Drop pods or Jump packs

Theduke08

Im contemplating how to run my old RAS and im trying to decide between jump packs and drop pods.  Effectively running as suicide squads for coming in and nuking some armor.  They will be the same price either with or without jump packs.  Im leaning towards jump packs because once they deep strike ill still retain some mobility where drop pod they are just done.  Obviously with the pod I get them in guaranteed but I think i can risk it.  Im planning on running them with dual meltaguns and a combimelta on the Sarg.  Anyone else see a better/different way to run them?

You can mix if you wish.  Bring in something in a Pod with locator beacon turn 1 (ASM, Sternguard, Dred, allied Cents, ect).  Most opponents ignore drop pods if they have a better target.  Turn 2 start bringing in you ASM off of the beacon.  Once those Pod hatches drop that is a huge footprint of scatter-less landing zone.

I think in the past when things have gone wrong for me was when my reserves didn't come in to support each other. I'd say what you don't want is a situation where your units get isolated. Even with re-rolls to reserve, I often have one unit or more that manage to have difficulty coming in.

I think those melta assault squads in pods are probably going to be good. I really love the ability to get out of a pod and get good positioning. In a tight spot you can use the pod for cover. Also, unlike multiple small jump pack units, there is a lot less chance of a mishap in pods. 

Can terminators take a pod now? I'm just thinking that terminators and dreadnoughts, though not always everyone's favorite, can still be really big problems if they get close to the enemy. So, if your melta pods come in, you could have heavy hitting elites to back them up and tacticals in reserve pods. Or, depending on how your enemy deploys you can bring the tacticals in first to clear out troops and wait on the anti-tank till you get an opening. The worry I would have is about effective shooting against skimmers/tanks with cover saves (tacticals w/flamers & flak cannon dreadnoughts can probably take out troops).

I've used jumpers for a long time, but I've moved to pods. I think it's really important to get shots off when you arrive. And you really could outfit death company or sanguinary guard with a lot of pistols--but inferno pistols are just too short of range and this will get pricey. 

I will say that relic jump pack that causes the enemy to snap fire interceptor shots definitely has a tactical use. In a reserves heavy list this relic, probably on a sanguinary priest, is good. 

You can mix if you wish.  Bring in something in a Pod with locator beacon turn 1 (ASM, Sternguard, Dred, allied Cents, ect).  Most opponents ignore drop pods if they have a better target.  Turn 2 start bringing in you ASM off of the beacon.  Once those Pod hatches drop that is a huge footprint of scatter-less landing zone.

This sounds a good tactic to me. However I don't think you can measure the 6" for the locator beacon from the open doors, can you? I thought all vehicle measurements are taken from the hull (except shooting which is from the actual gun)?

This sounds a good tactic to me. However I don't think you can measure the 6" for the locator beacon from the open doors, can you? I thought all vehicle measurements are taken from the hull (except shooting which is from the actual gun)?

As I understand it yoy measure from the hull as if closed.

In my game yesterday I took one of my 5-man melta RAS squads with Jump Packs instead of a Pod, simply because taking another Pod would have given me a round number of pods. 

They still did well; hung them back just behind my Death Company, and they still made it, and still did some considerable damage.

If running a single RAS, I would go for 2 melta guns and dual infernus pistols on the serg in a pod. The Pod ensures that you get your 4 melta shots on turn 1 when you really need that vital alpha strike. The Pod is good for accuracy too meaning the short range of the infernus pistol is less of a hindrance.

If you have the points for a second squad, jump packs, 2 meltas and a combi-melta on the serg seem good as they will hopefully last a bit longer at that point. As others have said though, jump pack deep strike is a whole lot more reliable with Dante.

^ this.

Seriously, that re-roll is an unsung godsend. No single thing can turn a game on its head like it.

More than a few times I've had my main assault unit scatter horrifically and land right under the noses of a big stonking gunline, instead of behind LOS cover some 12" away. Nothing like that re-roll to cut your opponent's howls of joy dead in their tracks.

Take it and don't be afraid to use it in turn one.

Archived