Anyone have luck/results running MephStar?

depthcharge12

As I'm looking to rewrite my list from the previous codex, I've thought about the crazy new combos available, including the ability to take Mephiston in a squad now.

My idea was to take him and 5 Hammernators and stick them in a redeemer. If I had the points I'd throw in a Sanguinary priest as well for the extra FNP and WS boost - he meshes well with the squad and provides FNP to Mephiston as I don't believe he has it in the new codex.

The hammernators are there to look out sir any AP2 weapon hits and provide a sergeant for challanges so Mephy can do what he does best. The squads S9 on the charge (X2 from hammers and +1 from FC) compliment Meph's S10 sanguine sword and while he hits first, he only has AP3, so the AP2 is incredibly useful.

Overall I think this squad is fantastic for taking out MCs that seem to be everywhere these days (riptides, wraithknights, Tyranids, Daemon princes, etc.) and even be useful against Knight Titans. They only might struggle against blobs, but that's where the redeemer picks up the slack ;)

What are your thoughts/experiences with this?

You take Mephiston and Corbulo combo still with a Hammernator squad in a Land Raider Redeemer. You strike at +1 WS and INT for the whole squad and still get FnP. You will strike first with lightning claws, Corbulo, and Mephiston. Then still have 2-3 thunder hammers to clean it up.

I found more success running him without TA because of the need to sweep the entire squad at end of combat. If you play against orks or guard you need to be able to not remain locked in combat for new meta. Its all about moving now and I have had him tied up in 30 and 40 man squads in multiple games for 2plus turns. Never get enough damage because I could of swept them first round if I had ran normal PA.

Depends on your meta, because if most of the armies have 20 man squads and under then it doesn't matter but if you run into my problem you might want to switch. VV come standard without jp in New codex? Don't have at work. Thought it was 5 pts to add..Might be command squad I'm thinking of. But VV are best because you can add the ++ if you feel you need it.

Plus if you do separate to take objective they have packs, also using them to charge instead of move gets you hammer of wrath

He is strength 10 ap3. Losing fleet means nothing in 7th edition also losing 1 toughness means nothing. He is now ic and runs in a squad. More durable than he used to be with 2plus LOS and a squad of men around him.

Did I mention you get 5 tacticals for free now just by still playing him? And he can still be toughness 8..QQ

That's my thought too.

Every nerf seems to be outclassed by a buff (if you play him slightly different).
Lower Toughness/Wounds => Bodyguard

Lower Strength => Fixed Psy. Power for S10 or Furious Charge

Lower Initiative => The Red Thirst

But he needs a bodyguard! => 75 points cheaper

The WS could be compensated with a Priest, but isn't really necessary. He will still hit many things at 3+ and he has his Gaze for challenges.

Mephiston is an all around better character now, in my opinion. Much more playable and more effective when considered on a "list-wide" basis and not just on an "individual model" basis. However, he is no longer a beat-stick, I plan on leaving that role to Dante. 

Mephiston should be played like a psyker, he needs a unit to protect him and should be positioned to take advantage of those psychic powers and his powerful psychic hood. This will include the occasional assault, but the days of running him across the map as your primary threat are over.

Mephiston is an all around better character now, in my opinion. Much more playable and more effective when considered on a "list-wide" basis and not just on an "individual model" basis. However, he is no longer a beat-stick, I plan on leaving that role to Dante. 

Mephiston should be played like a psyker, he needs a unit to protect him and should be positioned to take advantage of those psychic powers and his powerful psychic hood. This will include the occasional assault, but the days of running him across the map as your primary threat are over.

as a warlord he has great psychic defense potential, ml3 with a hood and adamantium will? try casting a witchfire or maladiction on anything close by, I've not tried him ytet but I think him and corbs would work well on a foot/focused pod list buffing several units around them.

Archived