rolling those ones? Yes please!), the other ones benefit the whole army. 3 of those traits either make him faster or killier.

He get's the +1 attack from the Banner. That's 6 attacks on the charge now. On top of that, those come in at init 6. Oh, and at WS7. Still not done, also with AP2.

He's basically a cheaper Dante, and also something I've been longing to field for a couple of editions now. You could even get the Descent of Angels trait, and unless you roll a 4,  every other trait is pretty good as well.

Oh yeah, he get's FnP as well. As his squad of Sang Guard. The Priest get's an auspex to lower anyone's coversave by one, expecially helpful against the pesky Tau with their anti-grav tanks.

Anyways. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out what parts to use to build the above. New codex, new Captain. A company needs its Captain.

Snorri

My Captain's loadout is:

- Infernus Pistol

- Artificer Armour

- Valor's Edge

- Angel's Wing

costs a meltabomb plus a squad of Sang-Guard. Expensive? Probably. This Captain has become incredibly killy, though.

Let's have a look. I used to run him in a squad of Sang Guard with a Priest. Still gonna do that, and deepstrike them. 4 of the Warlord traits in our book benefit himself or his weapon(infernus re-rolling those ones? Yes please!), the other ones benefit the whole army. 3 of those traits either make him faster or killier.

He get's the +1 attack from the Banner. That's 6 attacks on the charge now. On top of that, those come in at init 6. Oh, and at WS7. Still not done, also with AP2.

He's basically a cheaper Dante, and also something I've been longing to field for a couple of editions now. You could even get the Descent of Angels trait, and unless you roll a 4,  every other trait is pretty good as well.

Oh yeah, he get's FnP as well. As his squad of Sang Guard. The Priest get's an auspex to lower anyone's coversave by one, expecially helpful against the pesky Tau with their anti-grav tanks.

Anyways. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out what parts to use to build the above. New codex, new Captain. A company needs its Captain.

Snorri

I appreciate you actually answering the question instead of just saying use a Libby or Dante.  I agree with your assessment and was planning something similar.  Im considering running the other relic that allows you to pick another warlord trait.

Snorri -- that is how I would run him too and I woukd run him with SG too. For the price differential I will take Dante when I can, but in situations where a tournament bans LoW or its agreed in a friendly game no LoW that is what I would run in place of Dante.

Or with terminator arm our, power fist, and lightening claw in a land raider crusader with assault terminators.

My Captain's loadout is:

- Infernus Pistol

- Artificer Armour

- Valor's Edge

- Angel's Wing

Snorri

I appreciate you actually answering the question instead of just saying use a Libby or Dante.  I agree with your assessment and was planning something similar.  Im considering running the other relic that allows you to pick another warlord trait.

No worries mate! Yeah the Veritas Vitae is pretty useful, as well. The strategic table has a lot to offer, things like move through cover and +1 cover in ruins are insane if played out correctly.

Snorri

edit:

Nicodemus, you could also add things like digital weapons to get to re-roll one failed to-wound die as well. Not bad, in my opinion.

Snorri, I don't want to spoil the party, but unfortunately you can't have two relics on one model. Look up Blood Angels Wargear list. It says "A model may replace one weapon with one of the following".

Yes, I'm kinda with you, mate. After reading the entry a couple of times, it occured to me that by adding a jump pack you're not replacing a weapon...

So I was thinking, perhaps not Fury of Baal(or whatever that pistol is called), but maybe equipment instead?

Snorri

Sorry, where does it say that? In the Captain entry is states that he "may take items from the Relics of Baal list" and on the Relics of Baal list it states that "only one of each of the following artifacts"... I'm looking at the eCodex right now.

Now I just have to find the bits to build my mini-Dante Captain, for when I'm playing a fluff army of my own succesor and want to counts-as, or when I want to go to a tournament that disallows LoW.

On that count, anyone know of a bit for a rapier-like power sword?

Sorry, where does it say that? In the Captain entry is states that he "may take items from the Relics of Baal list" and on the Relics of Baal list it states that "only one of each of the following artifacts"... I'm looking at the eCodex right now.

Pg. 51, wargear section of the Blood Angels.

It says there that a model may replace a single weapon with a single of those options. Funny though, because you don't replace anything by buying the jump pack, the crown or the veritas vitae.

Snorri

Now I just have to find the bits to build my mini-Dante Captain, for when I'm playing a fluff army of my own succesor and want to counts-as, or when I want to go to a tournament that disallows LoW.

On that count, anyone know of a bit for a rapier-like power sword?

Indeed I do as I was already planning this myself.

What you need is the power sword from Sammael, Master of the Raven Wing.

The Cross Guard Even has wings Built Into it, the work is already done for you. ;)

It says there that a model may replace a single weapon with a single of those options. Funny though, because you don't replace anything by buying the jump pack, the crown or the veritas vitae.

Snorri

I have 273 pages tongue.png

Ah, hang on, found it. Relics of Baal (this is the third place and thus in addition to the other two I mentioned above) "A model may replace one weapon with one of the following..." There is no restriction there about one item per model, merely replacing one weapon and a model usually has two it can replace. As for things like The Angel's Wing, there are subscript which say "doesn't replace a model's weapon".

Thanks for the tip, Duke Danse Macabre!  Now I just have to buy another SG kit for the body and jump pack.  Thinking I'll do a 4-wing jump pack like I saw someone else do on here, they had wings off a fantasy pegasus on top and the Sg wings on bottom, made for a cool look, suitable for a relic JP.

Of course, this may result in me shelving the old metal Dante I have already, when it turns out huge and awesome looking :)  Assuming I don't screw anything up, as I now inevitably will.

Snorri

I have 273 pages tongue.png

Ah, hang on, found it. Relics of Baal (this is the third place and thus in addition to the other two I mentioned above) "A model may replace one weapon with one of the following..." There is no restriction there about one item per model, merely replacing one weapon and a model usually has two it can replace. As for things like The Angel's Wing, there are subscript which say "doesn't replace a model's weapon".

Thats correct which is how you can have a unit of duel weilding melta guns if you want. :D

Archived