The "sons of sanguinius painting guide": woo review

Chairman_woo

In short: for £20 I think it's a little insulting

The technique for painting red, while perfectly decent, is fairly basic and rather insultingly repeated (in detail) about 10-15 times throughout the book. (it's noticeably simpler way to do red than last editions guide)

Seriously this book has separate guides for Captains, terminators, sternguard, dreads, tacticals, command sq, assault and devastator. and every single one one has the exact same techniques for red, gold, faces, silver etc.

The only real exceptions are death company, flesh tearers and vehicles (& a couple of characters)

Don't get me wrong what it does teach is perfectly valid for all but fairly advanced painters but still, it may as well have been 20-30 pages for all it actually teaches you (maybe 40 if we include the successor chapters).

There are almost no advanced techniques in there to work towards at all. No Non metallic painting guide for gold. No blending your reds & oranges or any of the other stuff people might move towards as they get more experienced. (you know, stuff they always used to include in the painting guides as something to work towards)

Add to this that about 40% of the book is just a miniature showcase and not a painting guide and that £20 price tag seems outrageous even for a GW publication.

It could/should IMHO have been a 50-60 page supplement at most.

I guess if you have very little experience and you don't already own the more generic "how to paint space marines" you may get some mileage but there's definitely not £20 in this book.

I recommend you either get the "how to paint space marines" or the "how to paint citadel miniatures" books instead. They at least cover a fairly varied range of models, colours and techniques and frankly all that you need on top of that is the technique for bloodangels red (which is already visible on the website for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

In conclusion: About 70-80% filler, save your money! (Not bitter msn-wink.gif )

I bought it, also. I will agree that some of the steps are repetitive. The price point is a tad step, but the fluff in the book give additional information, which raises the value, toward the ideas that most people will want (i.e. 1st or 2nd company, death company, or flesh tearers). I have bought MANY of the how to paints that have been released especially on my iPad. I personally like the new printed format of the new how paints. The point of these is to help all hobbyists get their new models get to a good basic table top quality. Not Golden Daemon or Crystal Brush. If you are looking for that, do not spend your money, but oh, wait.... None of the past how to paints minus the masterclass book were about that. Ok, enough sarcasm. If it was bundled with a supplement at the going rate of all the supplements so far, it would have costed $75-90, and no one would buy it. If you are a new hobbyist and need help getting your new BA to a good tabletop quality, worth looking into. I'm happy with it, and I'm having to paint a lot of TDA.

i bought it, and as a new BA player and basic level painter, i really enjoy the tutorials. Also, the fluff and artwork is always great. It is definitely a luxury item, and if you have a well established BA army, you may as well pass it over. but for a newer player i would heartily recommend it!

For me it's the best part of the limited edition codex and way more valuable than a supplement, basically I'm a poor painter and have had to get all my (worth looking at models) professional painted. But with this guide it has allowed my to improve no end and im not embarrassed by the painting of what I have done since getting it.

I guess for the majority of people on here that are fantastic painters it's it may be below there standard painting but for us novices I'm really impressed

I bought it, also. I will agree that some of the steps are repetitive. The price point is a tad step, but the fluff in the book give additional information, which raises the value, toward the ideas that most people will want (i.e. 1st or 2nd company, death company, or flesh tearers). I have bought MANY of the how to paints that have been released especially on my iPad. I personally like the new printed format of the new how paints. The point of these is to help all hobbyists get their new models get to a good basic table top quality. Not Golden Daemon or Crystal Brush. If you are looking for that, do not spend your money, but oh, wait.... None of the past how to paints minus the masterclass book were about that. Ok, enough sarcasm. If it was bundled with a supplement at the going rate of all the supplements so far, it would have costed $75-90, and no one would buy it. If you are a new hobbyist and need help getting your new BA to a good tabletop quality, worth looking into. I'm happy with it, and I'm having to paint a lot of TDA.

When I say supplement I meant they should have sold this guide as a £5 soft cover jobby with about 50-60 pages (or digital whathaveyou). That could have given you just as much information as this new book does.

My main issue is that a really large volume of the painting guide is redundant and basically just filling in extra space. I could deal with the extended model catalogue if the rest of the book was packed with varied and useful content.

The guides themselves are solid for new and intermediate skill painters, I also liked the extra fluff and detail on squad markings and successor chapters. The 30-40% of the books content that was useful and interesting (maybe 50-60% if we count the model showcase) was great. 

But they had 200+ pages to work with and this was a expensive hardcover. I like I many I suspect thought that when buying a fancy bloodangel specific painting guide we would get more than the same basic painting techniques repeated over and over. 

I'm happy they included in depth guides with simple but very effective painting techniques, but I expected more given they have done in depth guides on painting nonmetalic gold and basic blending and glazing themselves in other publications. There is one specifically involving a NMM sanguinor I remember distinctly from when the model originally came out. 

This didn't feel like an unreasonable ask given the nature of the book but I am genuinely glad you are getting some mileage from it at least. 

Archived