A use for Veterans? (Sanguine Wing formation)

IanSturrock

My Veterans are still mostly sitting on the shelf. Primed and half-finished and... well, I lost heart, a bit. Fantastic models but just rubbish unless run as a PA Command Squad, and in that case I only need five of them with bolters.

So, I'm going to paint them as Guardians of the Covenant, and use the Sanguine Wing rules for them, from the Exterminatus book.

Essentially you have to buy two 10-man squads of Vanguard Vets and one 10-man squad of Sternguard, plus a Stormraven, all at Blood Angel codex prices. But you then get free power weapons or lightning claws on all the Vanguard, and free combi-weapons or storm bolters on all the Sternguard.

Suddenly Vets become viable again. With scrounging and converting and pulling apart old minis, I've assembled enough veterans or veteran-looking dudes to do the trick, along with 15 jump packs (need to pick up another five jump packs). I've added storm shields to a couple of the Vanguard Vets who have lightning claws. Will get some pics up once assembly is nearly complete.

I'm pleased with this. I doubt it will be a super-competitive choice, but it is MUCH better than paying way over the odds just to make Vets any better than 2-attack Marines.

Don't mind me asking, but did you mean topost this in the BA forum?

Because there is nothing wrong with DA vets (apart being old) and to play with that much BA stuff, well, I rather play BA instead. ;)

true haha. Imo our veterans are superior to vanguard veterans and compare favorably vs sternguard

Dark Angels veterans are the stamp mark for our army, all robed and hooded.

I love them and I never field those units

But because I love those models, all my tactical marines have robes, most of my bikers have robes, even drivers of attack bikes have robes.

Most of my terminators also have robes.

For me, problem solved.

Until I will actually want to field veterans.....

Dark Angels veterans are the stamp mark for our army, all robed and hooded.

I love them and I never field those units

But because I love those models, all my tactical marines have robes, most of my bikers have robes, even drivers of attack bikes have robes.

Most of my terminators also have robes.

For me, problem solved.

Until I will actually want to field veterans.....

Robes are awesome. I want to wear robes while playing robed models and end the not-robed heretic on the opposite end of the table ;)

No, I meant to post it here, because I'd be using a standard Dark Angels detachment (HQ, 2+ troops, etc.) plus the formation. The formation is technically a BA or even Flesh Tearers one... but using DA models, because I have 20+ veteran models and want to make use of them in a reasonably competitive way. They're way overpriced in our codex, especially if you actually want to give them power weapons and/or combi-weapons.

But they are not overpriced though, for combi weapon delivery. Actually they are one of the cheapest possible options for combi weapon delivery. If they survived, their normal base 2 attacks can be used, if they don't... well... we're not breaking the bank with them. They are after all 5 pts cheaper compared to Sternguards and costs the same as our old tactical squad on 4th ed. They ended up the same too with sternguards after they unload.... back to the case. I admit, however, that they are totally, completely, spectacularly unimpressive compared to sternguard veterans special ammo, but they got their uses... and they do it competently enough (Suicide Combi Weapon Team biggrin.png). How many pts do you think they should be, if you think they are overpriced?

Sure, Sanguine Wings is cheaper for the sternguards with combies, but you have to take 20 men Vanguards with jump packs and a Stormraven. If i put that many pts already on BA, i might as well use BA... just like Chaplain Lucifer said. Then again though, i hate them playing as Space Vampires, so i don't think it'll ever happen. msn-wink.gif

Basically for 22 points I can have a Sanguine Wing veteran with a power sword and Furious Charge AND a jump pack.

Or for 33 points I can have a DA codex veteran with a power sword and... Grim Resolve. I am underwhelmed.

(For reference, for 32 points I could have a Sanguine Wing veteran with a lightning claw and Furious Charge AND a jump pack... AND a Storm Shield!)

We're back at the point where the stuff in our codex is frequently just objectively worse than that in other codexes. Not always, but often. On the upside, GW have given players a whole bunch of formations that we can use in our armies even if they're not all from our codex. I am just suggesting using them.

Vanguard Veterans outside that formation though paid about the same price as our Vets does..... that's not counting jump pack. That's the formation that is buffing them to an "competitively-acceptable" level aka underpriced. IF we get some formations, i would hope we get something akin to that.... like free plasma pistol, cuz everybody know we all loved plasma rite :D hehehehe.  That btw, is gonna be pretty cool too. Freebies are always nice. 

I think you are wanting oranges to be apples. Da vets can't do what BA do. That much is certain.. but they can do something else, good, for their points. If you wait maybe in this year you get better vets. For me the thing that doesn't sell your idea is that many points invested in a BA formation you could have better synergy by going full BA. That and using DA models with rules other than DA just because they are not special enough... I just can't do it.

Archived