Question regarding Exterminatus Formations

Bukimimaru

Hey guys, I've been playing around with some of the cool new formations, and I've hit a bit of a road block. I've tried looking through the core rule book to no avail so I was hoping my brothers here could point me in the right directions.

I have (more or less) avoided using unbound and formations up until know, focusing on one CAD, so this might sound glaringly obvious to people who use them frequently.

Can I add independent characters (Captain Carlien for example) from my Primary detachment to a unit from a separate formation (in this case a Terminator Squad from the Archangels Orbital Intervention Force)?

Thanks in advance, Maru.

follow up question: Does said independent character enter with the formation if they were to deep strike?

I would really like to know this too.

I've got one of the sweet new Terminator Librarians and Captain Carlian from the Deathstorm box and I want to attach them to Terminator units in the AIOF formation via Deepstrike. Is this cool rules wise or not?

follow up question: Does said independent character enter with the formation if they were to deep strike?

No, formations have a set number of models. However, if the benefits of the formation are worded to affect units, he would also gain them as he is part of a unit in the formation. If the rules affect models he is out of luck.

if you're taking "Karl", plus the archangel formation, and wish for him to be attached to one of the archangel formation's terminator squads for the purpose of deep striking onto the table, yes; you can do this.

the A.O.I.F. formation just lets you field 3 of any kind of terminator squads, without restrictions.  they all start in deep strike reserve, and all enter the table on a single deep strike reserves roll.  then, the units in the formation can run and then shoot on the turn they arrive.

the way special rules behave back and forth between units and independent characters in the 7th edition rule book now make it so Karl should be able to attach to one of the squads and have the rest of the formations rules still work without issue.

well, it's situational.

the easiest method to go by to be safe is; if you're taking a specific character in addition to a certain formation in the hopes of combining them, read how they phrase the restrictions, and how they phrase the special rules the formation gains.

several of the formations we gained in Exterminatus state you're either gaining the following method of deployment for the formations forces, which is completely okay and works with any IC you choose to field with the models so long as they can join and enter the table the same way the squad they're with enters. (terminator characters with terminator squads that will be deep striking.  jump pack characters with jump pack squads. foot characters with foot infantry in a transport assuming there's enough room left in it to allow this.)  after that, it will state they gain a special rule for the units in that formation, and for the ones that won't allow additional squads in your army or attached characters to the formations squads to gain the benefits that formation gains will explicitly say so in their description.  so if it doesn't say you can't attach a guy and have him reap the benefits the squad gains, then you're okay again.  Lastly, some just state the formation gains a pre-made Special Rule from the core rulebook.  in that case, you just need to see if the Special Rule in the core rulebook states if it will confer to an attached IC or not.  So far as i can tell, 7th edition made it so all Special Rules that are given to a unit or IC, and not their weapons, will always confer back and forth between them.  I say that having not recently reviewed the book myself though, so there may be a couple that im not aware of that don't; i don't play/own any non-power armour armies, so i don't bother to memorize rules that don't apply to them.  so there may well be a couple that don't confer back and forth that just don't crop up into my army lists.

...that was a bit or a wordy paragraph, but i think that more or less should cover your question.

The problem is there is no order of operations or explicit wording in these situations.

It arose in the GK book as well in the Nemesis Strike Force formation and Deep Striking turn 1.

GW don't address these things and leave it to us to trawl through the ambiguous wordings to work it out ourselves.

Archived