Sicaran? Worth it?

Praefectus Invictus

I was right about to buy myself IA 2 today and then my car broke down. Sigh why does the world not want me to buy this. Last time I tried buying the book my phone broke. Why o why. Also you would have to cut the land raider front part off for it to look more like a sicarian but if you are just procuring it in a game I've heard they are similar sizes. I'm warming up to the sicarian when I first saw it the sicarian looked ugly as sin to me. The. I realized how much it reminds me of the bat mobile from the dark knight and some imagining and now I love the design. Also does it have tank hunters all game with the legacy or only one turn? It's kinda sad but the sicarian is only 20 points more expensive than the Baal and you get so much from it.

Have any of you tried out the Fire Raptor or Caestus? I am thinking about picking one of them up as well

Fire Raptor is amazing, don't rely on it cracking a monolith but its great anti AV and an excellent character assassin. Its won a few battles for me now.

A Sicaran runs very well with 2 of our vindicators, its a hell of a threat and can really spread the hurt around.

Caestus is the next thing I want to try, it seems a bit like the Spartan which is also amazing but I've not used it yet, any tips fellas?

I ran the caestus a few timed before the new dex came out and I had to drop it at least until something fills the old reclusiarch role.

Probably not the most experienced with it but I stuck the Battle of Keylek LoG on it and it did everything I had wanted and more. Totally bossed the field vs Tau, wiping out a full squad of broadsides and drones in ruins one turn, next turn dropping off its assault cargo and spinning round to totally vapourise the farsight command squad. Nothing can hide fromt, it is the most reliable assault delivery and its TL weapons are a boon.

Can't recommend it enough, worth every point IMO although now with cheaper JP I'm happy not to field it, although it can carry 10 JP models.

Have any of you tried out the Fire Raptor or Caestus? I am thinking about picking one of them up as well

Fire Raptor is amazing, don't rely on it cracking a monolith but its great anti AV and an excellent character assassin. Its won a few battles for me now.

A Sicaran runs very well with 2 of our vindicators, its a hell of a threat and can really spread the hurt around.

Caestus is the next thing I want to try, it seems a bit like the Spartan which is also amazing but I've not used it yet, any tips fellas?

I ran the caestus a few timed before the new dex came out and I had to drop it at least until something fills the old reclusiarch role.

Probably not the most experienced with it but I stuck the Battle of Keylek LoG on it and it did everything I had wanted and more. Totally bossed the field vs Tau, wiping out a full squad of broadsides and drones in ruins one turn, next turn dropping off its assault cargo and spinning round to totally vapourise the farsight command squad. Nothing can hide fromt, it is the most reliable assault delivery and its TL weapons are a boon.

Can't recommend it enough, worth every point IMO although now with cheaper JP I'm happy not to field it, although it can carry 10 JP models.

I also like the caestus, both for the brutal looks and the performance. I can't say how much I love a flyer that can ram/tank shock.

A few downsides though:

Just two guns, one of them single use

Only blast weapons means no skyfire, anti air will have to come from somewhere else.

Blast weapons also means no shooting if you want to jink, but with AV13 and a 5++ you can tank hits better than a stormraven.

Ungodly expensive... 300 pts plus with keylek upgrade, almost 350 if you want to take ceramite plating. 

Model from FW is very hit and miss, it requires a ton of work if it arrives crooked. Easy as pie (few pieces, not fragile) if it's straight. 

Heavy and bulky. Solid chunks of resin (wings/fuselage) needs pinning, hard to fit in normal transport cases. 

As for the sicaran I would always go with some kind of sponsons.

It's fast, I'm paranoid about weapon destroyed results and you can force a jink on things should they survive your shooting phase. 

@ knife&fork

In the majority of cases there shouldn't be the need to jink, even against a strong Tau intercept / skyfire army. Prescienced warp spiders are a bugger though. Besides, getting the assault unit down safely is priority IMO so I don't mind jinking.

Having Battle of Keylek works well against WS spam I found. Played against a heavy WS and jetbike list, the Caestus and Sicarans combined coped with this no problem.

Small tangent, but do you guys figure that a Land Raider with a Predator turret on top would be a fair standin for a Sicaran?

I'd say not because you will be giving yourself a disadvantage.

If you check on the link below, it shows a Land Raider and a Sicaran side by side.  As you'll notice, the Land Raider is significantly larger so you are presenting your opponent with a larger target than should be the case.  

Think of it like using Terminators to proxy as Imperial Guardsmen. 

Once my wallet recovers from Christmas and my other BA are all painted, and when I guage how my local GW crowd (which I am yet to game with) will react to FW, then I will buy either a Caestus or Sicarian (....Or both... Maybe... & a Contemptor...)

Small tangent, but do you guys figure that a Land Raider with a Predator turret on top would be a fair standin for a Sicaran?

I'd say not because you will be giving yourself a disadvantage.

If you check on the link below, it shows a Land Raider and a Sicaran side by side.  As you'll notice, the Land Raider is significantly larger so you are presenting your opponent with a larger target than should be the case.  

Think of it like using Terminators to proxy as Imperial Guardsmen. 

Eh, I'm ok with being at a slight disadvantage due to size. I just don't want people bitching that I am modeling for advantage.

Here's the Sicaran kitbash that I mentioned in my review. It's not for the faint-hearted.

That's a beautiful conversion job, but one that is far outside my skill level, sadly.

Archived