The Golden Sons.

GrandMagnus

So you have complete and total leeway to do whatever you want. Although if I do say so myself, the idea of them not having too many afflicted by the Flaw and thus having an attitude of general disdain for those who succumb is a brilliant idea as it would live up to what little fluff tere is as well as giving you ample reason to not have Death Company. biggrin.png

This. This right here I like biggrin.png

This is the scheme I made up in case I was going to add some Death Company:

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Philip_Breusch_Magnussen/DeathCompany_zpsb9776bb3.jpg

I had another idea of using the DC rules for a sort of "Dark" sanguinary guard. Otherwise my thoughts for the chapter was that they either execute those fallen to the rage or simply ram them into the enemy lines, but it feels like a waist of time to repaint a fallen brothers armour black just to have him massacred huh.png

I did have an idea of maybe using a fleur de lis or even the cross of the Knights of Saint James (Santiago de Compostela) because its a really fancy cross, but it just feels like its more suited for the IF genelines.

You mean this one?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9e/Cross_Santiago.svg/177px-Cross_Santiago.svg.png

She's a fancy one alright, very stylish indeed. Will you be using just the cross or will you be adding bits to it like a blood drop or wings?

EDIT: Changed picture to a smaller version, thankfully Wikipedia is kind enough to have multiple sizes. :)

Couldn't find a smaller one, could you? :P

Hehe, my apologies Olis, I wasn't even thinking about the possible size of the image when I grabbed it (I'm using my IPod so it scaled to fit my screen you see), I've replaced it with a smaller version now.

Yeap SR, that one exactly. I was thinking about how to make it more angelic but no ideas really spring to mind. However, the chapter being from a shrine world, I can still see them using that icon.

Perhaps you could place the halo from your earlier concept behind the cross?

Couldn't find a smaller one, could you? tongue.png

Hehe, my apologies Olis, I wasn't even thinking about the possible size of the image when I grabbed it (I'm using my IPod so it scaled to fit my screen you see), I've replaced it with a smaller version now.

I wasn't really expecting you to correct the image, brother. Well played. :tu:

So, SanguiniusReborn, something like this you mean:

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Philip_Breusch_Magnussen/921_zpsa5ea8546.png

Quick paintjob tongue.png Considering the scale it might be a bit too dificult to incorporate both the halo and the cross, a blood drop is easier.

Couldn't find a smaller one, could you? tongue.png

I wasn't really expecting you to correct the image, brother. Well played. :tu:
That's me, always happy to help. :)

So, SanguiniusReborn, something like this you mean:

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Philip_Breusch_Magnussen/921_zpsa5ea8546.png

Quick paintjob tongue.png Considering the scale it might be a bit too dificult to incorporate both the halo and the cross, a blood drop is easier.

I actually intended the cross to be a tad bigger than that, so that the cross section was still within the ring but the bottom "tail" extended over the halo and formed the bottom spike of the halo. :P

Working on the next marine. And also I :cuss hate superglue... It ruined the entire MK IV body and head from the BA tacticals furious.gif

Also, here is the piece of their last stand fluff, be warned its probably horrible :P I definetly needs some fine tuning:

In 908. M41 the chapters homeworld came under attack of an Iron Warriors war fleet. The Dark metal ships left the warp and for unknown reasons headed straight for Arcanno. The entire chapter was rallied to the defense of their home, the astartes fleet forming naval blockades around the planets orbital platforms and the ground forces preparing for the unslaught.

The battles lasted nearly a month before the chaos forces managed to break through the orbital defenses. The Iron Warriors flag ship, the Iron Tempest, no match for the orbital defenses of the world and the ships of the astartes, positioned itself in orbit over the world as it let loose a hail of nuclear torpedoes and firebombs. The once lush landscape of Arcanno was turned into a hellish wasteland. Though most of the hive cities suffered greatly from the bombardment there were still survivors willing to fight for their home and they rallied against imposing figures, priests and goberners, preparing themselves to fight off the invaders, hive gangers and the planetary defense force setting aside their diferences to fight a common foe.

