Starting dark angels

GuardsmenBob

Playing such a small force of Deathwing is hard but not impossible. Check out Solrac's topic for interesting setup and batreps.

[url=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/300039-1000pt-deathwing-battle-reports-new-batrep-19122014/#entry3895769]http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/300039-1000pt-deathwing-battle-reports-new-batrep-19122014/url]

Btw 'Deathwing' should be one word <_<.

Cheers

I

Belial plus three squads of DW all tactical will be a challenge but you'll enjoy the scrap. Or drop one squad for a ven LRC for more mobility.

Either way you'll need to be able to put out damage in both the shooting and CC phases so take mostly shooting termies with maybe a TH/SS in each squad.

BS

EDIT: DW is easier to spell than death wing too :P

Take your pick. I'm not sure Dreadnoughts work that well in 7th to justfy their inclusion. They are better in pods anyway as the pods can score.

So I would either go with the DWCS option or the three straight DW squads.

Also a lot will depend on your intended tactics. If you're footslogging for any reason rather than deep striking then the Land Raider option is good too. Just for its AV shielding potential rather than as a transport. I love wheeling out the big guns in small games.

Maybe I should play Guard ^_^.

Cheers

I

Posted · Hidden by Chaplain Lucifer, December 23, 2014 - leet speak
Hidden by Chaplain Lucifer, December 23, 2014 - leet speak

Take your pick. I'm not sure Dreadnoughts work that well in 7th to justfy their inclusion. They are better in pods anyway as the pods can score.

So I would either go with the DWCS option or the three straight DW squads.

Also a lot will depend on your intended tactics. If you're footslogging for any reason rather than deep striking then the Land Raider option is good too. Just for its AV shielding potential rather than as a transport. I love wheeling out the big guns in small games.

Maybe I should play Guard happy.png.

Cheers

I

dreads make suprisingly good tank hunters, one lascannon is all u need baby and u got it made, he can also be pretty good at polishing offsmall infantry units with an assault cannon or twin linked auto-cannon

Thanks, for the suggestions

So I think I will start like this

Belial

Thunder Hammer Storm Sheild

Death wing command squad

Apothecary

Champion with halberd of Caliban

X2 lightning Claws

x2 Thunder Hammer Storm Sheilds

Death wing knights

2 squads of death wing termies

4 thunder hammer storm shields

Assault Cannon 

So the way I running them they are little less then 1250

Thanks, for the suggestions

So I think I will start like this

Belial

Thunder Hammer Storm Sheild

Death wing command squad

Apothecary

Champion with halberd of Caliban

X2 lightning Claws

x2 Thunder Hammer Storm Sheilds

Death wing knights

2 squads of death wing termies

4 thunder hammer storm shields

Assault Cannon 

So the way I running them they are little less then 1250

Any idea what type of mission you'll be playing?

Pure Deathwing can be difficult to master at 1500pts or less as you really have to make everything count down to that last Storm Bolter. You want to maximise the things you need over the things you want.

With such a low model count you really want to build your army around one thing. Too many focal points and you run out of points for things you need.

That being said with the list you have, you need to either build your list around either the Command Squad OR the Deathwing Knights purely because having an extra troops choice on the board will save your bacon as most games you play will be objective based.

That being said a few comments:

Loadouts for any squad (inc. command squad)

You should have at least 1x TH/SS in every squad to help tank AP2 hits and keep the rest of the squad alive. Put him up front with the Sergeant as lets face it if the Sergeant dies I'd rather have a power sword die straight up than a fist. The rest standard load out as you still want to have as many Storm Bolters as possible.

Deathwing Command Squad

If you choose to build your army around these guys you need to decide what type of support role they will play. You either kit them out for CC to help Belial smash through some troop lines or have them as a fire support unit.

Fire support has worked best for me as I almost always take a Standard for Fortitude with my command squad and keeping it alive is the most important thing. It is also more cost effective and better than taking an Apothercary simply because you give Feel No Pain within 12" of it not just to the squad and you don't gimp the loadout of that trooper (e.g a Standard bearer can still have all weapon options whilst an Apothecary only has a Storm Bolter).

The company Champion is a bargain at its points cost but if you intend not to get into assault, put those points somewhere else (unless you have points left over).

Deathwing Knights

If you choose to build your army around these bad boys, always have more than 5 in a unit, especially if they are deep striking. It only takes one or two die from a 5 man squad to lose their effectiveness even with their Smite mode.

