Help with tactical squads

Excidium

Hi guyz,

I want to run two five man tactical squads that will be parked around objective markers and guard them. Was thinking what would be the best weapon choice for them? Would probably want them to be able to defend themselves best they can and maybe help to lay down some supportive fire for other units.

Cheers

If they're going to be static, consider heavy weapons. Heavy Bolter helps to mow down light infantry and missile launchers/plasma cannons can help with armoured vehicles and heavy infantry.

If you're expecting them to be charged then consider a heavy flamer and some other flamer stuff to fire in overwatch

Are these backfield objectives or midfield objectives? 

If you're standing around in the backfield, I'd say Lascannon or Plasmacannon, depending on what your list needs more of, anti-tank or anti-Teq. Even then, I think we can find better units for objective sitting than the back half of a Tac Squad now. I'd take Scouts (camo optional), or a Predator if more in the open, or a Whirlwind or TF cannon if out of sight. Even a shooty Dreadnought would probably be more efficient than Half-Tacs unless you REALLY need Ob-Sec in your backfield and Scouts just aren't cutting it. 

Midfield, really any special works fine and is meta/list dependent, just give them a Rhino/Razorback and let them scoot around. 

Edit: Dun mess'd up.

I'm of two minds on this one.

1)  Buy them a lascannon.  They're skulking around the backfield so they might as well have a decent heavy weapon that can support their more aggressive brethren.

2)  Buy them a heavy flamer.  They're trying to stay out of line of sight as best they can and your biggest concern is them getting assaulted.  Wall of Death with a Heavy Flamer will mean that little throwaway assault units aren't going to be able to shift them quite as easily.

They are simply there to fill the minimum 2 troop choice requirement. They will stay at the back and hold objectives all the time. Don't know if I should give them lascannons or heavy flamers. Grav guns seem a bit useless on tactical IMO. Don't really like plasmas they fail when you need it the most.

If you are going for the minimum squad size and your list can afford it you could tool your dudes with flame for infantry and then take razor backs with TL Lascannons or similar to bust armour and provide mobile cover and distraction from your main force. This way you cover all of your bases. Now go roast some Eldar!

Archived