Vehicle Upgrade Options

The Yncarne

What are your thoughts with upgrades with the 7th Edition Codex? What options do you tend to use? Do you have any "always, never, it depends" thoughts?

Since 6th edition, about the only upgrades I give vehicles have been storm bolters. With random weapon destroyed results, it seems to be a cheap way of potentially saving the big guns; for example on vindicators.

With overcharged engines now an option on a few vehicles, when is the best time to consider them?

I believe with dakka Baal predators, overcharged engines may still be a good purchase. What about vindicators? Is the extra flat out distance or potential range worth it with only the one (big and short ranged) gun?

I ran a pair of Siege Shield Vindicators last codex, and found myself getting a GREAT deal of use out of them being Fast. So, naturally, Over-charged Engines on them are a no-brainer for me. The siege shield is amazing for repositioning, too. Ignoring terrain AND having a decent amount of movement? Yes please.

As far as dozer blades go, I find those to also be a 'yes, always'. The amount of times I've immobilised something from just trying to mount a kerb...

I almost always get dozer blades, nothing worse than immobilizing that Baal first turn just. Often you want to drive through terrain to get into optimal firing position, and then those 5 points really pay of (Siege Shield on the other hand is too expensive imo, dozer blades to the job just fine). 

Overcharged engines on vindicators and preds is no-brainer as well, this upgrade is amazing.

Also I would never put that stormbolter on, my tanks usually just get glanced to death, it's been ages since I last got a weapon destroyed result ^^

As for always include:

siege shield (I've made siege shield of my own design and it looks to good to pass msn-wink.gif ) and overcharged engines on vindicator (this extra 6" help with short range of cannon)

dozer blade on flamer baal (it usually has to drive into cover to get enemies out of it)

If I have spare points:

hunter killer missles (great when fielding lots of vehicles, for the price of single attack bike and not using a FA slot, You can get 5 shots at different targets and enemy needs at lest 5 shots to destroy it msn-wink.gif )

extra armour on land raiders/dreadnoughts (this models are best when moving into assult)

Never:

strom bolters... wait I'll have to think over it again because reducing a chance of weapon destroyed sounds good tongue.png

Just played against a Guard army. His army had two Leman Russ tanks, a pair of chimeras and a 2 vehicle flak tank squad.

I ran a Sicaran, two Vindicators, and two las-plas Razorbacks.

Here's the sequential results of his shooting on my vehicles over the game.

Hit on a Razorback. Result: weapon destroyed (twin linked plasma).

Hit on the Sicaran. Result: destroyed.

Hit on a Vindicator. Result: weapon destroyed (storm bolter)

Hit on a Razorback. Result: shaken

Hit on a Vindicator. Result: stunned

So one time the storm bolter let me fire a bigger gun this game. Interesting test.

For me;

Overcharged Engines are likely to be on everything bar my Whirlwind.

A stormbolter will appear on most of my tanks if I have points to spare to help with the random weapon destroyed results.

I may use a Hunter Killer Missile, but it's not my preferred upgrade these days.

With the preponderance of Maelstrom missions, a dozerblade is making its way back into my lists.

I'm currently not using extra armour, but I may rethink this.

That said, in Apocalypse I use the lot :D

OC engines on everything buy whirlies.

OC especially on whirlwinds! :D

A fast whirlwind is a character/special weapon/banner/icon sniper that will get to fire every turn of the game until it is taken out. 

Dozerblades on everything, nothing worse than getting stuck in terrain turn one. 

A fast whirlwind is a character/special weapon/banner/icon sniper that will get to fire every turn of the game until it is taken out

And that's the clincher for me. In games, a visible whirlwind is usually a dead whirlwind!

That said, I got two baals for christmas and it would be good to put something long ranged and dangerous between them.

A fast whirlwind is a character/special weapon/banner/icon sniper that will get to fire every turn of the game until it is taken out

And that's the clincher for me. In games, a visible whirlwind is usually a dead whirlwind!

That said, I got two baals for christmas and it would be good to put something long ranged and dangerous between them.

Innuendo aside the overcharged engine will help that whirlwind stay out of trouble unless you have a really good LoS/cover spot in your deployment zone. 

Archived