Dipping into Blood Angels...

FlamingWalnut

Long story short, I am a Vanilla Marine player that has come into the possession of 10 Death Company and a Librarian Dreadnaught. Not being able to use these units without some counts as (and DC's icons would be a PAIN to try and cover up...) I was wondering if there was any formation that included these two that I can get? I am mostly looking to NOT have to get a second codex just to field some units....though I do love Blood Angels....

Basically, I'm looking for ways to field the Librarian Dreadnaught and Death Company in a Vanilla list. Any nice detachments? Some suggestions to Weapon Loadouts? What equipment can a Librarian Dreadnaught even take? If I take an allied unit, is a Libby Dread an HQ? I'm pretty sure I heard DC aren't troops, so a Tac squad will have to convert over, yes? 

Mostly, I'm just a little unsure how to procede, whether to just counts as (though I would LIKE a Libby Dread...), allied detachment, or some cool formation I don't know about. Any and all suggestions would be nice...

You could go allied detachment, take a 10 man tac squad with a heavy flamer and flamer in a pod as your troops, libby dread as HQ and your DC could take up an elites slot. Of course you could give the tac squad whatever you want in terms of special/heavy weps, but you may as well make the most of heavy flamers on tacs since they are BA specific. In fast attack you could grab a pod to put Cents in? I don't think there are any formations that use only those 2 squads sorry.

You can take the bear bones allied detachment, in the last book of the sheild of baal fleash tearers (as much as I hate them) have one of the best data slates for allies, it's 1hq which you have as libby, 1 elite which is your DC, and 1 fast attack, cheapest way to get them. On the feild, pop a drop pod in the fast attack slot and upgrade both libby dred and DC with pods each means you'll get both libby and DC where you Want them turn 1 and if you have other pods just play around with the numbers libby and DC can take the fast attack slot pod.

I would rather go for a proper detachment for Blood Angels as the Baal Strike force provides the +1I on the charge. If you take BAs as allies you lose that bonus and get ObjSec instead on the Troops. I would rather run BAs as the primary detachment and take vanilla Marines as the allies if you need Objsec.

I realise this doesn't help the OP much but a large part of the potency of DC is their +1I on the charge as this allows them to strike before most opponents. Lose that bonus and you lose one of the principal advantages of taking BAs in the first place.

I would rather go for a proper detachment for Blood Angels as the Baal Strike force provides the +1I on the charge. If you take BAs as allies you lose that bonus and get ObjSec instead on the Troops. I would rather run BAs as the primary detachment and take vanilla Marines as the allies if you need Objsec.

I realise this doesn't help the OP much but a large part of the potency of DC is their +1I on the charge as this allows them to strike before most opponents. Lose that bonus and you lose one of the principal advantages of taking BAs in the first place.

Ok, so if I'm understanding you right, it would be better for my DC to take the Baal Strike Force detachment/formation/thing instead of just a basic Allied detachment? That +1 initiative on the charge sounds wonderful...

The Libby Dread has been assembled and will stay that way. It is my favorite form of the Furioso (though his arms are detachable, so I can run him as a Regular dread if needed). That Flesh Tearers formation sounds nice, with just needing an extra Fast Attack. What bonus comes with that formation? Or is it just to ignore troops (either way I'm good)

Honestly, at this point, I'm not AGAINST just having a BA army mixed with my vanillas as I'm still sorting out Chapter fluff and Blood Angels are pretty awesome. I just would like to avoid buying another codex at this point. 

Also, what loadout do you suppose is best for a 10 man DC squad? Are Jump Packs worth it? I probably won't be getting a Storm Raven any time soon, but I do have a Land Raider Crusader and maybe Drop Pods in the future. Also, is there any special load outs to the Dread Libby? Or is he just a furioso with psychic powers? Thanks for the advice so far, it has been helpful!

Archived