Possible new DA Codex for 2015 ...

Isiah

Maybe it's worth looking in the general direction of BA Codex instead smile.png They lost some uniqueness, but their book is perfectly fine.

I do not care for competitiveness, despite playing on tournaments. I can do well with just about any codex. What I care most about is that it is fun to play. Without flavour or uniqueness there is no reason to play a book for me. It becomes boring. BA forces me to take Tacs or Scouts as mandatory choice. That pretty much seals the deal for me.

There's plenty of unique formations and detachments you can take as BA that don't require you to take tac/scouts and still be bound.

I do share your concern on the codex becoming bland.  The banners and knight units really give us flavor and a way to play space marines thats drastically different from other armies which I appreciate.  My hope is that rad grenades and the banners stay the same with their core mechanics.  Maybe the way they are employed is different but the actual buff stays the same.  Like maybe the dakka banner is a one time use bolter banner that is cheaper, but is board wide instead of a small bubble and doesn't require clumping up as much.  Makes it good but not potentially too good to limit your mobility or how you play/list build each time

after reading the rumors about 9th edition fantasy and considering i play Bretonnia (that will be probably blasted to pieces)  i remember old wise man words:

when you think that you have reached the bottom remember that you can start digging...

so i prepare for the worst hoping in a couple of new miniatures to paint...

if the codex will be good it will be a nice bonus to the amazing miniature range, if not i will have the miniatures to put on display near to the other ones...

Yeah, they can alter effects, just keep unit synergy.

Yup synergy is the important part, they seem to have kept the synergy aspect alive with BA so I hope they can do the same for us.  Like BA's ap 2 at initiative relic, at first I was underwhelmed by it, it seemed nice but lacked the teeth of something like the burning blade/shield eternal.  Then you realize that with army wide furious charge and optional red thirst and sanguinary priest buffs it suddenly becomes a much scarier weapon in the right hands.

If I had to venture a guess I would say we will see a shift of all our unique units to the middle power-wise.  This will mean a large retooling of both ravenwing and deathwing, and probably slightly nerfed black knights (as sad as that is, i see it potentially happening), and reworked deathwing knight rules that make them simpler (they are decent now, but some of their rules are overly complicated and confusingly written).  But also better balanced flyer/speeder rules.  Our special characters will also need to be largely revised, as they are in a weird place right now and don't match up with 7th ed philosophy, many of ours have a built in troop tax that I see going away.  I also see a complete "back to the drawing board" approach to our wargear, banners and relics, maybe a few are kept the same or slightly modified, but I see a lot of changes there.  I also firmly believe/hope we get our own unique "interromancy" DA psychic table as that has been the trend with 7th ed SW and BA so far.  Everything will be dumbed down slightly initially, but the unique detachments and formations, new warlord traits and potential psychic powers will add back in synergy that will put us in a similar or hopefully better and more balanced place then before. 

There will no doubt be change, but thats gonna happen regardless.  I think there will be a lot of people upset the first week the codex comes out, whenever that may be, but a month or two down the line the dust will settle and the emotions will subside and people will get back to playing the DA they love again.  Just don't sell off your whole army in angry protest until youve had time to think about it.  I've seen people at our local club do the same with Orks and BA when they first came out, now they either regret it or continually try and convince themselves and others how bad the codex is to keep from thinking it was a terrible impulse decision, while everyone else who waited it out is having a blast with the new dex' and options. 

I could also be completly wrong and we could just be rolled into Chaos space marines 7th ed, so who knows.

Just my two cents.

... which we will probably get. After all we had one in 3rd Edition with plasmacannon and the awful 'arms in the air' robed chainsword / plasma pistol sergeant, and one from earlier with power sword sergeant.

