Tacticals newbie

veneratedaniel

Sooooooo, as well all know now, by no longer have asm as troops, don't want to look at scouts as I find them eehh so tacticals it is.

So without playing with tacticals before (or playing with them well) how should I kit them out?

I was thinking of doing a drop pod army so they would be nice and close majority of the time

The load out that I was thinking was along the lines of....

10 strong, 1 heavy flamer, 1 flamer and sarg with combi flamer, in a pod

Don't know how this would play or how good it will be. That and there will be 9dc coming down as well a stern guard unit with combi meltas another 10 tacticals which I am still pondering the load out of, with some Sm bikes with grav that start on the board.

So thoughts on that pod and any ideas on the second tactical squad? Thanks!

Tactical Squads are pretty much puppy chow but then I've seen some crazy stuff happen.  

I would pick up a generic tactical squad and a dev squad and kit bash them with the new BA Tactical Squad.  The point would be to model as many options as possible for heavy/special weapons.  This gives you versatility and the ability to adapt between games.  All flame is cool but against some armies it'll just be a pretty light show before your squad get's eaten.  You could potentially improve their surviveability with a Priest or a kitted out Vet Sarg but those are points you could be putting into the elites that are going to win you games.

Scouts aren't terrible if you play them right.  If you need to pay out troop tax just take a five man squad of snipers and call it a day.

If it helps, I always run full melts and control the midfield along with your armour of choice (I'm swapping the Baal pred for a sicaran). But now grav weapons are available, I'll run one grav/plas razorback squad.

I also recommend a dedicated AttackBike squad with 3 multimeltas, fast and furious.

Of course now I'll have to figure a Hflamer in there somewhere, because years of reasons.

well the rest of my army so far looks like perist, corbs a pod of death company, a pod of stern guard with at least 5 combi meltas, the flamer tacticals and another tactical squad, along with allied in SM with a chap master/capitan on bike with bikes as troops with full grav and centurion dev grav squad. so i think i have a fair amount of melta / tank stopping power.

not sure on the second tac squad im thinking, plasma or grav and then either combi grav or combi plasma, not sure what would be best 

also other than the bikes everything is podded

Haha, nope!  I just haven't played in awhile.  Been doing the family guy thing with a lot of OT on the side for the last couple years.  I still convert/paint but I haven't actually gotten to play a game since 2011.  On the other had I do watch Batreps on youtube like other people watch football.  :)

I think the scouts can actually work. I have had some success in just buying camo cloaks and locator beacon and putting them in a ruin. If you are playing objectives, they are perfect for camping your back field (just go to ground) or if you get first turn they can guide your pods if you set them up near your opponents force. Remember they have BOTH scout and infiltrate.

I prefer to concentrate my special weapons a bit. If you sprinkle them through tactical squads then you tend to risk wasting half your squad's firepower when shooting at the wrong target (that that gun). For melta I will run an assault squad or two with 2 melta guns and dual infernus pistols.

Flamers do compliment the bolter fire well and make for good horde clearance. Even foes in good armour will suffer from that number of hits.

If you want to do mixed weaponry then plasma or grav is probably better since their rate of fire and range work better with bolters. I prefer grav guns on bikes since they are relentless but that is just me. Plasma can be a good choice since if it overheats, you are only risking a cheap tactical marine.

Remember that you also have the option of 5-man squads, either directly or through combat squad-ing. Missile launchers are not exactly fearsome weapons but they are versatile and can be given flakk missiles for a bit of aerial cover.

Lastly, you have the option of taking the Death Company and DC Dread units from Deathstorm since they are Troops choices. The downside is that you cannot increase the squad size or vary their wargear at all. However the Dread is a pretty good choice apart from the lack of heavy flamer. The Death Company are over-equipped for a 5-man squad but having the option is good.

https://yourlordandmaster.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/blood-angels-death-company-dreadnaught-cassor-the-damned-datasheet.png

https://yourlordandmaster.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/blood-angels-raphens-death-company-datasheet.png

Archived