Anti-Air

Joasht

I have limited experience with the sicaran, but it has never stripped a flyer HP for me

If one were to use a fire raptor, I'm assuming one would use the auto cannons? I was hoping to load it with heavy bolters which doesn't see overly effective against flyers.

I suspect I'll end up relying on the storm raven or picking up the FW missile launchers (or a third party version).

Reading my post suggests I need to look at resin, not plastic options. :)

I mostly use my storm raven. I'm a little sick of it, but... it's all we got. I think I definitely agree that GW's failure to deliver a proprietary flyer is definitely a let down, especially after we lost semi-proprietary access to the storm raven. But honestly, the storm raven is pretty good. Just boring. I bring multi-melta and lascannons.

I have limited experience with the sicaran, but it has never stripped a flyer HP for me

If one were to use a fire raptor, I'm assuming one would use the auto cannons? I was hoping to load it with heavy bolters which doesn't see overly effective against flyers.

I suspect I'll end up relying on the storm raven or picking up the FW missile launchers (or a third party version).

Reading my post suggests I need to look at resin, not plastic options. :)

I made heldrakes disappear in 6th with it but with the changes to interceptor&skyfire in 7th I feel the sarosh legacy is over costed.

Sicaran with Legacy of Sarosh gets Skyfire/Intercept and Tank hunter once per game.  You are near gauranteed to wreck one flyer....and emperor forbid that flyer is AV11 or less -then its toast.

TL Lascannon/ML Dreadnoughts and a Storm Raven.. Not ideal, but all three are good at a lot of things.

Anyone know a way of getting flakk missiles on a Dread? It would help a little in this role.

Dunno :/ But even changing the Dreadnaught ML to a Typhoon ML would help.  Actually, this is a very long overdue change in the Dreadnought profile, I think.

TL Lascannon/ML Dreadnoughts and a Storm Raven.. Not ideal, but all three are good at a lot of things.

Anyone know a way of getting flakk missiles on a Dread? It would help a little in this role.

Mortis pattern.  2x MLs - S8 though, not S7

Sicaran with Legacy of Sarosh gets Skyfire/Intercept and Tank hunter once per game.  You are near gauranteed to wreck one flyer....and emperor forbid that flyer is AV11 or less -then its toast.

Never once heard of his, where would I find these rules?

I'm open to considering the tank but I would want to read up on it and I want to make sure I buy the right rules book.

Also Points come into it so it would depend how much more than a Lascannon Predator it is.

Mortis Pattern Dread with Missile Launcher, it can sky Fire and would have the other armaments as well, I would advise Assault Cannons as primary.

I'm open to considering the tank but I would want to read up on it and I want to make sure I buy the right rules book.

Also Points come into it so it would depend how much more than a Lascannon Predator it is.

135 for the Sicaran, and Legact of Sarosh is the cost of a thunderhammer.

Its Fast, its 13/12/12 and it has that killer main gun (S7, AP4, Heavy6 Twin-linked, Rending, Ignores Jink)  - it really is a great unit.  Very BA too! 

The Legacies are detailed at the back of IA:2 (version 2) - War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes. 

There's a review (with a BA slant) of the Legacies of Glory here which may help :)

In my last game (vs unbound Tau/Guard/Necrons), because I knew I'd be dealing with at least two flyers, I took both my Stormraven and an Aegis Defence Line with a Quad Gun, manned by half a Devastator Squad with Flakk. Gave me three ablative bolter marines to man the gun.

Storm Raven shot down the Night Scythe, and the Quad Gun accounted for the Valkyrie as soon as it arrived, then moved on to chewing hull points off skimmers. It's not very BA, but the Quad Gun still works as long as it's not your only anti-air threat.

Cheers Jolemai, was getting that book anyway for the updated sisters rules but this is sexy as hell and i need it in my army...

Personally I don't think a single flyer will make a huge difference, that is why I am not overly concerned about flyers since the new rules came out meaning they have to jink before they are rolled to be hit.

I still tend to run 1 or 2 Storm Ravens because of the BA feel it brings but truth be told now I use them more for tank hunting and as assault boats. :P

I don't think you need too much anti-flier.  If your opponent has a bunch of flyers, then you're never going to have enough anti flier unless you know you are going to play them and you're list tailoring a thematic game like an air raid.  Trying to prepare for a heavy flier list just makes you vulnerable to other types of lists.  So I usually bring just one raven or a quadgun and hope it's enough.  And usually it is. 

For example:  I played a two helldrake / two flying daemon prince list last week, and I had just brought a quadgun on a bastion and was a little nervous.  But between the quadgun and some snapfires I took all of them down by turn 5 with minimal losses.  Over the course of the game, I was actually more concerned with containing his oblits, bikers, and soulgrinder than any of his flying units.

The most i ever put into flyers is 500'ish points as I like to take a Marauder Destroyer with my Sisters of Battle (Giving some real consideration with adding a Pair of Avenger Strike Fighters as well), its just funny watching people hide in terror from sisters air support when it rakes the table clean of all enemy flyers in one turn and turns your back line of troops into a pile of corpses. ;)

If you dont use forgeworld models, how do you deal with multiple helldrakes, night scythes, ir FMCs?

1 stormraven is easy prey.

Maybe other SM allies or AM can provide a solution?

The Stormwing formation is great.  and the Raven does okay against multiple helldrakes- not as well vs multi scythes! 

But 2 Ravens is ample anti-air!

150 points for 2 x AV14 bastions with BS2, S9 AP2 Heavy2 Skyfire, intercept shots each.  AND they can score/claim.  

I think this is really decent.

Eh.......I'm quite confused about this statement.

A single Bastion with an Icarus Lascannon is 110 points, and it's a Heavy 1 gun.

Am I missing another set of rules from another book?

150 points for 2 x AV14 bastions with BS2, S9 AP2 Heavy2 Skyfire, intercept shots each.  AND they can score/claim.  

I think this is really decent.

Eh.......I'm quite confused about this statement.

A single Bastion with an Icarus Lascannon is 110 points, and it's a Heavy 1 gun.

Am I missing another set of rules from another book?

In stronghold Assault you can pay for 2 Quad Linked Lascannons with 2 Shots each, AV14, fully automated at BS2

Archived