What If? Interromancy DA psychic table?

Loar

Felt like making a seperate topic for this.  So the current rumor on natfka is that the next campaign supplement will be a continuation of the dark vengence sets: so Dark Angels vs. Chaos Space Marines (specifically Crimson Slaughter).  If we follow the trend of the previous two campaigns this will be tied with new/updated codexes for the featured armies as well, and given that with the exception of Necrons, which are all but guaranteed to be next for early 2015, DA and Chaos SM are the oldest codexes to date that haven't been updated to 7th.  So there's a chance we could be getting a new or at least updated codex in 2015.

Another interesting tidbit is that the recent Librarian Conclave dataslate for DA includes a brief fluff synopsis that mentions "interromancy" as a type of psychic discipline DA librarians employ.  Now if we follow the trend set by the Space Wolves and Blood Angels codexes, we could potentially be getting our own DA specific psychic table.  If this is the case theres a chance this dataslate could be a hint or GW tipping their hand at the DA psychic tables name and/or function, and honestly "interromancy" sounds equal parts ridiculous and awesome. 

So given that this is all speculation, we might as well continue on this front and start prophesizing on what an "interromancy" psychic table might include.  It sounds to me from the brief fluff in the dataslate and other existing fluff for ezekiel, this could be based on psychic torture and or mind control/trickery, interesting opportunities for how this could be manifested on the tabletop:  Some more variations of psychic shriek and/or mind worm? Maybe some alternative types of psychic fear tests?  Here's one I came up with that sounds like it could be really fun and very fitting with the fluff:

Follow My Voice: Warp Charge 2

Follow My Voice is a malediction power with a range of 12".  Target unit must take a leadership test with a negative modifier equal to the level of the psyker casting Follow My Voice.  If failed roll 2D6, you may immediatly make an out of turn and sequence move with the target enemy unit as if they were your own equal in inches to the amount rolled.  This cannot be used to run units off the board into ongoing reserves.  The unit does not count as having moved during the opponents next turn.

Now of course this will never happen, its just an idea I had after reading about the interromancy discipline in the dataslate and it sounds like a fun power so wanted to share the idea.  The range and amount moved are just what I came up with to try and make it balanced and not game breaking, maybe it needs to be modified to be better or worse, would require testing.  However, the ability to push an entrenched unit out of cover or move them closer to help with an assault seems like something that could open up a lot of unique opportunities and would be an interesting way to spice up games against armies that like to just sit entrenched and blow you off the table.

Am I crazy?  Is this OP and dumb?  Have a better idea on a power or wishlist for what an interromancy psychic table might look like?  Lets see what you got 1st Legion.

Felt like making a seperate topic for this.  So the current rumor on natfka is that the next campaign supplement will be a continuation of the dark vengence sets: so Dark Angels vs. Chaos Space Marines (specifically Crimson Slaughter).  

I actually thought we'd see an e-book come out in the Advent calendar adding new Missions to accommodate both DV expansions. It just seems like the natural thing to do.

So natural in fact that I seriously doubt this rumour is true! 

I like the idea of a Interromancy table. How about:

Could bring back "Weaken Resolve" from our previous codex. It could be a Warp Charge 1 malediction, 12" range: target unit rolls an extra d6 when taking any Leadership-based test and adds it to the result. So most of the time, it means Fear/Morale/Pinning/Perils etc is testing on 3d6, instead of 2d6.

Most of the spells I see as buff, debuff, paralyze, or misdirect spells...I wouldn't see much direct damage spells, so I'd be OK with Mind Worm being a Zeke-only thing. Perhaps a max of one direct damage spell, something big like:

Wave of Terror (needs a snazzier name)

Warp Charge 2. 6" range. Nova, Ignores Cover, Concussive (or Strikedown?). All enemy models take a S8, AP 1 hit. However, roll to wound using the model's Leadership value instead of their Toughness. No effect against Fearless models or vehicles. Cannot cause Instant Death.

I like the idea of a Interromancy table. How about:

Could bring back "Weaken Resolve" from our previous codex. It could be a Warp Charge 1 malediction, 12" range: target unit rolls an extra d6 when taking any Leadership-based test and adds it to the result. So most of the time, it means Fear/Morale/Pinning/Perils etc is testing on 3d6, instead of 2d6.

Most of the spells I see as buff, debuff, paralyze, or misdirect spells...I wouldn't see much direct damage spells, so I'd be OK with Mind Worm being a Zeke-only thing. Perhaps a max of one direct damage spell, something big like:

Wave of Terror (needs a snazzier name)

Warp Charge 2. 6" range. Nova, Ignores Cover, Concussive (or Strikedown?). All enemy models take a S8, AP 1 hit. However, roll to wound using the model's Leadership value instead of their Toughness. No effect against Fearless models or vehicles. Cannot cause Instant Death.

Like the idea.  And yeah I agree in general the table would be fun if its something meant to enhance or synergize with our other rules and units and as a way to bring back old DA flavor.  If someone really wants to blow stuff up just go roll on one of the normal pyshic tables.  Again all speculative, but I would love to see DA fleshed out more by something like this

Love the idea of this tree and I expect before the end of days we shall see such a tree! From a fluff perspective, it would probably make the most sense to be a heavy Malediction tree with a Mind Worm style Witchfire (who knows, maybe it'll be moved there).  Here's to hoping!

