Angels of Absolution fluff?

Aruis

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to the Dark Angels and this forum, and I'm thinking about switching from Dark Angels to Angels of Absolution as I find it interesting that some members of the Unforgiven believe themselves absolved after the fall of Caliban. It also seems that there is a lack of detailed information about the Angels of Absolution other than the very general description of them that our current codex gives. This has me excited for the possible fluff-writing possibilities to make the chapter my own, and I've got a lot of ideas floating around in my head to make the AoA distinct from the Dark Angels. But before I run off to write my own background and start painting and modelling, I'd like to gather as much information on the chapter as I can find.

In particular I'm looking for history, characters, relics, practices, how the chapter is viewed by the rest of the Unforgiven, their take on the Ravenwing and Deathwing formations, etc.

I'm also interested in hearing speculations about the chapter and what the general community thinks about the AoA, as I personally find them fascinating.

In my sig is some fan fiction I did a while back about the successors and the frater here made comments and added to them. Feel free to resurrect the thread if you have any new ideas or insights. 

The only known character was from a WD article a long time back with a prior release of our codex where the Games Dev team made three new characters. One for each of the second founding. While the characters have not been added to the official fluff. It is something. I wish I still had it to confer the names.

In my sig is some fan fiction I did a while back about the successors and the frater here made comments and added to them. Feel free to resurrect the thread if you have any new ideas or insights.

The only known character was from a WD article a long time back with a prior release of our codex where the Games Dev team made three new characters. One for each of the second founding. While the characters have not been added to the official fluff. It is something. I wish I still had it to confer the names.

That's news to me.... very intriguing... do you remember by chance which issue it was or roughly when it was published...I've got every WD magazine since #93 which was the inaugural Rogue Trader release issue.. bar a handful of very early sub-100 issues. .... could help it...ohmy.png

SG

It came out with the 4th Ed. Dark Angels codex (Where Belial got promoted to 1st Company Master and the fluff section returned) back when WD was published in different parts of the World. I want to say around #235. I think it even has the DA cover art on that issue. Ugh! I wish GW had kept that Index of back issues. It was a small article, I think it was only 4 pages total with an Azrael, Belial and Ezekiel conversion for the Successor chapters. 

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to the Dark Angels and this forum, and I'm thinking about switching from Dark Angels to Angels of Absolution as I find it interesting that some members of the Unforgiven believe themselves absolved after the fall of Caliban. It also seems that there is a lack of detailed information about the Angels of Absolution other than the very general description of them that our current codex gives. This has me excited for the possible fluff-writing possibilities to make the chapter my own, and I've got a lot of ideas floating around in my head to make the AoA distinct from the Dark Angels. But before I run off to write my own background and start painting and modelling, I'd like to gather as much information on the chapter as I can find.

In particular I'm looking for history, characters, relics, practices, how the chapter is viewed by the rest of the Unforgiven, their take on the Ravenwing and Deathwing formations, etc.

I'm also interested in hearing speculations about the chapter and what the general community thinks about the AoA, as I personally find them fascinating.

Welcome! I've been collecting Angels of Absolution for many years now, and I will give you a quick rundown of what I know. I'm travelling right now so I don't have all of my source material with me so I'm going off of memory and I can point you to references.

History: AoA have fought alongside the Dark Angels extensively, and often integrate with the deathwing and ravenwing. The Siege of Vraks is the most well known example of this. AoA have also worked closely with the Ultramarines, and are generally in good standing with the adeptus astartes. The entire chapter fought against the most recent black crusade and is currently fighting an surgency. I can't remember where but it's named in IA vol 2.

Characters: the only named character is Company Master Yafrir, who was slain at Vraks. There is also Apothecary Septimus who is currently serving with the Deathwatch.

Practices: Veterans and terminators have a red vertical stripe on their helmets. The Angels of Absolution also sometimes field their 1st company members in power armour, though there are no rules specifically for this. The AoA don't have any major grudges against any chapter and aren't as aloof as the other unforgiven. They are the most trusted of the dark angels successors, which is why the so often work closely with the DA in hunting the fallen.

Where did you find that little bit about Veterans having the red stripe? I don't remember reading it.

Siege of Vraks part 3. You can find some of the photos on the AoA lexicanum entry. Edit: I mean wh40k wiki entry.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi. I apologise if what I am committing a bit of thread-romancy here (in which case, simply ignore the question), but...

On the question of AoA fluff, and seeing as they do field veterans in PA, does that mean that they also field more traditional Sternguard veterans with special issue ammunition?

Hi. I apologise if what I am committing a bit of thread-romancy here (in which case, simply ignore the question), but...

On the question of AoA fluff, and seeing as they do field veterans in PA, does that mean that they also field more traditional Sternguard veterans with specially issue ammunition?

Rules wise it just means that you use the company veterans as 1st company vets in PA. And since they don't have access to special ammunitions...

If you wanted to make a fluffy list you could always go Unbound or Allied Detachment with Sternguard painted in AoA colors.

Thanks. That's a great idea. I was wondering about the Sternguard (and for that matter Vanguard) topic from a fluff angle - for writing short stories of a DIY chapter.

Archived