Lets talk competitiveness

Frater Cornelius

So, let us throw full and all that jazz out of the window and focus on pure efficiency.

What is, in your eyes, a solid strategy to go by at 1500-1650 points. My guess is two-fold:

Either massed JP with SG, two mobs of DC, two 10man RAS and 10man Tac pods.

Or MSU deep strike with SG or DC on the board and rest is MSU to abuse DoA (from Dante).

Also, what about allies. Centurions in FA Drop Pod is an option, as is Shield Eternal/Gorgon's Chain Tank Master with JP or Bike.

Anyway, your thoughts on this?

If you want to spam things, ally with C:SM. Take some scouts squads w/bolters in LSS, and a tanky Captain w/SE. Double up on Librarians in our FOC, and spam jumpers next to the Tacticals. DC, Sang Guard are probably the best option. I'd add two Baals into the mix, because generally they're pretty awesome. Even just barebones with flamestorm cannon to burn scouting units in ruins.

Snorri

For MSU lists, nothing seems to beat 5 assault marines with 2 melta in a Rhino at 105 points. It's extremly cheap, can move 12 and still fire both melta. Rhino's have so many uses. Same configuration with a pod in a close second, i guess it depends on what synergi you are going for. 

I don't think SG will exist in competitive lists, but i might be wrong.

Best units so far seem to be: (though it's much closer now in each slot things are well balanced)

No idea on troop yet, hard to say

Storm Ravens for the Heavy Slot

Fragioso and DC for the Elite

Assault Marines for Fast (Mech, discount is to good compared to JP as 5man)

Libby and Astorath for HQ

and Dante of course

Centurions and Tiggy ally with a pod looks strong, but not very appealing.

Space Wolves has some interesting ally options. 

WGL with wolf mount, 3++ lone wolf 5 blood claws with flyer, TWC with Dante attached. Nothing beats lone wolves per point as a distraction unit.

Shaezus is right 100% BA all the way, so much fun in the new dex!

Since most BA players will want to use their FA slots for melta-ASM in pods, why would allied White Scars bikers (3 x 5 bikes with 2 grav guns, possibly combi-grav on the sgt, + a multi-melta attack bike) + Khan be a poor choice? They have Hit and Run, which is perfect for what the bikes do best: fire off 6+ grav guns shots (plus a multi-melta shot and 8 tl bolter shots).

For MSU lists, nothing seems to beat 5 assault marines with 2 melta in a Rhino at 105 points. It's extremly cheap, can move 12 and still fire both melta

Even if the vehicle is fast, if it moves more than 6" passengers snap fire. Being fast only affects the vehicle's own weapons.

I need to check rulebook again, always been running RB's. That's a shame. Drop Pod's and attack bikes it is then.

Since most BA players will want to use their FA slots for melta-ASM in pods, why would allied White Scars bikers (3 x 5 bikes with 2 grav guns, possibly combi-grav on the sgt, + a multi-melta attack bike) + Khan be a poor choice? They have Hit and Run, which is perfect for what the bikes do best: fire off 6+ grav guns shots (plus a multi-melta shot and 8 tl bolter shots).

You really need more bikes then that for Khan, with WS as chapter tactics. You still get hit'n'run with a WS CM, Khan gives them all scout. 

For MSU lists, nothing seems to beat 5 assault marines with 2 melta in a Rhino at 105 points. It's extremly cheap, can move 12 and still fire both melta

Even if the vehicle is fast, if it moves more than 6" passengers snap fire. Being fast only affects the vehicle's own weapons.

I need to check rulebook again, always been running RB's. That's a shame. Drop Pod's and attack bikes it is then.

You really need more bikes then that for Khan, with WS as chapter tactics. You still get hit'n'run with a WS CM, Khan gives them all scout. 

Khan only gives Scout when he is Warlord.

Taking 10 tacs in a pod with a heavy flamer seems like a solid choice, especially if you're also running podded double melta ASM squads. T1 pop their transports and tanks with your ASMs, T2 the tacs come down and clean up any units that had their transports destroyed or even a pesky unit camping an objective in cover like sniper scouts or pathfinders. The special weapon is up to you, I prefer a normal flamer if I'm playing against low armour save enemies like 'nids or orks, but if your opponent has a vehicle heavy list you can give the squad a melta gun then combat squad them when they drop, nice flexibility there to take on all comers. A unit of sniper scouts camping an objective and hopefully taking wounds off any enemy MCs seems like a solid choice as well. Give them camo cloaks and they'll probably be there 'till the end of the game. Obviously grav bikes are amazing if you're playing against big nasties like riptides or wraithknights. Just my 2 cents, keep in mind that this is mainly theorising as I've only played a few games with the new dex and none of them have been particularly competitive.

Archived