Pre-imperium Dark Angels

Olataro

I am thinking that by Pre-Imperium you mean the Thunder Armor variants that battled across ancient Terra. For looks they would probably use the old Rogue Trader scheme of Black with Red Iconography. This would most likely apply if you advance them to Great Crusade or Horus Heresy Eras but the available Armor Marks in each time period opens more doors for modelling. I would stay Mark III and Below for Crusade Era and Mark V and below for Heresy Era Dark Angels (Probably with a stronger emphasis on Mark IV as being the First Legion has implied that we would get newer technology first and in perhaps greater supply <cough> TDA <cough> ).

When you say pre Imperium do you mean before the Horus Heresy or even before the Emperor? Reason I ask, is now I am not sure what Imperium is now. I thought the Imperium was during the Emperor's day, so not sure what you mean before the Emperor. 

In the story of descent of angels, during the time of El Johnson but before the arrival of the Emperah!

I am thinking that by Pre-Imperium you mean the Thunder Armor variants that battled across ancient Terra. For looks they would probably use the old Rogue Trader scheme of Black with Red Iconography. This would most likely apply if you advance them to Great Crusade or Horus Heresy Eras but the available Armor Marks in each time period opens more doors for modelling. I would stay Mark III and Below for Crusade Era and Mark V and below for Heresy Era Dark Angels (Probably with a stronger emphasis on Mark IV as being the First Legion has implied that we would get newer technology first and in perhaps greater supply <cough> TDA <cough> ).

Sorry Master Belial. Im new to 40K fluff so Im not to familiar with that. But I'm aiming to recreate the Knights of The Order before the arrival of the Emperor but during the time of Eljohnson. A period where the beasts of caliban run free, and brave men join together to survive the harsh realm of Caliban.

Ah! Then I would recommend mixing Black Templar Kits with Chaos Knights or Chaos Space Marines. You'll be scraping off a lot of icons and you won't need the chained weapons on the Templar Sprue. Why chaos? Mainly because of the gloved gauntlets and the older style armor and weapons. The Knights had rudimentary power armor but they didn't have any implants. The chaos knight legs, arms and helmets should give enough of a primitive vibe but the 40k style torso should keep it futuristic and the Templar tabards should help identify them as Knights of the Order.

Before the Great Crusade the Thunder Warriors (who were basically élite soldiers and not real Space Marines) wore basically black armour with lightning iconography that was the Emperor's heraldry during the war For unification of Terra...

There was at that time no legion as we know from the Great crusade to 40k...

The name and iconography of the Dark Angels was chosen by Jonson when the Emperor round him on Caliban and put him at the command of the first legion...

Before that the first legion had other bame and iconography but they are not known...

So if you want to go For the Thunder warriors army you can use wich iconography you Like cause the DA was still to be adopted (in fact Jonson wasnt even born)...

The Calibanites combined primitive power armour, chainswords, and bolt pistols with a society whose champions were knights.  Personally, I'd think about Mk II Crusader pattern for helmets, arms, and/or legs.  I'd consider Mk III Iron pattern for torso armor, but I'd be more curious whether any of the Warhammer Bretonnian and Empire models have good breastplates and shoulder pieces.

The challenging part, in my humble opinion, would be to do justice to their weapons (so as to make them different from standard chainswords and bolt pistols) and their mounts.  Calibanite knights appear to have favored destriers, which might be difficult to represent within the 30k ruleset.

Color-wise?  Descent of Angels is the only novel to extensively tackle the Order prior to the Emperor's arrival.  I don't seem to recall them having any special colors, but I could be wrong.  I'll check the book out tomorrow and see if I can find anything if you don't have it available.  :)

Thanks guys. I've read the novel, and was inspired to pull off something like this. If you look at the cover, they seemed to be somewhat of a conbination of white and metallic black. 

Perhaps I may not be able to get an accurate representation of their armour, but I would love to craft a space marine on a horse. =D

If you want to go outside GW kits, there are various firms that sell steampunk models which could be merged with chainswords and boltgun variants. The Perry twins do some excellent late medieval kits that would also be suitable for parts, although you might want to convert them with cables and the like to make them a little more technological in nature. Whilst those models are 28mm they are considerably smaller than space marines, so see if you can view some examples in real life before committing to them.

My vision of the Calibanite Knightly Orders has them more like Bretonnians. Individual heraldry, tabards rather than robes, and pointy boots rather than rounded ones. Bothe Kromlech and Anvil Industry do Knightly type legs that look a little archaic than FWs pieces.

Here's some of mine from awhile back.

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y464/Grotsmasha/Heresy%20Era%20Dark%20Angels/IMAG0997_zps2d278793.jpg

Cheers,

Jono

Thanks guys. I've read the novel, and was inspired to pull off something like this. If you look at the cover, they seemed to be somewhat of a conbination of white and metallic black.

The cover of Descent of Angels? Those are Dark Angel Space Marines, not Calibanite knights of the Order.

Edit: I just remembered, the novel makes mention of black armor, winged helms, and white surplices. Also, Zahariel is “immediately struck by the similarity between the giants and the armour of the Order.”

As such, the cover of Fallen Angels may also serve as inspiration, as might this image of Merir Astelan and his fellows:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/a/ab/Chapter_master_Merir_astelan.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110820144337

Archived