You're deep-striking THAT?!?!

Shaezus

Dante, two libbys and SG. The more I've thought about it, the harder it is to visualise situations where DSing them really is absolutely necessary.

With two of: 5-man meltacide ASM; 10-man tac frying squad and 5-man combigrav stenguard drop-podding on turn one and supported by a sicaran and 5 DC with JP and one powersword it's clear that starting on the board is the most reliable option in terms of getting Dante & co where I want them and maximising survivability. Which leaves me the nice dilemma of what to do with the damocles and 10 points from trading angel's wing.

Looking for naysayers and devil's advocates here...can you think of times when you absolutely positively should really use DS for these guys? Considering if I do get wings...or even if not...they can get a turn two charge if starting on table.

This is the second time this morning I've seen someone mention the Daemocles.  What is that thing's role these days anyway?  I bought mine entirely for the joy of modelling it but would love an excuse to field it.

+/- 1 to reserves an orbital bombardment and no teleport scatter within 12 for 75 points and not taking a slot.

Why two Librarians, and not a Librarian and a Sanguinary Priest?

Warp charge, baby. Every one of our psychic powers has a use for an assaulting force. Plus more chance of getting wings. In a nutshell my force gets more bang for buck from the second HQ slot than if I take a priest.

personally it seems cool to DS them but delaying their arrival until turn 2 and charge until turn 3 feels like a waste of points, i'm a fan of pods as a distraction for my jumpers to move up.

*fist-bump strategist bro*

Its a really, really good unit. 75 points and all the above listed benefits! That orbital is great too, and if youre playing Terms or LotD its awesome too.

And that's why I reckon it's worth taking, even if Dante et al only use DS one game in five. And if I don't manage to roll wings, I'll regret not taking it. I've kinda got the old Corbulo syndrome going on with it...yes, the damocles is the new corbulo :D :p

Warp charge, baby. Every one of our psychic powers has a use for an assaulting force. Plus more chance of getting wings. In a nutshell my force gets more bang for buck from the second HQ slot than if I take a priest.

OK, I get the second librarian, but why pot both of them with the SQ? Wouldn't the other better buff another squad?

This is the second time this morning I've seen someone mention the Daemocles. What is that thing's role these days anyway? I bought mine entirely for the joy of modelling it but would love an excuse to field it.

Hope this helps:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297085-imperial-armour-discussion-tanks/

I found this extremely helpful, thank you!

:(

:p

OK, I get the second librarian, but why pot both of them with the SQ? Wouldn't the other better buff another squad?

It's situational is that. Depends on who gets what powers and the nature of enemy forces e.g. 2 libs each with blood lance vs a mech army, I may well put one lib with the DC or even the meltacide ASM, but as a benchmark both libbys go with Dante because there are significant survivability issues in putting them with the other possible squads.

This is the thing. We are almost always going to start with part of our army in reserve, no matter what our build, and it's a common theme from batreps I've seen - and my own games - that we are weakest at the start of the game. So it makes sense that we need stuff coming down ASAP, and the idea of a main assault unit not charging until turn three earliest makes my toes curl.

So to that extent pods are better; down on turn one, safe from mishap if you aim right. But then a) no benefit from DoA and b) the jump assault (in my case Dante-SG and DC) would benefit from starting on the board, increasing the survivability of the whole army purely through having more stuff for the oppo to choose as targets. Hence I really think DS would be a situational measure, perhaps in hammer and anvil deployment if the oppo deploys deep.

This negates DoA and Angel's wing and means only a single pod in my army would be using the Damocles' reserve boost. But I am still taking these anyway, as in the realm of buffed-up DPs and other big hitters, a buffed up Dante will still kick butt. I know I will probably have to DS at least one game in five and without these boosts things could easily go awry. And the Damocles' orbital has so much potential. Besides, for the same points I can't think of anything essential to replace it.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I have deep struck units of 5 man assault squad with meltas. Mixed results so far. Having 2 squads like yesterday helped since that meant 1 survived to move on to kil more stuff.

But why deep strike when you can pod?!

Mainly because I never bought any drop pods.  Plus I love jump infantry.

I have deep struck units of 5 man assault squad with meltas. Mixed results so far. Having 2 squads like yesterday helped since that meant 1 survived to move on to kil more stuff.

Mainly because I never bought any drop pods. Plus I love jump infantry.

This. I'm the same.

Mainly because I never bought any drop pods. Plus I love jump infantry.

I use coke cans as my pods tongue.png

I love jump infantry too, but a game where I lost a 15 man DC squad with a reclusiarch and a 5 man SG squad with Dante, a libby and a sang priest to perils really put me off deep striking my guys dry.png. This was with the 5th ed codex as well, when we still had DOA on everyone.

Coke cans, or more usually empty cans of relentless energy drink in my buddy's case, have the perfect drop-pod footprint!

Piles of books and dvds as buildings, scrunched-up dishcloths as hills and a half-full tube of long spaghetti as an aegis line...some things just do not deserve to be changed. Happy memories.

Archived