To Axe or To Sword on a Librarian?

Klazien

So pretty simple, im kit bashing a new Librarian, and thinking of going Sword. In our 5th edition codex it was axes all the way. But looking at Quicking and just for that I feel sword is winning.

So whats the flavour out there for our Librarian with the new codex?

Depends on what you want him to be good at. I'd say that in general, with the new 'dex and our new access to army-wide +1 I on the charge and Quickening, on-Initiative weapons got a huge boost. That said, if you want to be really good at gacking 'nids or 2+ opponents, nothing beats the axe.

Or, for that, you could always just bring a terminator librarian, S 10 at initiative.

Or, for that, you could always just bring a terminator librarian, S 10 at initiative.

I see S10 at initiative on a Librarian Dreadnought, but how do you get S10 on a TDA librarian?

By bringing a librarian dreadnought, but typing "terminator" by accident. It's a little known rules loophole.

Or, in real life, "my bad." That's what I meant.

It used to be;

Only character in the unit: Sword or Staff

Multiple characters in the same unit: Axe

I'm still leaning in that direction (primaris can be used to buff the other character in a unit after all) even with the I boost on the charge. 

It used to be;

I'm still leaning in that direction (primaris can be used to buff the other character in a unit after all) even with the I boost on the charge.

Still do this.

Well Im doing a JP Librarian, so im going sword. Best take advantage of the wreaking 3+. staff might be my next project for a walking Librarian. Wasn't even thinking of that.

Good ideas on how to properly use an Axe

It used to be;

This.

(Though the staff is a good call now)

I like the axe, so that the Librarian doesn't step forward to attack until Initiative 1.  By staying towards the back of the squad he's in, it takes a huge volume of wounds to get to him and potentially kill him.

High Initiatives are for Dante, or Captains equipped for maximum resilience.

The staff has a merit if you want to do damage primarily by psychic powers or indirect buffs. Personally I have a hard time getting enough WC for that, a few powers just to up combat potential works better IMHO. Unless you have allies to provide cheap extra WC.

The staff has a merit if you want to do damage primarily by psychic powers or indirect buffs. Personally I have a hard time getting enough WC for that, a few powers just to up combat potential works better IMHO. Unless you have allies to provide cheap extra WC.

I wish I could use the staff in my other army.   It would be awesome there.

If you're only having a librarian HQ and no other more nasty melee HQ could use it, the Valour's Edge is a very nice option, so if you pick a sword, you can always say that it's that, i guess if you have another HQ to use it then its more open to debate but i still prefer swords personally.

I don't like the idea of the axe on less survivable units like a librarian, no invulnerable, and less wounds, i guess if you have a lot of red shirts around him its not as bad, but again like everyone else has been saying the extra Init is really nice, and the axe seems to waste that potential.

If you're only having a librarian HQ and no other more nasty melee HQ could use it, the Valour's Edge is a very nice option, so if you pick a sword, you can always say that it's that, i guess if you have another HQ to use it then its more open to debate but i still prefer swords personally.

I don't like the idea of the axe on less survivable units like a librarian, no invulnerable, and less wounds, i guess if you have a lot of red shirts around him its not as bad, but again like everyone else has been saying the extra Init is really nice, and the axe seems to waste that potential.

The libby can take a storm shield for two melta bombs, just like VV. That seems pretty resonable to me.

The libby can take a storm shield for two melta bombs, just like VV. That seems pretty resonable to me.

Only in TDA though.

Archived