Berzerkers optimum squad size

stev

So the discussion about the Khârn dataslate got me thinking about squad sizes for berzerkers. I usually run them 8 because I want khorne to love me but lots of people were talking bout min 5 man squads, I know it was partly points saving cuz the formation is expensive but would that size work?

I was just looking to see how other people run their berzerkers.

Mine are usually 7 marines (icon, veterans, 1 or 2 plasma pistols) + champ (power sword, melta bomb)

In rhino or landraider (blade, dirgecaster and maybe combiweapon or havoc launcher)

I like 8, it gives me room to add Khârn or a lord and still fit in a transport byt maybe I should be more open minded to experiment with different options???

BFTBG!!!!!!!!

Hiya mate, I always used to run my plague marines in groups of seven but recently I've started running two squads of five models and one squad of nine. The reason for this is I am less precious about losing my five man squads and am happy to throw them under the bus if necessary where as the nine man squad has a bit more staying power and acts as an anchor for the smaller squads. I would say that it would also work for your berserkers as they are also fearless. You could for instance charge in with a min. size squad to take the overwatch then charge in with another (each a five or eight man). 

For example

Khârn

8 berserkers (champ w/ lightning claw, icon)

Land Raider

5 berserkers (champ w/ combi flamer)

Rhino (combi flamer)

5 berserkers (champ w/ combi melta)

Rhino (combi melta)

Like I say I've been having success with a similar, plague marine based set up.

Problem with berserkers is that after the charge, theyre essentially just regular marines. They pretty much require a character beatstick in order to pull their weight and not flounder. I usually run 8 or 9, with icon and lightningclaw in a dreadclaw as a bodyguard for my Lord or unmarked Sorcerer.

12 or 13 is my go-to. It means that after a few die to shooting, I've still got enough to punch things to death with, and I don't have to stand around like a lemon after getting out of a Rhino.

Dragonlover

Yeah, 10 at least. Its the transportation issue that sucks. Go out, wipe out a squad, and if you started with 10 your still strong, 8 leaves you straggling around in my past experience, sacred number or not. :D

So if someone had 26 berzerkers how would he organise them to maximise killy awesome-ness??

(F.y.i theres one with a power sword, one with a power axe and 5 with plasma pistols but I dont mind swapping out different weapons)

P.s. these dudes will have access to a landraider and two rhinos if that makes a difference. If you want to give opinions on vehicle options that would be cool too

Archived