Ideas for the Librarius Conclave Formation

Prot

Fine! You've mollified my internet outrage! HAPPY?tongue.png True enough, so you are probably right. This only affects the Conclave models within 12", and if this is the case, there is less reason to duplicate any Disciplines, as duplicated powers cannot be used more than once by the "Chosen". Even still, all of those dice in the hands of one individual, with a slew of different powers, and who harnesses Warp Charge on a 3+, is still pretty good. If the Conclave members are not in one unit, spreading them out (but still keeping them within 12" of one another as much as possible) does allow you to to throw a bunch of powers from any of those positions to best affect the game. Even Mind Worm can be used by the "Chosen" model, even if it isn't Ezekiel. I gave it a go, but as I usually err on the side of a moderate rules interpretation, I would play it as only the "Chosen" gets to use powers, plus any Conclave member more than 12" from the "Chosen" (that at least is very clear); until an FAQ says otherwise. The tactics don't change either way, so it is still a worthwhile formation.

True enough, so you are probably right.  This only affects the Conclave models within 12", and if this is the case, there is less reason to duplicate any Disciplines, as duplicated powers cannot be used more than once by the "Chosen".  Even still, all of those dice in the hands of one individual, with a slew of different powers, and who harnesses Warp Charge on a 3+, is still pretty good.  If the Conclave members are not in one unit, spreading them out (but still keeping them within 12" of one another as much as possible) does allow you to to throw a bunch of powers from any of those positions to best affect the game. Even Mind Worm can be used by the "Chosen" model, even if it isn't Ezekiel.  I gave it a go, but as I usually err on the side of a moderate rules interpretation, I would play it as only the "Chosen" gets to use powers, plus any Conclave member more than 12" from the "Chosen" (that at least is very clear); until an FAQ says otherwise.  The tactics don't change either way, so it is still a worthwhile formation.

It is worthwhile and I fully intend to use it once I finish painting my other two librarians. :)

That method, of only having keeping the librarians whose powers you want to pool, keeping the others away, is how I play it, and it works fantastically. Terminator librarians and ezekiel mesh into a deep strike assault, usually a mix of terminators and drop pods, while biker and jump pack conclave librarians roar ahead outside the 12" bubble and do silly things like use pyromancy powers in drive by attacks.

One trick I find works well is to put all your Libs/Zek in a Deathwing Knight squad in a land raider (usually needs to be the crusader to fit them all, but the redeemer can work if you are using min req), except for one of the normal conclave libs on a bike with a PFG.  The land raider stays in front and moves forward towards whatever you want to engage.  The PFG bike lib either stays behind to get LOS blocked while giving the Land Raider a ++4, or out in front with a ravenwing squad of some sort.  The bike lib this way can harness all the powers and charges of the units inside and still cast all the offensive and defensive spells you have access to. 

Inside you have one nasty deathstar: deathwing knight squad with ad will and a lvl 3 psyker, and a possible ++2 save with sanctuary powers.  The lib bike can join them when they disembark or go off elsewhere,  its a lot of points, but is durable and slams very hard into whatever you point it at :)

Another fun trick is to use the conclave with a culexus.  Have one lib from the formation outside of range of the culexus and the rest in range (and ideally the culexus in range of the enemies psykers too).  This buffs the culexus's shooting and the lib who is within range of your deathstar but out of range of the culexus can still use their powers and harness normally on a +3 (you won't generate their warp charges though, but still the lib's own + the d6).  Its a tricky tactic to pull off, but if used correctly can be pretty effective.

I've only played 3 games with the conclave before my playing really waned.  2 games I just left them stock and put them in drop pods of 9 tacticals.  They basically act as a slightly more expensive Sarge.  In another game I put all of them (with Ezekiel) in a drop pod with vets and power weapons.  THAT was a huge magnet of fire that had to chew through 2 mobs of boyz, they didn't really use any pyschic powers but it was still pretty heroic, very narrative.  I knew I was playing greenskins so I did it on purpose.  I'm still not in love with the new pyschic system, maybe I wasn't throwing enough dice at my blessings but I don't remember being overly impressed with the way it played.  But that could just be the dice talking.

Probably the dice talking, and you being stuck in melee. With the conclave, a good mix of powers means I basically own the psychic phase against anyone who isn't chaos, eldar, or GK, as I'm able to guarantee at least 3 spells a turn and the enemy can really only cast blessings, as ezekiel in a unit with adamantium will denies on a 3+ for the most part.

Yeah, stuck in melee...with Tacticals...is not the best of situations. Loar's idea of sticking them with Deathwing Knights in a LR Crusader is good, and should result in an appropriate level of mayhem.

By the way, Craftworld Eldar now have something appropriately similar to the Librarius Conclave in their Seer Council Formation, which has its own benefits and restrictions. What the Librarius Conclave has over it is...

* The ability to place Liibrarius Conclave members in different untis (talk about having meat shields; we can have 30-50 of them, not including other

ICs! laugh.png) .

* The ability to have the "Chosen" model use the powers of ALL other Librarius Conclave members within 12" of them, so a 12" radius effect bubble

from a centrally located "Chosen" model.

* Being allowed to designate ANY model in the Librarius Conclave as the "Chosen" model (which can be changed from Turn to Turn!), thus enabling

the Formation to choose the member in the postion to best make use of the Librarius Conclave's collective powers.

* Models beyond 12" of the "Chosen" model operate independently of the Libraius Conclave, and so can use their powers separately and fully.

* Psychic hoods all over the place, baby! cool.png

Note that I didn't mention the 3+ Warp Charge thing- Seer Council Formations get that. So, the Librarius Conclave is pretty good in its own way.

And yes, I am now convinced that the "Chosen" model using all of the powers, and the other models getting to use them again, would be pretty over-the-top, as it would double the potential power output. To be honest, the full ramnifcations of this didn't fully occur to me, so I think the limited interpretation is most probably the correct one, meaning only Librarius Conclave models outside the 12" "Chosen" model bubble can use their powers too. I really want to try out the Libraius Conclave now, both as a single unit and spread out among other units.

Before I do though, somebody read all of that over and look for any (other) mistakes I may have made! tongue.png

Yea with the new Eldar, they'll actually use Sanctic a little better than the Conclave because they can use Ghosthelm on the Perils, however the rest is very good news.

Imagine getting Gate with your Conclave? No more tacticals stuck in. It also gets my Librarians out of something they don't excel in: CC.

I have an extra Libby with the baby on his back (not using the baby) and my metal (!?!) Ezekiel just arrives. So that with Turmeil / a Bike Libby conversion, I should be ready to try this.... now to figure out a list. lol

Archived