The only city who managed to survive the bombardment mostly unscathed was the planetary capital Dricia, due to its tall and thick walls as well as the defenses from the chapters fortress monastery. As the loyalists in orbit saw the devastation caused they called a massed retreat to the planets surface, led by Chapter Master Valem, however the chapters Master of the Fleet Thobias stayed put, covering the loyalist retreat, unwilling to abandon his men and his fleet in orbit. The war developed into a full on siege of the capital city, with enemy drop pods and drop ships supported by artillery pounded against its walls and attempted to land in its streets.

The siege lasted a week without the traitors being able to set foot inside the holy city, but the war in the sky was brutal and in favour of the Iron Warriors. Eventually the Golden Sons fleet was torn to pieces, one of its battle barges Spear of Hope fell towards the planet alongside remnants of the orbital platforms and other ships. Though most of them crashed in the wastelands a few managed to hit the hive cities, the most dreadfull of which was the brow of the Spear of Hope which broke through the walls of Dricia and hammered into the city. It left a wide open gap in the wall and the traitors did not waste the oportunity, their warlord hurling his troops towards the opening. The war for the city had begun.

The Golden Sons fought the traitors for weeks in pitched urban battles and skirmishes, covered in the dust and acid rain of the nuclear fallout, the loyal hivegangers and PDF aiding them, but many succumbing to the toxic environment. But the sons of Sanguinius stood ever proud. Chapter Master Valem, seeing how dire their situation had become, had decreed that all the chapters wargear should be available. Ancient suits of armour, weapons and machines were brought to the fore, ancient banners from the chapters founding and its millenia of existance where carried proudly into battle.

Though request had been sent for help, it had not yet arrived. The chapters council was sure that their brothers would send aid, though truly they feared that they had been forgotten and betrayed. After 2 and half months of siege, the loyalists had been beaten back the cathedral of the Angels Blood. There they prepared to sell their lives dearly. Chaplains prayed and blessed their brothers, mumbling whispers being carried on the wind, all else was silence. There was no grand inspiring speech, no heroic last claims, only the silence of doomed and betrayed men.

Roughly 200 marines remained. The last terminators gathered around Brother-Captain Wjelem of the 2nd, the foremost master of the TDA suit in the chapter, assault troops reinforced the flanks, lead by Brother-Captain Ivari Valk of the 7th, and the central battle line fell to the command of Brother-Captain Aaren of the 5th. Chapter Master Valem surrounded himself with the last survivors of the Sanguinary Guard, ready to seek out the enemies commanders and to aid the loyalists wherever the enemy broke their defenses.

The Battle of the Cathedral lasted 3 days, the loyalist fighting to the last man. At dusk on the third day, the loyalists numbers had fallen to a mere score of battle hardened veterans and their captain as the first signs of Imperial reinforcements arrived. Descending from the sky came the blood red drop pods of the Blood Angels and the Flesh Tearers, alongside a force of Black Templars, finally able to breach the enemy positions. They fought their way through the city and the streets, but when they arrived at the cathedrals plaza all they found was a massacre. Everywhere they looked they found the corpses of their brothers clad in the azure and golden yellow armour of the Sons. Amongs the dead they found only 2 survivors: Brother -Sergeant Stepankov and Captain Aaren, both of them heavily wounded, the last of the Golden Sons bloodline.

The traitors where beaten back and purged, but to the despair of the loyalists little was left to salvage from the world. What few relics of the Imperium and the Golden Sons where recovered, and loaded unto the imperial ships. It is said Lord Commander Dante upon hearing of the demise of one of their succesors wrotte their name into the annals of the Blood Angels and hung their banners on the walls of their Fortress monastery on Baal. The Bell of Lost Soulds rang heavily in honour of the fallen.

And then because it is said that the Flesh Tearers and Flesh Tearers(two of the Chapters the Golden Sons are being compared to) have extreme trouble with the Flaw, I think my brain made a few more comparisons and said the Golden Sons must also have been "fatally undone" by the Flaw.

I think one of those is supposed to be 'Flesh Eaters', yes? I do that from time to time. ^_^

And then because it is said that the Flesh Tearers and Flesh Tearers(two of the Chapters the Golden Sons are being compared to) have extreme trouble with the Flaw, I think my brain made a few more comparisons and said the Golden Sons must also have been "fatally undone" by the Flaw.