And how about a psychic homing pulse to pulll in deep striking Deathwing? Leading them to suspected/possible Fallen prey.

I

That's an awesome idea. Divulge Secrets: Warp Charge 1. Malediction. Target one enemy character or independent character in 12". Until the start of the next Dark Angel player's psychic phase, treat that model as a locator beacon for the purposes of any Dark Angel model(s) arriving via Deep Strike.

And how about a psychic homing pulse to pulll in deep striking Deathwing? Leading them to suspected/possible Fallen prey.

Cheers

I

Very cool idea.  This is also a good method of making deathwing more viable, it always seemed silly that the only way to get accurate deepstrike was to take belial, one guy in the whole frikin chapter has figured out how teleporters work?  Him only having that rule doesn't even really make sense from a fluff perspective, he needs another rule that makes him a better brawler/beatstick, like he is described in the fluff

Do we think Mind Worm, or derivative, would be included?

Or would it remain Ezekiel's only?

If you take it away from 'Ezekiel only' then what would make him unique? I suppose that Lvl3, Inner Circle would be it?

OK so it's not strictly interrogation related, but is a nod at the fact that whilst most DA don't know about the hunt for the fallen, there is enough latent residual anger at the betrayal lingering in The Rock that from time to time it leaks into the warp.

Tretcherous Suspicion.

Blessing 12", Warp Charge 1. The psyker senses the betrayal of the Fallen and allows his fury to flow into a nearby unit. The targeted unit recieves the Rage special rule and 5+FNP until the end of the turn.

OK so it's not strictly interrogation related, but is a nod at the fact that whilst most DA don't know about the hunt for the fallen, there is enough latent residual anger at the betrayal lingering in The Rock that from time to time it leaks into the warp.

Tretcherous Suspicion.

Blessing 12", Warp Charge 1. The psyker senses the betrayal of the Fallen and allows his fury to flow into a nearby unit. The targeted unit recieves the Rage special rule and 5+FNP until the end of the turn.

I like the idea of this as a buff, the one tweak I would make is give the squad relentless instead of rage maybe.  Seems a bit more fitting with dark angels as stubborn plodding marines, rather than raging charging blood hungry marines, thats the BA's job.  Also our other dataslate that came out in the advent calander has one of its special rules that all models have relentless, so it has previously been set as a precedent.  Also would be a fun way to use a mobile bolter banner tac squad!

Fair one. The reason I chose rage was I saw it as a subliminal "woah there... something's not cool here... They did WHAT?!?!" realisation that makes the non-Inner circle DA lose the plot for a second. They wouldn't know why, just that they wanted to get stuck in to the nearest non-Imperial bad guy as soon as possible.

Maybe it could be relentless (still with FNP to infer the influence if the psyker) but add preferred enemy (chaos space marines) too so you get that subliminal fury thing in?

What if....... The DA were overwhelmed and cypher showed up to guide them. Revealing his psychic potential and true identity as........ ZAHARIEL! ALL HAIL THE MOST BADASS LIBRARIAN THE DA HAD AND WILL EVER HAVE!

If 40k ever got an end times I would love some expansion of Cypher lore like this.  And yeah I've heard that theory before and really like it, after all Cypher is a rank someone would get and not the person's actual name, so would be very fittying if it was Zahariel, and his insane speed could be explained by his psychic powers, which in the books were explained in a similar fashion for him.

I

That's an awesome idea. Divulge Secrets: Warp Charge 1. Malediction. Target one enemy character or independent character in 12". Until the start of the next Dark Angel player's psychic phase, treat that model as a locator beacon for the purposes of any Dark Angel model(s) arriving via Deep Strike.
Actually it's like the artefact we already have (forgot the name) : it looks nice on paper but not really applicable. If you are within 12" of an enemy character it means :

A/ that you are turn 2 or 3

B/ that your target is an enemy scout that is in your lines.

So it is really unlikely you'll may find a use becaause in case A you'll have to be within range turn 2 meaning you are in a transport and you cannot cast a spell within, or in case B that you will DS your termis in your own zone which is pointless.

Added to that it's a one time/game spell, you cannot cast it turn one and after turn 3 you won't have any DSing units...

I

Actually it's like the artefact we already have (forgot the name) : it looks nice on paper but not really applicable. If you are within 12" of an enemy character it means :

A/ that you are turn 2 or 3

B/ that your target is an enemy scout that is in your lines.

So it is really unlikely you'll may find a use becaause in case A you'll have to be within range turn 2 meaning you are in a transport and you cannot cast a spell within, or in case B that you will DS your termis in your own zone which is pointless.

Added to that it's a one time/game spell, you cannot cast it turn one and after turn 3 you won't have any DSing units...

Good point all around.  I think the spell itself is fine, and yeah its obviously not going to be important late game, but its still worth having something like this imo.  Just needs a range increase to 36 or 48.  It might even work better just as a relic or something instead, similar to the jetback one BA got

Archived