Mephistar is dead...meet the Mephiscout

Red-beard

It's all good. Will do it this way:

Scouts infiltrate to forward position, 12" ahead of my deployment zone. Meph deployed with my assault marines in their rhino. My turn 1, the rhino moves, Meph disembarks, leaving the assault marines and joining the CCW scouts, the assault marines stay in the rhino. In the shooting phase, the Meph/CCW scout unit runs to position themselves better. 

This does a few things:

1) Keeps Meph with a squad at all times in case my opponent has first turn or steals the initiative,

2) Accomplishes the goal of giving Meph cheap meat-shields,

3) Gets Meph out of the rhino and lets him use his psychic powers round 1, which is the reason I didn't want him in a rhino in the first place.

Thanks for the feedback. 

It's all good. Will do it this way:

Scouts infiltrate to forward position, 12" ahead of my deployment zone. Meph deployed with my assault marines in their rhino. My turn 1, the rhino moves, Meph disembarks, leaving the assault marines and joining the CCW scouts, the assault marines stay in the rhino. In the shooting phase, the Meph/CCW scout unit runs to position themselves better. 

This does a few things:

1) Keeps Meph with a squad at all times in case my opponent has first turn or steals the initiative,

2) Accomplishes the goal of giving Meph cheap meat-shields,

3) Gets Meph out of the rhino and lets him use his psychic powers round 1, which is the reason I didn't want him in a rhino in the first place.

Thanks for the feedback. 

Might I suggest going with a Drop Pod instead? That way you can deploy your Scouts wherever they are most useful and you'll still be able to get to them with Meph.

Good suggestion, it will work in some lists. A couple potential issues:

1) Spending 35 points on a pod for Mephiston means those points can't be used toward more DC! I guess you could ditch a rhino and put your AM in a pod and let Meph tag along. But then you lose your mobile cover metal box and objective grabber. Also, after dropping in, the AM are left hanging in the wind once Meph leaves them to join the scouts. 

2) In lists that already have an odd number of pods, you would have to add two pods to keep it an odd number, otherwise one of the units you want on the board round one (Meph included) ends up arriving in a later round. 

Wait, so infiltrators MUST infiltrate? I've loaned my book to a buddy for him to brush up on (he hasn't played the new edition yet), so don't have access to it. By that logic, wouldn't that prevent you from outflanking, which the book clearly says you can if you have the infiltrate rule?

The way I read it:

1) Players can "choose not to deploy" their unit and place them it reserve. Note, ICs can join units that are put in reserve. 

2) Infiltrate says that units with infiltrate "are deployed last". 

So if you go into reserve, you are not deploying, so infiltrate does not apply.

This is where it gets hairy....since a scout unit that went into reserves hasn't deployed, I would argue that they are not "an infiltrator" and that Mephiston could then join the scout unit when it is in reserve. That combined scout/Meph unit could declare to be arriving via outflank (since scout confers outflank) meaning Mephiston could outflank with the scouts.

I'm not sure that this buys you much of an advantage...and I would probably never go this route, but it looks to be a legal option.

Ahh, ok I suppose that makes sense. Still I had been missing the fact that you were forced to infiltrate (or not deploy). My regular opponent and I have been doing this wrong for ages. Predominantly him, since chaos really doesn't have many (any) infiltrators, and if I roll the warlord trait on strategic, I always infiltrate as much as possible.

Anyway, always good to clear things up and correct little mistakes like these. Cheers!

Archived