Game Changing Moments

malorn24

Since this is a Tactic's Forum I thought this would be a great place to put this.

What are your favorite game changing moments and tactics?  I am not just talking about a lucky roll here or there. I am talking about something your did or a choice in tactics that you employed and they either worked beatifully or maybe not so much.

I will start it off.

I was messing around with a gunline style of C:SM with focusing on as many HW shots per turn that I could get. (not best idea I later found out LOL). Well I was facing Chaos Force that featured 2 Defilers. 3 Dreads, and a Demon Prince with plague marines in rhinos. Well to make a long story short I was getting blasted to bits by the defilers as they advanced. My one reserve was a group of 5 Hammernators. I brought them in right smack in the middle of the chaos advance. I thought it was just going to be a speed bump but they actually ended up becoming a spike strip instead. The chaos player charged them with both Defilers 1 Dread and the Demon Prince. When the dust settled the only thing that limped away was the Demon Prince and he had only 1 would left. This allowed my gun line to actually do its job and pick off the rhinos and dreads at range.

This was 5th edition so I know that things have changed but it was a great feeling at the time.

Now what about yours?

Deep-striking 3 BA assault squad 5-man teams with a meltagun each in between a Predator with twin las sponsons, a razorback with a command squad and a razorback with a sterguard squad. All within 4" of at least 1 enemy vehicle (congested board corner area but he'd left just enough room around his tanks for it to work). 2 hits, 1 very minor scatter courtesy of Descent of Angels. 3 meltaguns hit, 3 meltaguns penetrate, 3 vehicles destroyed. Command squad pinned, sternguard broke due to casualties in the explosion. That was his entire left flank and mobile assault/close shooting units destroyed. He realy really wasnt expecting a move like that with deep strike.......

Last night's game had a game changing moment that I didn't even recognize until the game was almost over.

I had all but null deployed - nothing but a bike squad in cover, half an assault squad in cover, and some sniper scouts camping an objectives in deep cover - and it was not going well for me. I was taking heavy fire from the Eldar and getting screwed on Reserves rolls - I think I was too used to Descent of Angels and hadn't realized what an impact the loss of that special rule was going to have. Anyway, the three surviving members of my assault squad leap out of the ruin they're hiding in - one of them dies to dangerous terrain, of course, it was that kind of dice night - and slams into combat with an enormous blob of ten guardian jetbikes. My opponent loses two guys to Hammer of Wrath, another two guys to combat, and fails to hurt any of my guys. They flee - I don't catch them, of course, freaking Eldar - but they flee an astonishing 17 inches, leaving the far end of the unit only a few inches away from my opponent's board edge! And then, on the top of his turn, the fleeing squad... fails to regroup and runs off the board!

2 assault marines > 10 guardian jetbikes. 35 points accounting for more than 200.

At the moment, it seemed like a pretty brief victory. I mean, the poor saps were gunned down a turn later by a vyper. However, in the late midgame, when my sanguinary guard/librarian/priest blob and stormraven/tacs/dreadnought finally arrived (we don't talk about what happened to my poor Baal pred when it came in alone...), it really helped. With that much dakka, my opponent might have been able to cut through all those 2+ saves - without it, they were able to kill shining spears, catch an autarch in a sweeping advance, punch through a falcon, and then finally cut down said vyper and claim the objective it was sitting on - none of which would have been possible if they had been wading through a hail of twin-linked shuriken shenanigans. For the Emperor!

Nice! to both of you.

@Leonaides DS right in the middle of that formation with 3 AS units is pretty amazing and gutsy. but thats wat Space Marines do.

@ EPaladin Why did you choose to charge 10 Jetbikes with 3 AS marines. IT paid off in the end but you couldn't have thought it would have that effect.

Nice! to both of you...

@ EPaladin Why did you choose to charge 10 Jetbikes with 3 AS marines. IT paid off in the end but you couldn't have thought it would have that effect.

The way I saw it, I had two dudes left and they weren't going to do any good otherwise. I figured they had a decent chance of keeping the jetbikes tied up for a while, and as long as they were doing that, they wouldn't be taking an AP ≤3 hits. My only other options were: "remain in the building, contribute nothing, get continually sniped out by the rangers, eventually die completely" and "fall back to a safer position, ceding ground to my opponent and making future Deep Strikes more challenging." In that moment, the choice seemed clear. Better to die in glorious battle and, at worst, keep those jetbikes pinned down and out of my hair for a while, then to die with blades unbloodied!

The greatest tactical trick I ever pulled was in a 5th Edition tournament in Kansas City.  The final game came down to my Iron Hands against a double-Nob Biker army, one of the hardest armies of its time.  The key, I knew, would be to force my opponent to divide his army; two mobs of Nob Bikers with mixed weapons was not only a ridiculous pain to kill, but could hit pretty hard too.  The rest of the list was some coptas (from the AoBR box) and a pair of the lighter looted tanks.  My plan, then, revolved around sucking half of his bikers into fighting on one end of the table and sucking the other half onto mine.

And it worked out perfectly.

I used a staggered succession of drop podded Dreadnoughts -- starting with a Venerable to hopefully lock him up as long as possible -- to engage one squad in his backfield, then pushed my collection of Razorback & Rhino-mounted Tactical Marines up the far left flank at full speed; if he had the charge to get to them (he did), then he'd need 6's to hit and while I'd be disembarked, he'd be unable to hurt the Marines, just their transports.  He wrecked two out of four, but that gave me the chance to turn the guns of thirty Tactical Marines, a Librarian, a MOTF, two Razorbacks, and a TFC on just ten models.  There were. . . no survivors.

With his other squad still locked, I reduced his coptas to running and killed the last looted wagon.  Once he finally finished that last Dreadnought, he came tearing right down the middle of the field, right into the middle of a U-shaped killing ground.   I think he knew it was over and wanted to go out with the orkish version of dignity, but the end result was a clean sweep as he put his one remaining squad into the line of fire of over 1,600 points of Space Marines.

It was the most one-sided victory I have ever achieved, and I was intensely happy that I'd achieved it against such a fearsome force.  And it all came down to my desire and ability to dictate the terms of the engagement.

On turn 5, my opponent (playing Tyranids) moved his Hive Tyrant forward trying to get into assault, he had 3 wounds left and was really exposed. I lined up my Stormtalon and fired the Twin linked Assault Cannon, all 4 hit, when i rolled to wound i rolled.......four 6s. AP2. Dead Tyrant, guy was shocked, took a photo of the dice roll cause i knew my mate wouldnt believe me when i told him because i normally have the unluckiest dice rolls ever!!!!!

Archived