How to run our Captains?

Theduke08

Now I just have to find the bits to build my mini-Dante Captain, for when I'm playing a fluff army of my own succesor and want to counts-as, or when I want to go to a tournament that disallows LoW.

On that count, anyone know of a bit for a rapier-like power sword?

Try Kromlech.  They make some cool weapon swaps, though they're a bit big.

Sorry, where does it say that? In the Captain entry is states that he "may take items from the Relics of Baal list" and on the Relics of Baal list it states that "only one of each of the following artifacts"... I'm looking at the eCodex right now.

Pg. 51, wargear section of the Blood Angels.

It says there that a model may replace a single weapon with a single of those options. Funny though, because you don't replace anything by buying the jump pack, the crown or the veritas vitae.

Snorri

I have 273 pages tongue.png

Ah, hang on, found it. Relics of Baal (this is the third place and thus in addition to the other two I mentioned above) "A model may replace one weapon with one of the following..." There is no restriction there about one item per model, merely replacing one weapon and a model usually has two it can replace. As for things like The Angel's Wing, there are subscript which say "doesn't replace a model's weapon".

Thats correct which is how you can have a unit of duel weilding melta guns if you want. biggrin.png

Whow, wait a sec. We can do the gunslinger thing with melta/plas/grav guns too???

Sorry, where does it say that? In the Captain entry is states that he "may take items from the Relics of Baal list" and on the Relics of Baal list it states that "only one of each of the following artifacts"... I'm looking at the eCodex right now.

It says there that a model may replace a single weapon with a single of those options. Funny though, because you don't replace anything by buying the jump pack, the crown or the veritas vitae.

Snorri

Ah, hang on, found it. Relics of Baal (this is the third place and thus in addition to the other two I mentioned above) "A model may replace one weapon with one of the following..." There is no restriction there about one item per model, merely replacing one weapon and a model usually has two it can replace. As for things like The Angel's Wing, there are subscript which say "doesn't replace a model's weapon".

Thats correct which is how you can have a unit of duel weilding melta guns if you want. biggrin.png

Whow, wait a sec. We can do the gunslinger thing with melta/plas/grav guns too???

No. That's the joke. You can hold 2 melta guns, but you cannot use them. Gunslinger rule applies to pistols alone.

Lots of options for equipping a captain, many already discussed above...

One option not mentioned was that of running Captain Karlaen. He's a named BA captain HQ from the new Shield of Baal campaign rules, legal in a regular 40k game. The only catch is that he's a terminator captain, so you have to be willing to deal with the terminator armor rather than artificer. 

In addition to the regular captain items/stats, he also comes with Terminator Armour, a master-crafted thunder hammer, and the counter-attack rule (so he always gets that 4th TH attack in the first round of CC, no matter whether he is assaulting or being assaulted). With it being master crafted, you can pretty much count on landing at least 3 of those 4 TH attacks in the first round. 

His best ability (and probably the reason why you'd take him as opposed to another captain) is that his default warlord trait allows you to re-roll reserve rolls and get +1 on steal the initiative checks. So you can really build a reserve-heavy list around him and be better assured of those models arriving from reserve when you want them to. 

In terms of the relic plasma pistol, is it ever worth the cost? It could work on a sang priest whoa just there for FNP and WS5 I suppose but then his assault value is gone... Hmmm

The priests assault value is his chalice. msn-wink.gif

I don't find the relic pistol worth looking into. You get an infernus pistol for cheaper, the sang priest is only BS4 and range's not that important I find. Too expensive for my liking. Also, your warlord has a 1/6 chance to have one weapon "artificed", so....yeah.

Snorri

Karlaen, Corbulo, 7 sternguard in a drop pod with 5xmelta weaponry and 2x heavy flamers, claw on the serge.

Kill anything with a battle cannon, or thin out troops.

Nothing wants to charge Counter-attacking WS5, I5 veterans.

I'll be trying this out when I get a SG squad made up.

Karlaen, Corbulo, 7 sternguard in a drop pod with 5xmelta weaponry and 2x heavy flamers, claw on the serge.

Only Karlean gets counter attack, not his unit.

What I want to know (still waiting on codex, swear this is the last time I preorder one), can we field Terminator captains with jump packs like codex Marines can?

Deschenus... Him being a combat monster, always in the thick of things, Id rather have a supporting char as warlord, who aint gonna be in the midst of enemy blood, risking to choke on it. smile.png

And also trying to keep his points down a bit.. Auspex is meh for me, I love to run flamers so covers are not a main concern in my lists, and once there, Im in combat so :P

Veritas Vitae doesnt seem worth it. Never use that warlord traits table.

Snorri

No. That's the joke. You can hold 2 melta guns, but you cannot use them. Gunslinger rule applies to pistols alone.

I was of course refering to Infernus pistols and realised my mistake after typing but i did not think anyone would be that pedantic.

It however is still a choice, it just won't work with plasma and melta "guns"

Must say Captain Karlaen does sound awesome for the +1 rolls on first turn and Rerolling reserves.

May need to take him and Cortez in the same force. ;)

Looks like I may have to use him in my first Company List unless they give us something tastier. ;)

What I want to know (still waiting on codex, swear this is the last time I preorder one), can we field Terminator captains with jump packs like codex Marines can?

Counter attack confers to the unit, check your rulebook. Wouldn't have suggested the unit if it didn't work :)

Counter attack confers to the unit, check your rulebook. Wouldn't have suggested the unit if it didn't work smile.png

Still don't get how you'd get the +1 init with counter attack. It states that Red Thirst only works when charging successfully, and CA's not the same like a successful charge.

Or were you talking about taking corbs with them?

Snorri

Counter attack confers to the unit, check your rulebook. Wouldn't have suggested the unit if it didn't work smile.png

Unless they added a word (rulebook not in front of me) it does not confer. You roll for the unit, but unless the model itself has the rule it gains no bonus from counter attack. So while the unit does roll only the guy with it actually benefits from it.

Counter-attack works on a unit.

But by this I mean: When a unit gets attacked, Counter-Attack occurs and will trigger for each model with the rule.

Counter-Attack NEEDS to affect the entire unit because the unit is under attack.

Only models with the ability get the bonus attack, though.

Unless they added a word (rulebook not in front of me) it does not confer. You roll for the unit, but unless the model itself has the rule it gains no bonus from counter attack. So while the unit does roll only the guy with it actually benefits from it.

Yeah, the counter attack rule say anyone in the unit that also has the counter attack special rule. So its worded weirdly, and doesnt really give any bonus to anyone else.

And on a seperate note: in C:SM there is a clause on purchasing terminator armor, jumppacks, and bikes that says you cant have any of the other two choices. Its one of those tiny numbers after the selection.

Archived