Can sorcerers summon greater daemons?

Lord Kallozar

I would say sacrificing your sorcerer is definitely worth summoning something like a bloodthirster. The sorcerer summons the greater daemon, but dies in the process from what I recall reading.

Rules-wise Sorcerers can summon Greater Daemons with Malefic spell possession where you replace the sorcerer with a Greater Daemon.

Fluffwise, Sorcerers can summon Greater Daemons, there are numerous examples, and they don't nessecarily die in the process, warp rifts, controlled rituals etc. I've view personally the Malefic spells to be uncontrolled spontaneous casting rather than a controlled summoning which would represented by by an allied greater daemon

It depends on the ritual used, the caster's power and strength of will, and how much time they have to perform the summoning.

In general, though, the answer is yes, sorcerers can summon Greater Daemons. There is almost always a sacrifice involved, although it need not be the Sorcerer himself (otherwise it would never get done - in those instances where the sorcerer dies, it's usually because they attempted to steal the daemon's powers rather than outright summoning it).

I like to think of it as in the midst of battle with not much time to summon the greater daemon the sorcerer just does't have what he needs and the time to safely summon a greater daemon so he has to sacrifice himself. Off the battlefield, in a controlled environment with the proper materials and time he can do it by sacrificing others. 

I'd call it viable, but if you're looking for nasty and a bit cheesy, go for the bloodthirster. Great unclean Ones have a tendency to get left behind unless you deep strike them in the midst of the enemy. By deep strike, I mean take as an allied HQ and then drop him in when the roll comes up.

Granted bloodthirsters are better but I'm talking about it being for a pure nurgle army. So it would have to be a great unclean one.

That's why I mentioned getting close first then sacrificing a cheap sorc to summon the GUO so that it doesn't have to slowly creep a long way to an enemy

Ive been using a prophet of the voices nurgle sorceror as exactly that. I used him twice in 500 points today first gane he caused the guy to concede 2nd game i lost but tbf i couldnt pass an invun to save my life

Will add tho that even though i play mono nurgle csm i have no problem summoning in daemons of other gods. The way i justify it is the sorceror dosent have tine to be picky about what daemons he summons

Archived