Space Marine Chaplain: Loadouts and Tactics

TheDecay

Hey all, 

Bored at work and wondering about how effective the Space Marine Chaplain could be in my Salamanders drop pod list. 

How do you guys run him? What load outs? Attached to what squad? 

Is he a good investment for 90 points, and how expensive is too expensive? 

Thanks! 

The chaplain is a challenging character to use effectively in C:SM. He is designed to be a CC buff, which means you want to put him in a close combat unit, but his stat line does not really support it. He has I4, so he doesn't swing before meq. He only has 2 wounds, and does not have access to storm shield, cc weapon upgrades, or artificer armor. This means he effectively strikes like a 16pt model, while you spend 74pts for fearless and reroll to hit on a unit.

All that being said, I love the fluff and look of chaplains. They are my favorite HQ model, so to keep them in my lists, I have been running a Counts-As combo. I run My chaplain as a captain, giving 3 wounds, I5, 3 attacks, etc. This also opens the cc upgrades up. I then Ally in Ministorum Priests from Codex: Adeptus Sorroritas. When I attach them to the unit, it gives zealot to the unit for 25pts, as opposed to the 74 it normally runs. When you put it all together you end up with a chaplain consistent with earlier editions (melee beatstick) and you end up with an extremely usefull ability (re-roll armor saves in close combat). The combo runs me less than 140pts.

If you are adamant about staying within C:SM entirely, the only upgrade I found worth taking is the Teeth of Terra. The rampage rule and AP3 make a chaplain a presence in cc when you attach him to smaller squads. The drawbacks are you have to be outnumbered by the enemy to get the benefit, and you're still striking at I4.

He's not terrible... But he's not amazing. 

He can be useful sometimes.

On the charge he has a decent chance of taking out most 2 wound characters without a 3+ save, like an Ork Nob for instance. Which can be good.

Attach him to an assaulty squad and kit him accordingly (Jump pack for Vanguard, Term armour for Terminators etc) and let him give them bonuses, and challenge guys he can take out.

I like to run mine as cheap as possible, buying only the upgrades he really needs(like a bike, TDA or Jump Pack depending on who he rides with)  This is because he's usually a second HQ.  Also since they nerfed his stats he's not as much of a bargain as he used to be. Still there are occasions when I might give him an upgrade. If you are running him in TDA, the Primarch's Wrath can be a decent upgrade as it's cheap and salvo doesn't matter with Relentless. 

Archived