Captain - any good?

nevaenuffbass

In this dex, we can now make:

Captain, jump pack, artificer armour, storm shield, valours edge, melta bombs (150pts).

Among other uses, leading with a chaplain and a big unit of DC....

Can anyone tell me why this is a bad idea before I rush out and buy the emporors champion model, give it wings and blood angels icons, and make up a cool name for him?

Its not bad choice, its just Librarians are cheaper and more flexible than captains. Even captain do get 4++ they are bit... one dimentional units. They're not certainly bad in anyway IMHO, its just Librarians are more flexible because all of the psychic phase and etc... And considering Sanguinary priests are HQ now, our HQ section is pretty crowded... Not like captain is bad, its just there are better options but captain is still good choice if you like playing aggressively and want to forfeit psychic phase entirely or lose sanguinary priest's buffing ability if you play with battle forged armies.

A fighty captain is pretty effective you just have to decide if you want raw combat potential rather than the less fighty but more buffy options available elsewhere in the HQ section.

Personally, if you want a fighty, JP character I would go for Dante. 70 points more than the character you describe but comes with EW (a big deal on a T4 character), S6 in CC and an infernus pistol. He also gives the guaranteed Descent of Angels (which may or may not be useful). More importantly, as a Lord of War he does not use up an HQ slot meaning that you can have the best of both worlds with a fighty character and still take the various buffing HQs on offer.

I like to run a fighty JP Captain, and I like to call him a cheapskate Dante. Usually, I don't have that many points left over, so even if I brought Dante, I couldn't take another Priest or Librarian in my current list. Personally, I like my HQ to be able to beat someone up. Preferably another HQ, in an epic duel. I believe that right now, we can actually do that with our Captains even when you're on a budget.

What I don't like about Librarians, Chaplains and even Sang Priests...they pretty much suck in CC, but since my army is quite melee-focused that's exactly where I like to end up at best. Dante is probably the better choice, but I'm short on points, usually. And I like to run non-named HQ's, usually.

I think in the new codex Captains are a viable choice for cheap beatsticks, especially when supported by priests.

I'd also really like to run a Librarian, but I'm not sure how he could fit in my list. Perhaps with a doubled FOC, because I don't want to leave my Priest back home.

Snorri

edit: Redundant Snorri is redundant.

My argument is the librarian like the previous codex entry lacks an invulnerable save meaning he cannot stand up to anything most times. My librarians continously die to high initiative power weapon toting enemy characters. I usually lose challenges and even hitting first, a power fist makes him go spooch. I tend to equip them with a jump packs attached to assault sqaud units or attached to verteran units in a land raider. Am I missing something, how do you overcome this.

My argument is the librarian like the previous codex entry lacks an invulnerable save meaning he cannot stand up to anything most times. My librarians continously die to high initiative power weapon toting enemy characters. I usually lose challenges and even hitting first, a power fist makes him go spooch. I tend to equip them with a jump packs attached to assault sqaud units or attached to verteran units in a land raider. Am I missing something, how do you overcome this.

Librarians are not good fighters, Chaplains are no better but they at least get an invuln by default. If you want an HQ who can hold their own in a fight you need a Captain equivalent character. Power weapons are easy to get so 3+ armor doesn't save you, low wounds with no invuln leave you easy for even power weapon toting sergeants to kill you.

If you want a really strong libby you pretty much need biomancy powers to make him live.

Archived