Anti-Air

Joasht

I'm curious; what are you guys taking for anti-air, if at all?

I'm fairly torn - it is possible to not bother with anti-air if you have enough bodies hitting the opponent fast enough, but many of the fliers out there tend to be reasonably tough, and often difficult to ignore (FMCs, AV12 assault gunboats, etc).

We don't have too many options in-faction, but expanding to allies and Forgeworld does open some possibilities like the Sicaran, Mortis Dreadnoughts, Stormtalons, etc.

The Fire Raptor is an all round great choice from FW but to be honest I think that the SR is the best we have, reason is as such a heavily assault based army it really complments us and few others can make as much use of this as well can.

For that reason i think its our best bet.

I am however not oposed to Strongehold Assault fortifications with interceptor to ruin peoples days. ;)

I'm pretty pissed that, as a chapter that's supposed to be renowned for loving aerial combat, our in-codex anti-air sucks sloth balls. At the minute I'm not really gonna bother with it, not many people around me use aircraft other than... Well, myself actually.

Got agree with you there mate, every marine army has a special flyer only they have or they have flyers we can not take plus ours.

Only exception is grey Knights but theirs get extra options over others.

I was hoping for something Special and Angel themed that could be taken as 1 of 2 varients that could perhaps house 12 Marines with with the Bulky Rule and move all out and still assualt in the same turn whilst pouring out Melta or something else that is nasty.

Something that would be great from large terminator Squads, Sanguinary Guard or Death Company With Jump Packs, think there is the Assault Ram from FW which does something similar but I wanted something just for us.

At the moment I'll be fielding to Dev squads with 4 flakk missiles in each. I'm in the planning stages of taking SM allies (mainly as an excuse to purchase the new tach box set for BA and.to be able to play the hunter tank that I bought).

My personal suspicion is that further along down the road we will get another flyer, possibly one based off the da nephilim, in the same way that the tyranids got that spore thing and the toxicren/malceptor. Granted the only reason I think this is because I felt super cheated that we didn't at least get the storm talon in book.

As for in-book anti-air, what do we actually have? Storm ravens and flak missiles, both of which are a bit too expensive at the points level I usually, are it as far as I can recall(don't have my codex with me). So I usually don't bother bringing any anti-air at all and it's never hurt me that much. If you beat their ground forces hard enough then it doesn't really matter what their flyers do.

I was really just hoping for the Storm Talon in Fast Attack. It's just right for the Angels, so why not, dagnabbit? Besides, I am sick of transporting gigantic flyers about for my Marines. Keep worrying someone's going to knock me over one day and I'll have a shattered Storm Eagle.

I was really just hoping for the Storm Talon in Fast Attack. It's just right for the Angels, so why not, dagnabbit? Besides, I am sick of transporting gigantic flyers about for my Marines. Keep worrying someone's going to knock me over one day and I'll have a shattered Storm Eagle.

I don't think we can afford to fit anything else in fast attack without allot of new formation options to help with that.

Got my exterminatus book waiting for me when home so fingers crossed.

I'm curious; what are you guys taking for anti-air, if at all?

I'm fairly torn - it is possible to not bother with anti-air if you have enough bodies hitting the opponent fast enough, but many of the fliers out there tend to be reasonably tough, and often difficult to ignore (FMCs, AV12 assault gunboats, etc).

We don't have too many options in-faction, but expanding to allies and Forgeworld does open some possibilities like the Sicaran, Mortis Dreadnoughts, Stormtalons, etc.

Nothing. I prefer dominance on the ground. However, I like multipurpose units that can act as makeshift AA. Things like Grav Cents with Devastator Doctrine or Sicaran Battle Tank. Assault Cannon Baal or RB might also do a decent job.

I don't think we can afford to fit anything else in fast attack without allot of new formation options to help with that.

I know, our FoC is crammed as :cuss at the moment, even with Exterminatus. But still, a courtesy lick would've been nice. Or maybe something like letting Vanguard be able to charge flyers because reasons. I dunno.

I'm going to look into some Mortis Dreads that I can park in cover and multi-shot flyers to death with. Can't argue with a Contemptor with Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons and a Cyclone Missile Launcher for some AA Power! And Hopefully because they are stationary they will be ignored due to the jumpy chop guys and my own flyers hurtling towards the opponents line!

Got agree with you there mate, every marine army has a special flyer only they have or they have flyers we can not take plus ours.

Only exception is grey Knights but theirs get extra options over others.

I was hoping for something Special and Angel themed that could be taken as 1 of 2 varients that could perhaps house 12 Marines with with the Bulky Rule and move all out and still assualt in the same turn whilst pouring out Melta or something else that is nasty.

Something that would be great from large terminator Squads, Sanguinary Guard or Death Company With Jump Packs, think there is the Assault Ram from FW which does something similar but I wanted something just for us.

I too was Praying for a mini Caestus Assault Ram in the vein of what the Wolves get, could use the same base kit even for all I care! Forge World it is instead!

Edit: Posts while I was posting Argh!

I know, our FoC is crammed as censored.gif at the moment, even with Exterminatus. But still, a courtesy lick would've been nice. Or maybe something like letting Vanguard be able to charge flyers because reasons. I dunno.

That would be awesome! Our soaring brothers keeping up with enemy flyers and slamming into them with Thunder Hammers until their engines give out!

I know, our FoC is crammed as :cuss at the moment, even with Exterminatus. But still, a courtesy lick would've been nice. Or maybe something like letting Vanguard be able to charge flyers because reasons. I dunno.

Well looking at how the mid codex has been drip fed new stuff I would not be surprised to see later additions to our army.

We will get something, just too early to say what.

I'll just take StormRaven gunship + Dark Angels allies detachment with one Tactical unit with Flak Missile + Librarian with 4 flakk missile Dev Squad behind Aegis defense line with Quad Gun... and if we play Big Games: Say Hello to my Mortis TL-Las Cannons as extra support. Yeah. Getting Turn 2 Interceptor and Skyfire for TL-Las Cannons is something great hated and feared. Kinda Sucks that my BA needs to take allies detachment but hey, my version of Angels of Death Codex... Fluffy 'nuff for me...

I usually rock a Storm Raven (multi-melta/assault cannon) and that's generally good enough for me. I like the flexibility it gives for transport options, as well as being a reasonable gunship and my main anti-air (too many points for any one of those, but I feel like it's worth it to cover all the bases). I also like having the equivalent points in something else that I can swap in as an alternative if my opponent can't really deal with a flier since I find that often makes for a better game, and the storm raven's pointed accordingly that it's usually just a straight swap for a unit with a couple of toys.

I use those too!  Very good for their cost.  140 points nets you 4 of them - thats 4x S8, AP3 BS3 (twinlinked) shots with skyfire/intercept.  

Also like that they dont have to shoot the closest unit like the bastions. And theyre resilient as all heck.

I use those too!  Very good for their cost.  140 points nets you 4 of them - thats 4x S8, AP3 BS3 (twinlinked) shots with skyfire/intercept.  

Also like that they dont have to shoot the closest unit like the bastions. And theyre resilient as all heck.

they do seem really effective, especially when you want to spam pods and boddies.

I am planning to run just the Stormraven initially and see if that is sufficient. People only tend to take 1 or 2 flyers or FMCs round here anyway so I don't expect to have to face any flying circuses. If that changes, I'll just add a couple of Stormtalons to make up a Stormwing formation.

I will probably multi-task the raven with a cheapish CCW scout squad on board. Not too many points if they crash and burn but a respectable number of S5 I5 attacks on the charge if I need them.

Archived