Assault sternguard?

Cronhour

i should of been clearer with the first post it was in reference to the archangels sanguine wing. 2 10 man units of vanguard vets, one 10 man unit of sternguard, one stormraven, VV get a free power weapon, sternguard a free combi or stormbolter but must start in the raven. Its not really about the best sternguard loadout in general or delivery system but the possability of using them in this formation as a supporting assault force, i suggested storm bolters as their assault 2 weapons as opposed to rapid fire or salvo.

Yeah, but with SBs they basically become expensive A2 Marines. The whole point of Sternguard is Special Ammo. Combimelta all of them, either melta and charge or single fire appropriate special ammo (no rapid fire) and charge. Or hold off with fire, supporting the Vanguard Squads.

If I could save points swapping the sternguard out I probably would, I guess I'm the only one who doesn't see the value of late arrival combi weapons. I figured the rate of fire from assault 2 bolters plus 30 str 5 attacks would outweigh them ( and it feels pretty Ba) I shall give em a whirl and see how it goes.

[snip]...Having two types of template weapons in the same unit reduces the effectiveness of whichever you fire second...[snip]...I also play guard and use 30-40 man blobs. This unit would ruin them!

Not being picky here but this is a common misconception on here, and the second part of your quote contradicts the first; a unit with a single flamer would ruin a 30-40 man blob? No, but add a heavy flamer and it probably will.

Did you read the original question or my post in full? We were definitely talking about more than one flamer :)

If we were just talking about a tactical squad I would totally agree but in a sternguard squad 8 flamer shots would leave very little left for the heavy flamers to target. Or if you fired the heavy flamers first it would definitely reduce the effectiveness of the 8 (free) flamers.

[snip]...Having two types of template weapons in the same unit reduces the effectiveness of whichever you fire second...[snip]...I also play guard and use 30-40 man blobs. This unit would ruin them!

Not being picky here but this is a common misconception on here, and the second part of your quote contradicts the first; a unit with a single flamer would ruin a 30-40 man blob? No, but add a heavy flamer and it probably will.

Did you read the original question or my post in full? We were definitely talking about more than one flamer smile.png

If we were just talking about a tactical squad I would totally agree but in a sternguard squad 8 flamer shots would leave very little left for the heavy flamers to target. Or if you fired the heavy flamers first it would definitely reduce the effectiveness of the 8 (free) flamers.

You don't have to use all your Flamers. Use 2 HF and 4 free flamers, keep the other 4 for targets of opportunity or overwatch. That's not wasted points.

Archived