The Veritas Vitae

hairojin

Is it just me or is this relic amazing on a support Warlord for the low price of three meltabombs?

I plan to use a Divination Librarian in a plasma command squad so have no need for the other relics (except Gallian's staff) or rolling on the BA warlord traits table. Instead I'll be rolling twice on the strategic table as I feel every result really complements our codex.

1. All units get move through cover (ruins) and stealth (ruins). -Really good for a list that wants to get close, most terrain I play on is ruins.

2. Automatic night fighting and night vision on all units. -Once again really good for a close quarters list.

3. Warlord plus three non-vehicle units gets infiltrate. -Infiltrating jump DC anyone? Even if they deploy in the deployment zone they still deploy after the opponent have deployed his army.

4. +1 to seize and reroll reserve rolls. -I'm loving the reroll for drop pods and fliers.

5. Opponent has -1 on reserves. -Perfect for a list that is lacking in the anti air category.

6. Three enemy units have to take a pinning test. -I think is the only bad one but could potentially mean less incoming fire first turn.

Same here. To good to be true. 

Correct me if I'm wrong here but the named characters that have a fixed warloard trait (like Astaroth) HAS to be the warlord if taken and HAS to take the warlord traint in his profile?

You can take any character (not necessarily named) as your warlord. If you don't have any characters in your army, any model can be the warlord.

If you choose a character with a fixed trait as your warlord however, you must take that trait. If you get an extra trait, I imagine you can roll for it, but I've yet to see a character with a fixed trait who can take relics.

I resoundly agree. Out of all of the Warlord Traits, my all-time favorite is the Strategic table. The only times I have not used it is in 500 point matches (where the advantages are minimal) or when I play Maelstrom missions (where I use Tactical traits). The fact that we got a relic that allows us to add another Strategic trait is a huge plus to me. I'm going to have to resist the temptation to use this relic every game.

• 2 months later...

If you have this relic in a detachment that includes the ability to reroll Warlord traits, can you reroll both the normal trait and the bonus provided by VV?

This came up in a game I was playing the other week.

We couldnt find an answer on the fly, so we agreed it was fine to re-roll both.

I was supposed to look it up after the game, but I completyly forgot until I saw your psot.

whoops.

If you have this relic in a detachment that includes the ability to reroll Warlord traits, can you reroll both the normal trait and the bonus provided by VV?

This came up in a game I was playing the other week.

We couldnt find an answer on the fly, so we agreed it was fine to re-roll both.

I was supposed to look it up after the game, but I completyly forgot until I saw your psot.

whoops.

The Baal Strike force only allows the reroll on the BA table.

If you use a combined arms detachment, then you get a roll on strategic with a reroll, and also another roll from the veritas, also with a reroll.

I believe that the veritas's wording also breaks the 'no rerolling a reroll' rule, meaning you keep rolling until you get something different.

EDIT: Indeed: "Roll again until a different trait is generated".

Two on strat is insane.  I will not have a named character as my warlord anymore because of how good this relic is!  

Just to hammer this point home, 

1.  Move through Cover + Stealth Ruins for everything.  

Thats a 3+ save on vehicles and troopers.  Really, really powerful, not to mention not getting stuck in terrain with your tanks.  Really solid ability this - especially if your area uses a lot of GW terrain.  Great for mobile and fighty BA lists with some shooty support.

2. Choose Night Fight AND Night vision. 

The second half of this ability is often overlooked.  Not only do you get to say its nightfight without rolling -you suffer absolutely no consequences for it.  Great for shooty BA lists. 

3.  Infiltrate 3 units + warlord

Also, amazing for a termy squad, or jumpy squad that needs a little more distance covered.  Really solid option this for those BA that need to get into the fight.

4.  Reroll reserves! 

Yes please.  Ravens, jumpers and pods coming in when you need em? I'll take it!!

5.  +1 Seize and -1 to enemy reserve.  The second least useful of this lot, i find as its quite situational. But, if you're playing with Corbs (or Corteas) a 5+ reroll for seize is really, really good.

6.  3 enemy Units make pinning checks.  Definitely the "choose to reroll" option this. 

For its point cost it has to be single best army buff in the book,

Even tho it applies to non-vehicles, does it apply to DT? Taking a LR variant with terminators could you infiltrait it?

This came up the other night, as it could apply to both or just normal vehicles not DT.

Even tho it applies to non-vehicles, does it apply to DT? Taking a LR variant with terminators could you infiltrait it?

Normally I believe a DT may infiltrate if the unit inside does. For example, Striking Scorpions can infiltrate while embarked on a Wave Serpent.

However, the trait explicitly states "non-vehicle" which I would guess overrides the normal operation of infiltrate.

What I like about the Strategic table is that most of the effects are static and do not rely on your Warlord remaining alive. Some other table have abilities that require your Warlord be alive to trigger on a particular turn. The Strategic ones are great if you are running a cheap Priest as your Warlord as you don't lose the benefits of the trait if he kicks the bucket.

Normally I believe a DT may infiltrate if the unit inside does. For example, Striking Scorpions can infiltrate while embarked on a Wave Serpent.

However, the trait explicitly states "non-vehicle" which I would guess overrides the normal operation of infiltrate.

I'm not sure why you'd think that? You have a unit of Sternguard, for example, and they have a dedicated transport which is a Rhino. The Sternguard themselves are a "non-vehicle unit". Thus you can grant the Sternguard the Infiltrate special rule. Because the Sternguard have the Infiltrate special rule, so long as they are embarked in their Rhino when deploying, the Rhino also benefits from Infiltrate, as per the rule's wording in the BRB.

I'm not sure why you'd think that? You have a unit of Sternguard, for example, and they have a dedicated transport which is a Rhino. The Sternguard themselves are a "non-vehicle unit". Thus you can grant the Sternguard the Infiltrate special rule. Because the Sternguard have the Infiltrate special rule, so long as they are embarked in their Rhino when deploying, the Rhino also benefits from Infiltrate, as per the rule's wording in the BRB.

This is my thinking on it, but there been a lot rule lawyering lately on it, my take is "non-vehicle" is stop infiltrating of baal's other preadtors vin's and allied armour. As the DT can be infiltrated with unit there bought in brb, but I guess it's open to be argued either way, the perhaps a reach out to GW might clear things, up.

Ok, so what generic HQ would be best suited to taking this excellent piece of wargear? I usually run Karlaen because I run Pod heavy but with 2 rolls on strat I would have a good chance of getting his warlord trait regardless. I was considering a priest in a bike or termie unit but a libby or even chap could work in some situations.

Ok, so what generic HQ would be best suited to taking this excellent piece of wargear? I usually run Karlaen because I run Pod heavy but with 2 rolls on strat I would have a good chance of getting his warlord trait regardless. I was considering a priest in a bike or termie unit but a libby or even chap could work in some situations.

I've played one tourney using a priest. It worked well.  I'd like to have a more resilient HQ like a biker captain, though.  180 points for the bike, a shield, the veritas, edge, and artificer armour. 

Archived