help with ideas for my Da successor

Hey guys now il be honest ive got bored of the chaos narine codex so im looking to turn them loyalist. Now my thinking is a Dark Angels successor who turns renegade but still protects the imperium. Now my thinking is they will use any means necessary even if that means using forbidden sorcery. Now id like some help wuth fluff

For example recruitment. Now due to their renegafe dtatus im thinking they will be fleet bound and may acfually hide out in the maelstrom/the warp.

I think the main issue I see is that a DA Sucessor that knows of the Fallen will hardly turn renegade. DA have the purest gene-seed and their paranoia makes them very tightly knit and monitor each other closely. Maybe a Sucessor that is not Unforgiven can turn renegade easier, but that is not probably what you are looking for.

Also being a DA Sucessor the use of sorcery would be forbidden and hidding in the warp would be frowned upon.

What I am trying to say is that DA are a very loyalist bunch and they do anything to keep their secret so a DA Sucessor going renegade is very unlikely because they are basically still a Legion for all but name.

I think the main issue I see is that a DA Sucessor that knows of the Fallen will hardly turn renegade. DA have the purest gene-seed and their paranoia makes them very tightly knit and monitor each other closely. Maybe a Sucessor that is not Unforgiven can turn renegade easier, but that is not probably what you are looking for.

Also being a DA Sucessor the use of sorcery would be forbidden and hidding in the warp would be frowned upon.

What I am trying to say is that DA are a very loyalist bunch and they do anything to keep their secret so a DA Sucessor going renegade is very unlikely because they are basically still a Legion for all but name.

My idea for them is while Azrael considers them to still be loyal the inquisiton dosent see it that way. Of course not wanting to put the rest of the lions sons in danger Azrael agrees that they are renegades or thats how it appears on the surface (unknown to the inquisiton he still considers them loyal). now i can definately see them going alobg the lines of well if they consider us traitors and sorcerors then lets become that

I do'nt pretend to know much about Dark Angels, but here is my insight. If you're chaos, you're chaos.
You have to think about the fact that the dark angels are going to such an extent to protect their honor and existence from the consequences of half of them betraying the imperium that I hardly think Azrael would be inclined to consider "renegades" as fellow sworn brothers. After all they hunt their once fellow brothers and kill them without giving them a chance for redemption.
What you could play with, might be a sucessor chapter that is considered "renegade" by the inquisition for some past deeds, like the one in the codex who abandonned the defence of a world agaisnt a waaaagh to go hunt a fallen. DA might not think of them as traitors, since they hunt the fallen, but the Imperium might.

My 2 cents.

PS : I would love to see a lore about fallen dark angels secretly fighting for the imperium or seeking redemption. But I don't know how it could be correctly tied in the fluff.
PS 2 : If you want to play your chaos army as Dark Angels, just ask your opponent and voilaaaaaaa.

The first legion does go to extremes to hunt the fallen, but forbidden sorcery and the like sound TOO extreme Even for us.

As others have our want is to stay as low key as possible. If the Azrael situation you prompted occurred my guess is Azrael would dissolve and reintegrate the chapter across many other successors. Gets to bolster the legion and could save face with the inquisition by having that chapter "disappear".

It would be interesting to have them believe what you've said, renegade, but think that Azrael supports them, when in reality the first legion is hunting them and their warped touched minds are too corrupt to process it.

My two monopolies, :cuss

I like the creativity with the story, one big problem though is that with how secretive the DA are and carefully with anything even remotely close to chaos I don't see that chapter being allowed to operate under the DA banner, probably would be branded as fallen before they even had the chance.

Oh definitely, renegade DA are probably prized targets because they might be connected to a Fallen. I almost feel like the Unforgiven would terminate a Chapter of their brotherhood before they would let it an entire one go off renegade. In reality, that probably would never happen, because if the "renegade" issue started or showed up in the Inner Circle folks (probably incredibly unlikely), then those folks would likely be eliminated by the rest of the Inner Circle. If it started in the lower ranks, then there would probably be an increase in Servitors or Marines would die in battle very quickly.

"Master of Sanctity" gives us a really good view of some Inner Circle workings as well as hints on the levels of control that can be exercised over Marines due to hypnotherapy key word implantation during training. It also shows the lengths that the members of the Inner Circle are willing to go to for capturing a Fallen, and even indicates that an Inner Circle member who is derelict in his duty will be effectively "burned in battle", always pressed into the fore and left to die if need be. These members are expected to find a way to end their life in battle, secretly stripped of their titles by the Inner Circle. Given that situation, it leaves little doubt in my mind that Inner Circle members would do the same or deliberately arrange the deaths of line Marines to keep the secret or capture a Fallen.

A renegade Chapter of Unforgiven stretches my suspension of disbelief past the breaking point. However, a Chapter that comes from the Dark Angels gene-line that is unknown to both the Chapter and the Dark Angels and have never been brought into the fold of the Unforgiven and been tested, found fit, and had the secrets divulged to their upper leadership - totally possible that they'd go renegade whole hog, but then they are no different than a renegade Chapter of Codex-adherent Marines.

I don't see how this Chapter could exist as renegades without being hunted down, but admit I have thought along similar lines at times.  I am working on fluff for my chapter Angels of Solace.  The Chapter would be made up of loyal Marines from all DA chapters.  These Angels would be those exposed to the truth but not raised to DW or RW.  Could be their failure to acknowledge the Fallen or that the lies may be too much.  This Chapter would be run by the most loyal of the DA and heavy on Loyal Librarians (New Data Slate helped play into this) to maintain ideals Librarians use thier abilities to assure this with a heavy helping of Asmodai's best Interrogator Chaplains keep them inline.  They would be stead fast in their duties in maintaing their beliefs and would use zealot rule or something similar.  Still need to flesh this out a bit.  Also waiting to see where Cypher falls in the next book now that he has let himself be taken.  I know the Bain of the DA, but how many Fallen has he led the Chapter to.  Plus who better to lead a bunch of Zealots after the Fallen or against Khorne and other legions who fight against the Emperor?  Ok maybe a little far, but that is what I am thinking.  

This came about from so many DV Tactical Squads folks were dropping for cheap and I couldn't pas them up.  Thinking a Black or maybe Steel  with black accents and Green DA Shoulder pads or possibly Green with armor with Original 1st Legion Helmet and shoulder pads in black with red.  Who knows my Chapter maybe the one sent to put down you band of renegades.

MS

Archived