Is Dante that good?

tomsev

Well rerolls to failed reserve rolls and d6 less scatter on deep striking is nice for the whole army. While any warlord can get that, Dante is guaranteed to have it while the others only get a 1 in 6 chance.
In a tactical objective game Dante gets an additional random warlord trait from the tactical traits list.
Hit and run is nice for the unit he joins.

Go ahead kitbash him. I'm not aware of any rumours concerning a new Dante or Mephiston.

Il n'y a pas d'accents aigus, graves ou circonflexes en Anglais.

Dante is probably the best infantry character in 40k alongside Draigo.

He strikes at ap2 initiative 6 and has 5 base attacks (4+1 for two weapons).

With a single Quickening spell from a friendly psyker he can have 9 str7 ap2 initiative 10 attacks on the charge. A Sanguinary priest will increase his ws to 7 and provide Fnp making him extremely durable.

Don't forget the ever useful hit and run and Eternal Warrior rules.

Dante is probably the best infantry character in 40k alongside Draigo.

He strikes at ap2 initiative 6 and has 5 base attacks.

With a single Quickening spell from a friendly psyker he can have 9 str7 ap2 initiative 10 attacks on the charge.

Don't forget the ever useful hit and run and Eternal Warrior rules.

Yup, and even without Quickening if you add in any of the army wide buffs like Furious Charge and the +1I from Baal Strike Force and he can definiately drop the hammer.

Reserves rerrolls are only for flyers, skimmers and jump troops. D6 scatter only skimmers and jumpers. Drop pods reserve and scatter as usual.

His axe is not only AP2 and strike at init, it's +2S as well. Combined with FC, S7 on the charge. And it's master-crafted as well, isn't it?. And he's got that inferno pistol that hits on 2s that combined with H&R sees more use than normal pistols.

Other than that, 2+/4++ JP, causes fear in a 6" bubble, chapter master stats. Ideal if you want a strong jumper unit in your army. If not, he loses potential.

CM is usually 250 points riding a bike with artificer, hammer and eternal shield. Orbital bombardment/unlocking bikes as troops is the silver lining. If you go White Scar you also get the hit'n'run.

I'm loving the new Dante, his only weakness is 4++, but I think 3++ would be to much. The new DoA is much more useful i think, reserve re-rolls on Storm Ravens is awesome!

Hes got all the right stats and abilities to make him a bit of a Swiss army knife.

Dante is a serious threat to almost everything!

Heavy armour.. Have an internus pistol!

Light armour... Meet my pistol and a bunch of str 7 attacks

Enemy infantry... 6 attacks with a rerolls on the charge!

Rival hq.... Sorry I strike first, did I mention str 6-7 ap2

Combine all this with his tactical flexibility from abilities like DOA and hit and run.

He's not the hardest hitter or the toughest or the fastest. However he is almost the perfect combination of all the above. I also guarantee none of the games hardest hitters are going to enjoy being stuck in hand to hand combat with him.

That's probably the best way to judge him as well, how many big nasties are going to volitarily choose combat against him.

Hes got all the right stats and abilities to make him a bit of a Swiss army knife.

Dante is a serious threat to almost everything!

Heavy armour.. Have an internus pistol!

Light armour... Meet my pistol and a bunch of str 7 attacks

Enemy infantry... 6 attacks with a rerolls on the charge!

Rival hq.... Sorry I strike first, did I mention str 6-7 ap2

Combine all this with his tactical flexibility from abilities like DOA and hit and run.

He's not the hardest hitter or the toughest or the fastest. However he is almost the perfect combination of all the above. I also guarantee none of the games hardest hitters are going to enjoy being stuck in hand to hand combat with him.

That's probably the best way to judge him as well, how many big nasties are going to volitarily choose combat against him.

My how times have changed since the previous codex and Dante's unerring ability to die in absolutely any combat in which the enemy had a power fist.

be fair, in 5th ed, Dante worked much as he does now... he was init 6 and back then his axe just ignored armour saves with a reroll to hit, meant he was hitting first (at s5 i7 thanks to old furious charge). I have many friends that used to become enraged when we'd play because dante and his sanguinary guard unit would effectively drop in, blow up some stuff, then make a direct assault on their big bad - and generally win.

All thats happened, is Dante has been made to work like that again, but in the new ruleset. Good show GW, good show.

I'd say Dante has 7 attacks on the charge, rather than 6, as he's pretty much always going to roll with sanguinary guard in fairness (if command squad could take the chapter banner still, i'd have him with them still, purely for storm shields and axes, as the unit becomes an elite unit killer then)

My how times have changed since the previous codex and Dante's unerring ability to die in absolutely any combat in which the enemy had a power fist.

I bet that was not the fault of the codex but of 6th and 7th Edition. When the codex was written all power weapons had S user and AP 2 and no unwieldy.

I always played Dante at I1 thanks to his unwieldy axe in the previous version. Maybe I was doing it wrong?

Axes werent unwieldy when the codex came out, that was a change in 6th ed, so from codex release to 6th ed, he was a beast, then 6th ed destroyed his potential, 7th ed he was no better, and no new codex in 7th ed returned him to beast status

I always played Dante at I1 thanks to his unwieldy axe in the previous version. Maybe I was doing it wrong?

You were doing it right for 6th and 7th edition, but the codex came out during 5th edition when axes weren't unwieldy and he was able to actually utilize his high initiative.

Either way you paint it you have to remember that dante is our best character in the book, Mephiston is still good but not the level He was before.

So Dante the Way he is, he is cheaper than the SM option, gaves great buffs to the force he is in, very capable in combat, only high toughness will be a pain and you have to remember, he does not take a HQ choice so you are still free to take other griblies. :D

Archived