Expanding my BA army, seeking advice on what to get

Helias_Tancred

Hey all. I have 2 games under my belt so far, one loss to Eldar (due to VPs) but we were both down to one surviving unit each, and one draw against Tau because we had to end early. Been having fun.

I have about $200 set aside to add to my army. I'm looking on strategic advice on which direction to go. Right now I'm thinking two more drop pods, an assault terminator squad, and a new tactical squad. But anyways here is what I have so far:

10 man tactical marine squad- flamer, missile launcher, leader with plasma pistol and chainsword, in a Rhino

10 man assault marine squad- 2 melta guns, leader with power axe

5 man assault marine squad- melta gun, leader with infernus pistol

10 man death company- bolters, 2x power fists, 1x infernus pistol, in a Land Raider Redeemer

5 man scout marine squad- sniper rifles, 1 missile launcher

Furioso Dreadnought- frag cannon, blood fist, heavy flamer, in a Drop Pod

Dreadnought- Las cannon, blood fist, heavy flamer, no dedicated transport

Chaplain- jump pack, crozius, and bolt pistol

Captain Tycho

Sanguinary priest- jump pack, power sword, bolt pistol

Dante

5 sanguinary guard- 2x power axe, 1 infernus pistol, company banner,

My strategy is to drop the furioso in the pod, he wrecks for a round or two while the rest of my forces try to get up to him. This doesn't always work out as planned especially if he gets taken out during round 1.

The Land Raider has not had the impact I thought it would, at least not in the first two games I've played. Its been a disappointment.

The snipers stink. I really want a second tactical squad as my #2 troop choice.

Tycho got nerfed this codex. I'm thinking of dropping him and running a Blood Angel Captain in his place.

I'm thinking adding 5 more sanguinary guard might be a good move too. They're pretty solid, especially with Dante and the Sanguinary Priest.

I'm also eyeing a Stormraven gunship. They are so cool IMO msn-wink.gif

So anyways I'm looking for strategic advice on what to add to my army, good directions to go that what I currently have would go well with, etc.

smile.png

Stormraven most definitely is what I would recommend. Adds an excellent element in the early to mid game. Bristles with guns and can drop units where you'd like. I wouldn't be without at least one. I am now running two and loving it.

Yep ... I'm thinking two more drop pods so I can start off the game dropping two on my enemy- the furioso dreadnought and the 5 man assault terminator squad. They would wreck and take some attention off my DC rolling in the Land Raider and my tactical squad rolling in the Rhino coming up on them. Also I'd stick second tactical squad in the reserve drop pod, along with a Stormraven carrying someone or something important. My second dreadnought usually sits back and uses his las cannon for ranged attacks and to know out enemy armor.

Sounds good. I do sincerely believe though that three drop pods are far superior to two. Being able to bring two units pretty much anywhere you want first turn is something I've found invaluable in most of my games. I drop two fragioso's to either distract or take care of a couple of threatening units. Game before this one there were two vindicators staring me down. Dropped my two dreads next to them and popped one, took the other down to one hull point and popped it turn two. Glorious. Last night I played Tau and popped his longstrike hammerhead turn one which severely hampered his game plan.

Drop pods and stormravens. I love 'em!

Yup, 3 drop pods and a Stormraven would work well and fit nicely with what you already have. If you get the models from Deathstorm then the Raven is a good way to get the DC Dread into combat without taking up a pod. Whilst he will not be able to charge until turn 3, he may well be safer than podding in and having to stand in the open for a turn. The difference in survivability between the DC Dread at AV12 and the Furioso at AV13 is significant.

I agree that Tycho has been nerfed painfully hard. For similar points, you should not find it hard to build a regular BA Captain who works better.

I would also suggest a few changes to your existing units. The 5-man assault squad can take a second melta gun and it is really worthwhile doing so. Also, give the Serg a second infernus pistol. For a few extra points, you are doubling the anti-tank firepower of the squad. I normally put a 5 man assault squad with 2 melta guns and dual-infernus serg in a drop pod as they can easily delete a tank on turn 1.

Lastly, I would suggest upgrading your Death Company to Jump Packs (especially as you have the JP Chaplain already).

Yup, 3 drop pods and a Stormraven would work well and fit nicely with what you already have. If you get the models from Deathstorm then the Raven is a good way to get the DC Dread into combat without taking up a pod. Whilst he will not be able to charge until turn 3, he may well be safer than podding in and having to stand in the open for a turn. The difference in survivability between the DC Dread at AV12 and the Furioso at AV13 is significant.

I agree that Tycho has been nerfed painfully hard. For similar points, you should not find it hard to build a regular BA Captain who works better.

I would also suggest a few changes to your existing units. The 5-man assault squad can take a second melta gun and it is really worthwhile doing so. Also, give the Serg a second infernus pistol. For a few extra points, you are doubling the anti-tank firepower of the squad. I normally put a 5 man assault squad with 2 melta guns and dual-infernus serg in a drop pod as they can easily delete a tank on turn 1.

Lastly, I would suggest upgrading your Death Company to Jump Packs (especially as you have the JP Chaplain already).

Agree with above comments....a SR and drop-pods seem like a good way to go. 

Concerning your LR being a disappointment, Eldar and Tau are two of the armies against which a LR is less effective. All Eldar anti-tank weapons are either lance or haywire; both of these weapon types ignore the AV14 of the land raider. I rarely bring a LR if I know I am facing Eldar or Dark Eldar. AV11 and AV12 vehicles are much more "point efficient" against them, since their lance weapons are treating your AV14 like AV12 anyway. 

Similarly, Tau often have AP1 S10 rail guns, sometimes with the tank hunter special rule. If they have a couple of these guns in their list, your opponent has a respectable chance to one-shot a land raider. Also, Tau can field haywire grenades. 

I wouldn't give up on the LR yet, but you may want to shelve it against Eldar, Tau, and DE.

Archived