In the Company of Death; considering the Damned

ContemptuousAngel

So I've got the makings of an entirely Death Company army, and will be getting my first games in soon. So I'm thinking of which detachment to use them to their greatest effect.

It's sort of a toss up, in my mind. The force I have could easily fit the Baalite or Combined arms detachment.

It's a game changing conundrum: give Raephen and Cassor Objective Secured or give the whole force +1 initiative?

I don't think the flesh Tearers detachment would benefit an all DC army, as they already have rage.

I was also thinking about starting an in depth conversation about the best DC load outs and how to use them, my personal favorite being the Storm Raven blitz.

Any thoughts?

How many points are you looking at?

In any case Baal Strike Force is your best bet. Get that I bonus on the charge plus an extra elite slot. You could even take Cassius and squad Raphen as your troops.

Loadout depends on your local meta, but as a benchmark for an all-comers DC list I would suggest at least one squad of 8 or more with a TH and a PF for anti-MC work. Astorath would be best attached to these but a chappy will still be good. The fun is in finding the right balance so they don't win the assault on your turn and leave themselves open to shooting.

I wouldn't bother fitting them with special pistols or boltguns. If you need some anti-armour and don't mind some non-DC, put some melta tacticals in a pod or two.

My local area group loves playing at 2000 points.

I've actually found boltguns on my DC to be fairly effective (and it looks cool) especially on Jump packs.

Right now I've got 16 non jumpy guys and 10 jumpy guys, some with bolters and some with bolt/special pistols. 5 work as Reaphen's DC. Also have a DC dread and will be getting another one soon.

When I get a third storm Raven I'll be dropping some of those boys on people like crazy.

If they all have pistols of some sort, and a close combat weapon, then they have an automatic 25 CC attacks. Throw in a librarian using "unleash rage" and you'll get 30 attacks. 

If you take a flame pistol along with the other pistols, you can do some massive pre-charge damage. 

Does Lemartes take up a separate elite slot? I've seen this stated but couldn't find a confirmation either way.

Yes, I'm pretty sure he does.

He takes up an elite slot, that's the difference msn-wink.gif

Right, but from my understanding, you can take unlimited amount of any slot. So I can have 100 Elite Slots. They just don't all apply in the Detachment rules. So at most the only thing he'll miss out on is the +1 initiative on charge. But I could be wrong, I just asked in the Rules area.

+Edit+

Example to clarify:

1 HQ, 2 Troops, 1 Elite (Take away the optional choices right now)

1 Chaplain (HQ)

2 Tacticals (Troops)

1 DC squad (Elite)

They all get the Red Thirst special rule

____

(Forgetting the optional slots you can take)

1 Lemartes (Elite). You can still take him, you just don't get +1 Initiative on charge.

+Edit Number Two+

I only say forget the optional slots because I'm away from my codex right now so I can't remember what their optional slots are.

Basically, pretend those are also all full with other units.

Every unit has to part of a detachment (that includes formations), or you don't get the command benefits from any detachment, IE, Red Thirst and Warlord Trait reroll (but you do get formation's special rules).

Lemartes seems to lack a real role, unless you want a chaplain for your DC, and have two HQs already. Because what does he bring outside of zealot? 6 Str. 8, AP4 attacks, after he takes a wound? Astoroth brings more to the DC (re-rolls to wound), and two DC with Powerfists adds more CC punch (10 Str. 9, AP2 attacks, though unwieldy).

Every unit has to part of a detachment (that includes formations), or you don't get the command benefits from any detachment, IE, Red Thirst and Warlord Trait reroll (but you do get formation's special rules).

Lemartes seems to lack a real role, unless you want a chaplain for your DC, and have two HQs already. Because what does he bring outside of zealot? 6 Str. 8, AP4 attacks, after he takes a wound? Astoroth brings more to the DC (re-rolls to wound), and two DC with Powerfists adds more CC punch (10 Str. 9, AP2 attacks, though unwieldy).

Ah, thanks.

Well at any rate, the BSF can take 4 elites, so I don't think it will hurt any to take him unless you've got 4 elites you already want to take.

Thanks for the replies, gents.

I've converted what few of my unpainted Astartes to Death Company colors.

I have created, with a couple exceptions (a sternguard squad and a vanguard veteran squad), created an entirely Death Company army. I also have 3 tac squads and 3 stormravens for when I want to really stomp my opponent in the neck. *the 3rd storm raven is incoming

So my 2 troops choices are Raephan's Death Company and Cassor; these are troops choices in the Deathstorm book, and can be used as troops choices in regular games of 40k, and count toward the Baalite Strike Force detachment. I've also got a mob of 25 footy death company and another 5 with jetpacks, mostly armed with bolters and a good smattering of powerfists, thunder hammers, and hand flamers. 

I'll be playing this saturday against a guy who will either be playing Deathwing or Space Wolves (he actually bought all of my Space Wolves, allowing me to complete my army).

This should be fun. I'll post pics soon,

have you considered the death company formation, Angel?  Strike Force Mortalis.

you take a chaplain, 3 death company squads, 2 death company dreads, and a stormraven.  everyone gains Crusader (roll 2D6 and pick the highest to run, and gain +D3" when sweeping advance).  they also have another benefit for the 3 DC squads; if they're outnumbered in melee, they gain +1 attack. 

just keep your squads around the 9 or so models each area, and your fairly likely to always gain the +1 attack in melee.

something to consider if you're going to rock a DC force (which i kinda want to do myself haha)

Since I can't sleep, I just built a list using the strike force mortalis formation with:

Astorath

X10 DC with jump packs, special weapons

X10 footy DC with boltwers, smattering of special weapons

X8 DC with special weapons and bolters

X2 DC dreads, blood talons

Storm Raven

Landraider redeemer

1850 points...

unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to use astorath in the formation for the chaplain; it has to be a generic chaplain guy, not a named character; astorath is also the high-chaplain in charge of the reclusiam for the chapter.

Archived