A question of Tactics

Fahlnor

Slightly off-topic, but what is it that makes you take the combi-melta rather than the twin inferno pistols?  It's one of the decisions I've been trying to make recently![/color]

My guess? He's trying to keep the cost down on a squad he doesn't expect to live that long once it drops behind enemy lines.

Yup.  I think I'm convinced - this makes sense.  Though I'm also wondering whether it would work to put a ten-man squad into a Drop Pod with all four meltas and combat squad on arrival to hit two targets.  Anyway, this is off-topic.  :D

Just saw this, I've found the range from an extra melts gun is better then the pistol range. Along with saving points, it takes down the pressure of nailing that range. I always get three shots.

Bigted, dear brethren. You said:

While you and I may not agree with him, he's not wasting anyone's time, just debating a point. 

Calling somebody silly without offering any kind of explanation to back up their accusation does not qualify as debate, sorry.

Yet you still label me as condescending? In that case you must be very ignorant. Do forgive me for defending myself and for obviously having aloof standards and expectations of what is actually a 'debate'. But how anyone can learn from petty insults is beyond me, but if that's the way you support then I'll just limit my interactions to the more civil and knowledgable brethren from now on.

Sorry again for my ridiculously high expectations.

Slightly off-topic, but what is it that makes you take the combi-melta rather than the twin inferno pistols? It's one of the decisions I've been trying to make recently![/color]

My guess? He's trying to keep the cost down on a squad he doesn't expect to live that long once it drops behind enemy lines.

Yup. I think I'm convinced - this makes sense. Though I'm also wondering whether it would work to put a ten-man squad into a Drop Pod with all four meltas and combat squad on arrival to hit two targets. Anyway, this is off-topic. biggrin.png

But... how can you take 4 meltas in a 10 man squad?! I'm sure it says the max is 2 special weps per squad, no matter what the numbers. Unless you mean 2 meltas and 2 infernus pistols on the sarge?

Yup - two meltaguns and two inferno pistols = four melta weapons. You can split them so the two meltaguns hit one target and the sergeant hits a second target with his two shots. It's a bit less efficient in terms of pure points, but it saves a precious Fast Attack slot and so, in some cases, may be worth it.

Can sergeants shoot at a different target to the squad then? That's news to me!

Whats silly is your odd attitude. Remind me not to give you any more of my time.

You asked why people aren't using flamer ASM. I gave you a valid response. Not my problem if you can't figure out the simple logic.

Some people eh.

Laters.

Well, that's astonishingly rude.

I never once asked why people aren't using flamer ASM.  Not once.  I asked why people were using Tactical Squads instead of a combination of Scout Squads and Assault Squads.  I mentioned flamers purely because units tend to have weapons and I had to pick something.  They might as well have been cucumbers.

Remind me not to give you any more of my time.  I asked a question.  You seem to have completely missed the point.  Not my problem if you can't process a question properly.

Some people eh.

Laters.

You don't see it because your approach involves using Fast Attack slots to kill light infantry when the the codex's best source of firepower for killing heavy infantry and vehicles is also found in Fast Attack, with the Elites section full of units like Death Company who excel at killing Light Infantry and Sanguinary Guard who excel at killing Heavy Infantry. 

I can see the case for going with Scouts instead of Tacticals, but loading Assault Squads with flamers is a massive waste of your valuable Fast Attack slots.

I'm thinking 10 man combat squad them but keep melta together for opening transports and others can then shoot and charge the squad that spills out next turn while melta moves to next tank etc that needs opening

I think tac's ASM and scouts all have thier place which may be different depending on the rest of your list build

Archived