I think one of those is supposed to be 'Flesh Eaters', yes? I do that from time to time. ^_^

when your right hand thinks "A-Z" and your left thinks "Z-A", this is the result. :D

Hey, how do you guys go about making your marines grim-dark. I mean, a lot of 40k minis already have that grim dark feel, but painting a BA succesor in bright yellow and blue just doesnt seem to catch the feel. Any suggestions as what I can do to my Golden Sons?

BTW; Sorry its taking some time with the next marine, but work is taking its toll. With some luck he should be done in a couple of days.

Hey, how do you guys go about making your marines grim-dark. I mean, a lot of 40k minis already have that grim dark feel, but painting a BA succesor in bright yellow and blue just doesnt seem to catch the feel. Any suggestions as what I can do to my Golden Sons?

BTW; Sorry its taking some time with the next marine, but work is taking its toll. With some luck he should be done in a couple of days.

Battle Damage, bloodied weapons, corpses on bases (even easier with 32mm!) Dynamic posing, using certain bits (some helmets are a lot more imposing than others).

That's just some quick ideas!

Just so you know Im not slacking off, here is a picture of the chapter badge I attempted on one of the pauldrons:

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Philip_Breusch_Magnussen/2015-01-06221928_zps1715854e.jpg

And the marine Im currently working on:

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Philip_Breusch_Magnussen/2015-01-06221949_zps11e429e6.jpg

Im very sceptical about the chapter badge, there is something seriously bugging me about it making me want to try something else out. Too bad I will have to fix the pauldron. Im thinking angelic wings and blood drop, with the exception of the wings going upwards instead of outwards.

So you have complete and total leeway to do whatever you want. Although if I do say so myself, the idea of them not having too many afflicted by the Flaw and thus having an attitude of general disdain for those who succumb is a brilliant idea as it would live up to what little fluff tere is as well as giving you ample reason to not have Death Company. biggrin.png

This. This right here I like biggrin.png

This is the scheme I made up in case I was going to add some Death Company:

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Philip_Breusch_Magnussen/DeathCompany_zpsb9776bb3.jpg

I had another idea of using the DC rules for a sort of "Dark" sanguinary guard. Otherwise my thoughts for the chapter was that they either execute those fallen to the rage or simply ram them into the enemy lines, but it feels like a waist of time to repaint a fallen brothers armour black just to have him massacred huh.png

That sounds really good and to me fits the name Golden Sons as well in that maybe they could be a bit too proud of all the positive parts of being a Son of Sanguinius and in a way ignore / forget the major characteristic that makes the BA's plight so tragic (and therefore more interesting). Maybe the chapter spends less time praying / meditating to avoid the flaw because they don't like to acknowledge it and are naturally a bit more resistant to it which means that those that do succumb, succumb hard, and even for DC are particulalry uncontrollable or in such a rage they have to just be thrown to the front so they can gloriously and intensely fight to the death and they aren't around long after falling?

I like that idea Robotronic, maybe focusing the average praying time on combat training, as a way of releasing that bent up rage so as to better control their rage. Im gonna include that in the fluff!

Glad to help! A long time ago I was trying to come up with a name for a BA successor and independently came up with the Golden Sons before finding out they were an officially named chapter but they have hardly any official fluff which makes them perfect for DIY - it's a fitting name for BA successors that doesn't use the word blood or angel in some description.

It's good your fluff will address the Flaw head on because some BA successor DIYs seem to ignore it when it's integral to the BAs and their whole character and I like how they have a slight Lamenters vibe going on - not quite as extreme (the GS do have some brothers fall after all) - but the idea that ultimately if you are a BA or successor there is no escaping the terrible affliction that is the price of your father's heroic sacrifice and if you're "lucky" enough to avoid it wholly or slightly then there are a whole load of bad repercussions just waiting to befall you, e.g. extinction as in the case of the GS.

How do you like my squad sergeant, sergeant Darius:

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Philip_Breusch_Magnussen/2015-01-08220428_zps646aaf86.jpg

Is it just me or do bolters always look unbalacing and incredibly cumbersome when used in one hand?

Im trying to decide if I should continue with this scheme or switch to the Blood Drinkers or perhabs Angels Sanguine. I always have problems staying focused on one thing rolleyes.gif

Archived