Black Library advent Calander

With today being Christmas, we see the finial part to the Black Library advent calander & both Chaos related

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/advent-calendar-2014.html

Look like the World Eater story will be base on Khârn with this on the BL home page:  Before Skalathrax, he was to be saviour of the XII Legion...

With today being Christmas, we see the finial part to the Black Library advent calander & both Chaos related

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/advent-calendar-2014.html

Look like the World Eater story will be base on Khârn with this on the BL home page: Before Skalathrax, he was to be saviour of the XII Legion...

I got told it was a dataslate

I purchased the formation, and I can say that its a nice formation for Khârn and some friends. It seems rather balanced from a rules perspective, but does have a few nice buffs and a way to take advantage of the large number of attacks berzerkers get! 

Explain...!

I purchased the formation, and I can say that its a nice formation for Khârn and some friends. It seems rather balanced from a rules perspective, but does have a few nice buffs and a way to take advantage of the large number of attacks berzerkers get! 

Explain...!

All units in the formation get double their profile numbers of attacks if a certain number (BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD) is rolled when they charge. Also, any To Hit rolls of 6 have the "exploding" dice mechanic with no limitation on the number of re-rolls. 

Explain...!

All units in the formation get double their profile numbers of attacks if a certain number (BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD) is rolled when they charge. Also, any To Hit rolls of 6 have the "exploding" dice mechanic with no limitation on the number of re-rolls.

Very nice!

FORMATION • Khârn the Betrayer • 4 units of Chaos Space Marines • 4 units of Khorne Berserkers RESTRICTIONS All units in this Formation must have the Chaos Space Marines Faction. All units of Chaos Space Marines in this Formation must take the Mark of Khorne upgrade. SPECIAL RULES Adamantium Will Blood and Rage: If a unit from this Formation rolls an 8 when rolling its charge range (after any re-rolls), all models in that unit double the Attacks value on their profile until the end of the phase. Slaughter Without Respite: Each time a model from this Formation scores a 6 when rolling To Hit in the Assault phase, it can immediately make another Attack. If these additional Attacks score a 6 To Hit, they also grant additional Attacks.

Yeah first the double attacks thing seems cool, then you realise that attack value is 1 for anyone in the formation anyway, so basicallt apart from Khârn they all get +1 attack..., big whope for something that asks you to field 8 units in wich 4 are overcosted with no options units...*sight¨...

Wish they at least would worked it a bit more, like Khârn 0+ Chaos Lord, 0+ Chosen, 2-4 Zerkers, 1-4 CMS, 0+Bikes, 0+Deamon Engine.

Also more of a pack, like 2-3 different formations, 1 specific FoC and a few datacards and altar of War missions, for 15$ that would have been ace.

This formation at best is nice for a fluff and fun game, but for anything more serious, in 7th Ed mecanics?, its not even funny to look at.

Yeah first the double attacks thing seems cool, then you realise that attack value is 1 for anyone in the formation anyway, so basicallt apart from Khârn they all get +1 attack..., big whope for something that asks you to field 8 units in wich 4 are overcosted with no options units...*sight¨...

Wish they at least would worked it a bit more, like Khârn 0+ Chaos Lord, 0+ Chosen, 2-4 Zerkers, 1-4 CMS, 0+Bikes, 0+Deamon Engine.

Also more of a pack, like 2-3 different formations, 1 specific FoC and a few datacards and altar of War missions, for 15$ that would have been ace.

This formation at best is nice for a fluff and fun game, but for anything more serious, in 7th Ed mecanics?, its not even funny to look at.

While not overly powerful, with a little strategy and skill this formation could be effective. I agree that the 'double profile number of attacks' seems a bit lackluster, but it does mean that the Berzerkers will have 5 attacks each on the charge and the Champion will have 6-7 attacks on the charge. If you are running a lightning claw Champ those 7 shred attacks alone are some serious business!  Then add that weight of dice to the second rule where they generate more Hits on each roll of a 6, and you have some serious potential for melee combat!

I like it. Seems very fluffy and I'm especially pleased by the return of Sacred numbers mattering. I wish we could get those for all Gods.

The next Chaos Codex really needs to bring those number bonuses back. For example make the Icon cheaper for troops with the "right" number of units or give them some other bonus. Maybe free Chain-Axes for 8 Berzerkers or something like that. Just ways for us to be different to the loyalists.

Each to hit roll of a 6 adds another attack, if you roll another 6 on that added attack it will add another attack and so on. Its a game mechanic from other games (board games, dice games etc) and its generally referred to as 'Exploding 6's, or 'Exploding dice'. 

You can tell that CSM are overcosted because together the formation at min unit strength would cost 880pts if not for the mandatory marks of khorne :D

why do the dice explode on 6es then?

Because 40k doesn't use D8s, I imagine... I would have gone with every roll of a 4 myself so 4+4=8, but...

Explain...!

See...now this is something to build around.

Is it game breaking? No, but its better than the Helguard unless your going all in on Fear checks.

TO THE LIST CAVE!

Explain...!

See...now this is something to build around.

Is it game breaking? No, but its better than the Helguard unless your going all in on Fear checks.

TO THE LIST CAVE!

I completely agree Scribe, when I first read the rules I was thinking that the CSM would be useful for opening tanks etc and then the Berzerkers charge in.

Its time that us Khorne War Lords use some tatics beside running headlong at the enemy, frothing at the mouth!

Archived