Dreadnoughts - MM + HF shooting

tylerw

I managed to derp it up and post this in the HH Rules section, but I meant to post here:

Could someone roughly describe how to correctly resolve shooting when firing a Dreadnought's MM + HF at a vehicle?  I guess I'm a bit stuck - so, we pod in on turn one, but we can only fire 1 weapon at full BS, correct (so it would have to be the HF as it is a template weapon and cannot snapshot, assuming we wanted to fire both on turn 1, otherwise, if we're just cracking armor, we'll fire the MM)?

Then let's say we fire the MM first - obviously we're firing both weapons at the same target, but how does that restriction work with a flamer? Do we just have to set up our template to touch the vehicle, letting it roast things in the line of fire?

Also, how does it work vs transports? If the HF is firing on the vehicle, do the occupants burnbabyburn, or no? Then, if our MM first cracked the transport and they deploy into where we'd set up our HF template, would models bailing out into the line of fire be affected when we fire the HF, or do we "resolve" the effects of the two weapons firing before having the dudes bail out?

Thanks, and as always, rulebook page #s are fine - I have them, I just have a hard time tying it all together without seeing it presented (or reading it presented).

A Dreadnought follows the Walker rules for shooting.  See page 90 of the BWB.

- Regardless of how far it moved in the movement phase, it may still fire all of its weapons at full BS (unless it runs or is forced to snap-fire as a result of damage / hard to hit / etc.)

In terms of firing a Template weapon at a vehicle, see page 173 of the BWB.

- The Template must be placed to cover as much of the enemy vehicle as possible.

- Only Open-topped Transports (and Buildings) suffer from the effects of "No Escape"

The last is more of a General Shooting Phase issue:

- If you kill the Transport with the Multi-melta first, you cannot fire the Heavy Flamer, because the Transport is already dead and Dreadnoughts cannot split fire.

- If you fire the Heavy Flamer first, before destroying the Transport with the Multi-melta, then the Infantry Unit isn't on the table to be affected, so unless the Transport is Open-topped, they'll be unaffected.

You can't shoot the transported troops with the dreadnought, but you can charge them with the dreadnought in the same turn (if you are allowed to charge, didn't arrive from reserve etc.). Transport section.

Shooting at an open topped vehicle with a Flamer also targets the guys inside, so... Say my dual Flamer dreadnought flames an open topped vehicle, kills some guys inside, and also removes it's last Hull point, could it then use its other Flamer to target the squad, since it technically already shot at them?

You don't target the embarked unit, you target the Transport. The unit may suffer damage, but it's collateral damage. They aren't the targeted unit, the Transport is. Once the Transport is dead, the Dreadnought cannot fire any more weapons.

- - - - -

Now if it was a Dreadnought with 2 Heavy Flamers (Ironclad / Furioso) You would fire both at the same time as they are identical weapons. See "Select a Weapon" on page 30.

So you would inflict 2 hits on the Open-topped Vehicle and 2D6 hits on the transported unit.

A Dreadnought with Twin-linked Heavy Flamer and (a single) Heavy Flamer, however, will have 2 different weapons, so shoots each individually.

Not sure about the Ironclad, but the Furioso cannot have two heavy flamers. It can have a Frag Cannon (assault 2, template) and a heavy flamer. The Furioso would put 3 hits on the open-topped vehicle but still only 2d6 hits on the passengers.

Archived