Dantestar

Deschenus Maximus

The Dante + Bike Squad thread gave me a rather devilish idea:

Dante

Captain - Relic Blade, Storm Shield, Artificer Armour, Auspex, Space Marine Bike

Sanguinary Priest - Bolt Pistol (why oh why is it not part of his base gear???), Valour's Edge, Auspex, Space Marine Bike

501 pts

Marching order: Dante, followed by the Captain, followed by the Priest.

-Majority T5 combined with 2+ Armour Save and FnP means that it's going to take a lot of small arms fire to even cause a single wound to Dante. 40.5 BS 4 boltgun shots, for example.

-Any S8-9 shots get LoS to the Captain for him to save on his Artificer Armour or Storm Shield (because Dante would be denied FnP).

-Any S10 hits stay with Dante so as not to see the Captain instagibbed.

-Only 3 models in the squad limits the damage Blast and Template weapons can do the unit.

-Majority WS 7 means WS 3 models only hit on 5+ in CC.

-The squad throws out 6 WS 7 S7 Ap2 attacks @ Init 6/7, 4 WS 7 S7 Ap3 attacks @ Init 5/6 and 4 WS 6 S5 Ap2 attacks at Init 4/5 on the charge.

-2 Auspexes add some utility to the unit.

-Hit and Run at Init 6 greatly limits the problem tarpits can cause to most deathstars.

-Highly mobile

-Can split off to go after different targets/contest multiple objectives on T5.

Pretty badass. Would not use in an environment where superheavies are used, but otherwise, I'd feel confident sending this against pretty much anything else in the game.

Can be made even deadlier (though costlier) with Allied SM bike CM.

Priest has a Chainsword, so he doesn't need a Bolt Pistol if you buy him Valour's Edge.

Why two Auspex? Wasn't aware that they stacked with one another.

They defs dont stack.  Maybe for two different units? 

Also, you would need a BP to get the extra attack as Valour's Edge replaces a weapon. 

Priest has a Chainsword, so he doesn't need a Bolt Pistol if you buy him Valour's Edge.

Why two Auspex? Wasn't aware that they stacked with one another.

Also, you would need a BP to get the extra attack as Valour's Edge replaces a weapon. 

Seriously, why don't we have a facepalm smiliey?

Stick 'em in a Grav Bike Command Squad and save yourself the Priest. Only slighly more expensive but has better dakka, more bodies and still access to FnP through the CS apothecary.

As pointed out, we unfortunately don't have Bike Command Squads. Would be awesome if we did though. Storm Shields, Grav Guns, claws and fists. Hurrrah

Yes, two different units.

Stick 'em in a Grav Bike Command Squad and save yourself the Priest. Only slighly more expensive but has better dakka, more bodies and still access to FnP through the CS apothecary.

As pointed out, we unfortunately don't have Bike Command Squads. Would be awesome if we did though. Storm Shields, Grav Guns, claws and fists. Hurrrah

Immersturn makes extensive use of allies.  I assume he was referring to an allied unit!

Immersturn makes extensive use of allies.  I assume he was referring to an allied unit!

Yeah that's ok. I'm just unable to do that myself.

Had another sorta crazy idea:

Dante

Librarian - Bike, ML 2, Gallian's Staff, Auspex

Librarian - Bike, ML 2, Valour's Edge, Auspex

480 pts

Both Libbies roll on Biomancy - or at least until one of them gets Iron Arm. Due to Majority Toughness, the whole squad would count as T8. Iron Arm libby with Galian's Staff would strike at S10 on the charge, Valour's Edge libby would strike at S8 but with Ap2.

It's a lot less reliable than the version I've presented in the OP, but has potentialy greater dividents. Even if you don't get Iron Arm, the other Biomancy powers are solid (except for Haomorrage).

Correct me if im wrong, but arent Relic blades 2H? meaning u cant use one with a Storm shield

They are two handed but all that means is he can never get the +1 attack for using two weapons. Doesn't say anywhere in the rule that he can't have more than the one weapon.

Had another sorta crazy idea:

Dante

Librarian - Bike, ML 2, Gallian's Staff, Auspex

Librarian - Bike, ML 2, Valour's Edge, Auspex

480 pts

Both Libbies roll on Biomancy - or at least until one of them gets Iron Arm. Due to Majority Toughness, the whole squad would count as T8. Iron Arm libby with Galian's Staff would strike at S10 on the charge, Valour's Edge libby would strike at S8 but with Ap2.

It's a lot less reliable than the version I've presented in the OP, but has potentialy greater dividents. Even if you don't get Iron Arm, the other Biomancy powers are solid (except for Haomorrage).

Def. something i'd like to try, even if just for fun. 

Correct me if im wrong, but arent Relic blades 2H? meaning u cant use one with a Storm shield

They are two handed but all that means is he can never get the +1 attack for using two weapons. Doesn't say anywhere in the rule that he can't have more than the one weapon.

hmmm i think you may need to look into this, as back in 6th ed i ran vanguards alot and gave my Sarge a power first on the pretense he couldn't use a relic blade with a storm shield, i could be wrong, its just what the guys in GW told me though and they are prone to errors

hmmm i think you may need to look into this, as back in 6th ed i ran vanguards alot and gave my Sarge a power first on the pretense he couldn't use a relic blade with a storm shield, i could be wrong, its just what the guys in GW told me though and they are prone to errors

No, relic blade storm shield is perfectly legal.

Two handed may have been different in 6th, idk. I'm just starting my BAs and never used any two handed weapons in my other armies. This is coming straight from the little pop up rule box in my iCodex, wording is pretty much exactly the same as the no +1 Attack clause for storm shields.

• 4 weeks later...

No, they were mistaken. Being able to carry 3-4 hands worth of weapons hs been around since 4th edition.

Look up the 2 handed rule, and the storm shield rule. Looking up the actual rules themselves is much better than asking someone else for them.

2 handed was not different in 6th. The no +1 attack rule is not related to the rules which state what weapons a model can take.

Archived