Cheers

I

Present boxes will not disappear, so even if all else fails, we would still have the best models around msn-wink.gif

yes... and i have them all...

but considering the BA release i hope for a new DA themed tactical squad... msn-wink.gif

Maybe we get more emphasis on Plasma. Weren't DA supposed to have bucket-loads of them. But I doubt that DA tacs will come out because a DA upgrade set exists (unlike BA) and with BA everyone had ASM, so GW used it as a reason to remove them from Troops and sell the tacs. GW makes more money of Bikes and TDA, so here's to having it remain the same.

I also do not hope that they come out because GW wants to sell new models and thus we will most likely lose RW and DW Troops so GW can sell the Tacs box at all.

Present boxes will not disappear, so even if all else fails, we would still have the best models around msn-wink.gif

but considering the BA release i hope for a new DA themed tactical squad... msn-wink.gif

Maybe we get more emphasis on Plasma. Weren't DA supposed to have bucket-loads of them. But I doubt that DA tacs will come out because a DA upgrade set exists (unlike BA) and with BA everyone had ASM, so GW used it as a reason to remove them from Troops and sell the tacs. GW makes more money of Bikes and TDA, so here's to having it remain the same.

I also do not hope that they come out because GW wants to sell new models and thus we will most likely lose RW and DW Troops so GW can sell the Tacs box at all.

Whilst I expect you're right, this would still disappoint me. DW and RW are good, but not that good. Make Greenwing good enough that more people want to play them, not the other way of nerf the little good that we have just to make the rest seem ok in comparison.

I don't know why they can't but I wish we could have HQ using Orbital Bombardment too. Don't we have a correct fleet of nice and powerful vessels to shoot ray of death on the ground ? ^^

I would think that is something they would give Azrael but I doubt it. Don't think Dante or Gabriel Seth got Orbital Bombardment. Doesn't make sense but hey not a lot in this game does.

Bring on the new codex, I'm not scared!

I would assume that Azrael would get 2 Warlord Traits or something along those line to reflect the great tactician that he is (comparable to Marneus Augustus "SmackdaddyPapaSmurf" Calgar... he was, afterall, in 3rd ed comparable to Calgar and better than Dante and Logan for his tactical (was it tactical or was it strategic? i forgot) pts.) and or Seize the Initiative bonus. Something along those lines. But new codex should come with shuffling of points and weapons stats adjustment. A welcome change imho. 

Mark my words. DW Assault will be gone and moved to the DW detachment, much like Scout and Hit and Run will be moved the RW detachment, meaning that the dualwing synergy that we know will die. The GW funpolice wants to forcr feed us their linear gameplay..

Mark my words. DW Assault will be gone and moved to the DW detachment, much like Scout and Hit and Run will be moved the RW detachment, meaning that the dualwing synergy that we know will die. The GW funpolice wants to forcr feed us their linear gameplay..

This would kill DA...

but considering the BA release i hope for a new DA themed tactical squad... ;)

Meaning it gives the opportunity to release a tactical boxset WITHOUT grav weapons and therefore let the DA codex without this weapon (particularly bikes)

You'll be able to do that in case of special detachment.

Just take a RW detachment and a DW detachment and you get it...

When you see how the BA formations allow nice things... I'm looking forward for DA ones.

Come on people... There is still only a rumour about a possible Codex. Why all the doom and gloom? Last Codex had a departure from the previous and it is miles better.

This one can get just a small pollish for 7th for all we now. It is still early go gamble that they will cut our legs. Maybe they cut our legs and give us some nice cybernectics to compensate. DA Codex as been selling bikes and terminators for GW for decades, I doubt they will change that status quo. ;)

Well, try seeing it from my perspective. I spend weeks on one model. All my models are highly customized conversions.

I'll spend a ton of times building a DA force I like and suddenly I won't be able to play it that way? Then why bother at all. It is a very bad situation right now. Do I attempt to rekindle a linking for the SW codex, which I tried several times and failed, or do I take my chances in creating an army I like but with the risk of it all being for nothing.

I understand your situation, you had a bad timing... but I want this thread to keep away from the downward spiral of doom and gloom. You said your piece several times and I empathyze with your situation because it is a difficult one but I'm just trying to keep things generally positive.

Archived