Are bolter armed Death Company pointless?

marvmoogy

The gap is smaller, if running a normal CAD it's close (no init 5 charge), but i still think 2 ccw's are better. With the new detachment the bolters get even worse.

If you get the charge off you got 10 more str 5 attacks, but they hit on 4's, still they are on init 5, so the dmg you do when charging is similar either way. You are however still reducing charge distance. It's also better for killing rear AV 10 veichles, with a full unit it's going down regardless, but expect to get the unit size reduced.

If you get charged having 3 base attacks is far superior to bolters. 

Good players will position units in a way that many times forces you to not shoot at all, the risk of loosing 1 or 2 inches is pretty huge compared to taking a few normal hit's back. Loosing an inch might not seem to bad, but getting to charge/kill consolidate or stay locked in combat (keep's them safe) are so huge in terms of mobility  and survivability.

I think of this more of a delivery issue.

Drop pod and rhino = bolters

Jump packs, landraider and stromraven = CCW & BP

Bolter led to more to a denial unit and or holding a foward objective (this might need a topic all its own now :p )

CCW and BP are more for being thrown in the meat grinder, which DC have always and still look good for.

Im thinking about running two DC for just this reason.

I think of this more of a delivery issue.

Drop pod and rhino = bolters

Jump packs, landraider and stromraven = CCW & BP

Bolter led to more to a denial unit and or holding a foward objective (this might need a topic all its own now :p )

CCW and BP are more for being thrown in the meat grinder, which DC have always and still look good for.

Im thinking about running two DC for just this reason.

I don't know why but those simple words make me want to run death company with bolt pistols and ccws. "Ccw and BP are more for being throw in the meat grinder."

Very often, in my case. If you use your jump pack in the movement phase to move 12", you don't get the re-roll during the assault phase. So if you start the turn 19" away, you can move 12" during movement, but then you need to roll a 7 for charge distance, no re-rolls. I don't need some dead enemies making that 7" charge into an 8" or 9" charge.

Also, jump packs don't give fleet, they allow re-rolls to charge distance (both dice). Fleet allows you to re-roll one die or both (fleet is better).

What Red Beard said. I hate missing a charge because I killed too many guys. I often don't even fire my pistols to ensure I get the charge

With jump packs and fleet how often are you putting yourself in a position where that's an issue?

Your DC have fleet do they?

I think he means the re roll you get from a jump pack.

What Red Beard said. I hate missing a charge because I killed too many guys. I often don't even fire my pistols to ensure I get the charge

With jump packs and fleet how often are you putting yourself in a position where that's an issue?

Your DC have fleet do they?

I think he means the re roll you get from a jump pack.

nope my bad i just had a brain fart, long & crappy work day. I must of been getting confused with old dc dread or jp mechanic.

Before the new codex dropped I was thinking of adding to my current DC (8 man squad with 1 power sword and 1 power fist with bolter, on foot), one more member with power axe and bolter. I've seen no mention of this kind of loadout above so was wondering if that's still legit or use a pistol?

Archived