what is the point of bikers?

girot

Does anyone have any cool ideas as to what could represent a bike that is well... Not a bike or Jetbike? Want something cool and unique but coming up stuck!

Well you could go for something with more of a Fantasy feel (Knights of Blood style).

1723004_10152446488121097_72488313472517

Or if that really doesn't do it for you, how about something more like this? :p

10872100_10205476588256802_388016242_n.j

Okay so with all of that in mind here is what I'm thinking:

Biker Captain - Artificer Armour; Auspex; Beacon; Grav Pistol; Relic Blade

Biker Priest - Auspex; Grav Pistol; Beacon

Biker Sergeant - Combi-Grav

Bikers x2 - Grav Guns

Biker x1 - generic meat shield

To be honest, if you are going for this kind of maximised setup, I would seriously consider getting an allied Space Marine detachment to take a Biker CM and Biker command squad. That will save you points on the Priest as it will come with an Apothecary and will also allow you take grav guns on more models (rather than having to have meatshields and combi-gravs).

OK you need an extra Troop unit as tax but taking a Tactical squad that has Objective Secured as a back-field baby-sitter is not a bad choice. You also get the option to take some Centurions for more grav goodness (they can ride in one of our FA pods) and a Stormtalon (which we should have got anyway ;) ). Paint them up as Blood Drinkers (who are a codex chapter) and all is good.

I realize an allied detachment may be breaking with the theme slightly but with the way your squad is tooled up, you seemed 75% of the way there already. It might be worth going the whole hog to reap the additional benefit.

I'm contemplating re-purposing to grav, but I share appiah5's concerns.

The issue is range.

FA/Troop Bikers are weak in combat (can't get extra weapon attacks), so they want to be shooting.

Plasma allows you to kite from 24" (max range option) with reasonable RoF (Rate of Fire) at 2.

Melta and Flamers need you to get up close and personal, with high AP/low RoF and vice versa respectively.

Grav is the middle ground.

Whilst the higher RoF and unique to wound mechanism is definitely attractive, I think C:BA armies have other units that want to get in close.

But concussive is definitely a thing - if you can get the enemy down to I1, those other units will have a field day.

I'm leaning towards breaking my biker+MMAB squads up, and keeping the MMABs as dedicated units (C:BA) and moving my regular bikers over to a C:SM allied detachment (with grav).

You get multiple grav shots at a longer range than multiple plasma. Add in movement and for maximum damage it's the longest-ranged biker weapon.

That's a really good point. Arguably, grav benefits the most from a Relentless platform. Whereas melta doesn't care about its platform at all (Assault 1) and the only benefit for plasma is that you can assault after (Rapid Fire), grav gets more shots as well as allowing assault. In other words, if you're going to put a grav gun on anything (available to the Blood Angels) putting it on a biker gets you the most bang for your points.

After playing a game against necrons I have become convinced that I need grav bikes because of there utility. Thankfully they are very cheap money wise.

Do the bike kits these days come with any grav weapons or are we stuck pilfering tac squad boxes and buying from bits and 3rd party sites?

After playing a game against necrons I have become convinced that I need grav bikes because of there utility. Thankfully they are very cheap money wise.

Do the bike kits these days come with any grav weapons or are we stuck pilfering tac squad boxes and buying from bits and 3rd party sites?

Pilfering is the order of the day, I'm afraid.

Nah I'm planning on using ebay for dark vengeance bikes and then use a separate torso in my bits box. Also someone had an alternate grav gun from either maximini or anvil games. I have like two or three grav guns at home and I plan on buying a sternguard box and the new BA tacticals so more grav for me!

The Kromlech ones are my personal favorite, my main issue is I don't want to go about severing and trimming DV biker Plasmaguns because they are one with the damn shoulderpad.. and mine are already halfway painted..  *SIGH*

http://www.kromlech.eu/f/g/image400x400x/krcb091-gravity-distorters3.jpg

Time to grab 3 more DV bikers, and build a new squad.

Archived