Normal Deathwing Squads

keep to the standard loadout above to maximise Storm Bolters as these guys should only be assaulting a weakended Elite unit or an assured win over troop choices. Otherwise stand back, thin down infantry with Storm Bolter fire and Split Fire any anti-tank weapons at armour. Remember to resist throwing your standard squads into assault just because you want to. Powerfists arn't effective on a dead terminator having to wait to attack at I1.

If you decide to take them as a CC unit, take more than 5 if deep striking and still have one of them take a Cyclone. The option to weaken a squad before assaulting is always better than fighting something at full strength.

Final Comments

Weight of fire/attacks will be the end of you. Always position your terminators to try and prevent so much firepower going onto one squad, as 1s WILL eventually show their face. Cyclones arn't always the best for armour, in most cases Assault Cannons can do a better job.

Lastly weight of fire works against your enemy as well. If you can spare the points make use of Belials no scatter rule. My 10 man Deathwing Squad with 2 heavy flamers still has more kills than anything else i've fielded to date.

Great advice Solrac!

A question about the DW Command Squad Champion. If I recall correctly, it says 1 Deathwing in the *army* can be upgraded to the Champion. Does that really mean that the Champion upgrade can be given to a non-Command Squad Deathwing unit? Or must the Champion reside in the Command Squad?

Belial

1x dwcs

2x dwt

Belial

2x dwt

Landraider

Belial

2x dwt

2x dreadnought

Belial

3x dwt

Belial

Librarian

2x dwt

Dreadnought

I've been thinking along the same lines as a few of these - specifically the belial + 3 troops and also the belial, 2 troops and 2 dreads. One other thing I've been wondering about is the inclusion of Ravenwing units at less than 1000 points?

Any idea what type of mission you'll be playing?

Pure Deathwing can be difficult to master at 1500pts or less as you really have to make everything count down to that last Storm Bolter. You want to maximise the things you need over the things you want.

With such a low model count you really want to build your army around one thing. Too many focal points and you run out of points for things you need.

That being said with the list you have, you need to either build your list around either the Command Squad OR the Deathwing Knights purely because having an extra troops choice on the board will save your bacon as most games you play will be objective based.

That being said a few comments:

Loadouts for any squad (inc. command squad)

You should have at least 1x TH/SS in every squad to help tank AP2 hits and keep the rest of the squad alive. Put him up front with the Sergeant as lets face it if the Sergeant dies I'd rather have a power sword die straight up than a fist. The rest standard load out as you still want to have as many Storm Bolters as possible.

Deathwing Command Squad

If you choose to build your army around these guys you need to decide what type of support role they will play. You either kit them out for CC to help Belial smash through some troop lines or have them as a fire support unit.

Fire support has worked best for me as I almost always take a Standard for Fortitude with my command squad and keeping it alive is the most important thing. It is also more cost effective and better than taking an Apothercary simply because you give Feel No Pain within 12" of it not just to the squad and you don't gimp the loadout of that trooper (e.g a Standard bearer can still have all weapon options whilst an Apothecary only has a Storm Bolter).

The company Champion is a bargain at its points cost but if you intend not to get into assault, put those points somewhere else (unless you have points left over).

Deathwing Knights

If you choose to build your army around these bad boys, always have more than 5 in a unit, especially if they are deep striking. It only takes one or two die from a 5 man squad to lose their effectiveness even with their Smite mode.

Normal Deathwing Squads

keep to the standard loadout above to maximise Storm Bolters as these guys should only be assaulting a weakended Elite unit or an assured win over troop choices. Otherwise stand back, thin down infantry with Storm Bolter fire and Split Fire any anti-tank weapons at armour. Remember to resist throwing your standard squads into assault just because you want to. Powerfists arn't effective on a dead terminator having to wait to attack at I1.

If you decide to take them as a CC unit, take more than 5 if deep striking and still have one of them take a Cyclone. The option to weaken a squad before assaulting is always better than fighting something at full strength.

Final Comments

Weight of fire/attacks will be the end of you. Always position your terminators to try and prevent so much firepower going onto one squad, as 1s WILL eventually show their face. Cyclones arn't always the best for armour, in most cases Assault Cannons can do a better job.

Lastly weight of fire works against your enemy as well. If you can spare the points make use of Belials no scatter rule. My 10 man Deathwing Squad with 2 heavy flamers still has more kills than anything else i've fielded to date.

That's some very clear and concise held there Solrac, I'll echo the others with my thanks.

Archived